Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the silent platform

Reputation: 40.9Reputation: 40.9Reputation: 40.9Reputation: 40.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree about left wing profs having little to no influence on students own personal beliefs. the left wing bias is still found in the university establishment - student papers, student groups, etc

in my experience as founder of the u of m campus conservatives, the left has a stranglehold on universities (in forms of student union executives, etc) because conservatives on campus have very little desire to get involved with typical university ventures (i am the only conservative who writes for the school paper, for example)

the conservatives in my campus club want to finish their degree, get a job, join the workforce and build a career for themselves. the lefties want to stick around for another 5 years to get their masters degree in fine arts or something or other. in the meantime, they are fighting with eachother over students union jobs so they can get plum CFS and NDP appointments in the future.

and the students union gets big headlines by holding rallies in favour of lowering tuition, ensuring minority access to education, shutting down conservative and pro-life campus groups in the name of "equality", and lobbying the provincial NDP gov't for whatever. in short, by pursuing a far left agenda.

there are far more conservatives on the u of m campus than i had previously thought. but like i said, they generally keep to themselves and their studies, and don't bother with "student life" so much. personally, i think universities being "Leftist Bastions" is just the result of a very very vocal minority having control of the reigns.

just my opinion, anyway.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because conservatives are too busy with real jobs in the real world.
mr12387

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think conservatives tend to have a certain amount of tact that many leftists lack. I go to university to learn about the subject matter indicated in my courses, not to be indoctrinated. I think conservatives tend to respect that principal more.

My worst case of indoctrination was when I took an Arabic crash course run by the undergraduate student society. The amount of propaganda being spewed out of the mouth of the man who was there to teach me a new language was staggering. From lying about the Arabs motives for conquering North Africa, to giving us a map of the Middle East and implicitly stating his beliefs that Israel has no right to exist, to totally misleading us about the history of the language and its influence in other languages (One example: I have good knowledge of Greek and he was using faulty logic to explain to us the Arabic origins of several words when they are in fact Greek). It was appalling. I'll never forget the day he he asked what other languages we speak and it was established I was Jewish. He had a blank stare on his face for a bit -- one I enjoyed very much :lol: .
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr12387 wrote:
He had a blank stare on his face for a bit -- one I enjoyed very much :lol: .

Heh... almost worth sitting through the nonsense, eh? :lol:

-Mac

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: