Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: is it wrong to be philisopical? Reply with quote

is one not perpetuating one's own problom by looking at them phlisopically. Shouldn't we all just ignore phlisophy because nobody can ever ancer it but rather only think that they have ancered it wich brings up another hoast of phlisofical questions. it seemes like if what i have just stated is true then being philisofical is only ignorant because by being philisofical one only discovers new questions and fools themselves into beliveing falce imagened ancers. am i doing it right now?
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.....Is it against your philosophy to use a spell check? Take it from one of the worlds worst spellers, I am not just being nit picky, it is very distracting.....and takes away from any point you maybe trying to get at.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: spell check Reply with quote

i compleatly agree with you, how would i spell check it on this site though?
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Internet Explorer I downloaded the following spell checker, recommended by a computer geeky friend of mine. It lays in my tools section of my toolbar and I have had no problem over the two or three years I have used it.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
I have Internet Explorer I downloaded the following spell checker, recommended by a computer geeky friend of mine. It lays in my tools section of my toolbar and I have had no problem over the two or three years I have used it.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Download and use Firefox 3 - it has a spell checker built in and it's a lot less insecure as IE - please do yourself a favor and don't use IE anymore:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
DMcW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty:

No offence but are you sure you're not Stephane Dion. I think you've got some important points… but I can't understand you.

cheers
don muntean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMcW wrote:
Rusty:

No offence but are you sure you're not Stephane Dion. I think you've got some important points… but I can't understand you.

cheers

:lol:
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: spelling Reply with quote

i could of either of gone to school and learnt how to spell or have gotten a snack. i chose to make a snak for eight years. Its not my fault i cant spell though, because after all "do you think it's easy to make priorities"!
don muntean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: is it wrong to be philisopical? Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
is one not perpetuating one's own problom by looking at them phlisopically. Shouldn't we all just ignore phlisophy because nobody can ever ancer it but rather only think that they have ancered it wich brings up another hoast of phlisofical questions. it seemes like if what i have just stated is true then being philisofical is only ignorant because by being philisofical one only discovers new questions and fools themselves into beliveing falce imagened ancers. am i doing it right now?

With corrections:

is one not perpetuating one's own problem by looking at them philosophically. Shouldn't we all just ignore philosophy because nobody can ever answer it but rather only think that they have answered it which brings up another host of philosophical questions. it seems like if what i have just stated is true then being philosophical is only ignorant because by being philosophical one only discovers new questions and fools themselves into believing false imagined answers. am i doing it right now?

The answer to your question is no.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being philosophical doesn't prevent one from resolving problems. Quite the opposite, in fact. Without being philosophical, it would be harder to grasp the roots of the behaviour(s) which caused the problem, let alone making the changes necessary to correct them.

-Mac
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayn Rand gave a speech at a West Point graduation ceremony that touches on this very question. Here's some excerpts:

Philosophy: Who Needs It?

Ayn Rand wrote:
Now some of you might say, as many people do: "Aw, I never think in such abstract terms--I want to deal with concrete, particular, real-life problems--what do I need philosophy for?" My answer is: In order to be able to deal with concrete, particular, real-life problems--i.e., in order to be able to live on earth.

You might claim-as most people do--that you have never been influenced by philosophy. I will ask you to check that claim. Have you ever thought or said the following? "Don't be so sure--nobody can be certain of anything." You got that notion from David Hume (and many, many others), even though you might never have heard of him. Or: "This may be good in theory, but it doesn't work in practice. You got that from Plato. Or: "That was a rotten thing to do, but it's only human, nobody is perfect in this world." You got that from Augustine. Or: "It may be true for you, but it's not true for me." You got it from William James. Or: "I couldn't help it! Nobody can help anything he does." You got it from Hegel. Or: "I can't prove it, but I feel that it's true." You got it from Kant. Or: "It's logical, but logic has nothing to do with reality." You got it from Kant. Or: "It's evil, because it's selfish." You got it from Kant. Have you heard the modern activists say: "Act first, think afterward"? They got it from John Dewey...

...You have no choice about the necessity to integrate your observations, your experiences, your knowledge into abstract ideas, i.e., into principles. Your only choice is whether these principles are true or false, whether they represent your conscious, rational conviction--or a grab-bag of notions snatched at random, whose sources, validity, context and consequences you do not know, notions which, more often than not, you would drop like a hot potato if you knew.

But the principles you accept (consciously or subconsciously) may clash with or contradict one another; they, too, have to be integrated. What integrates them? Philosophy. A philosophic system is an integrated view of existence. As a human being, you have no choice about the fact that you need a philosophy. Your only choice is whether you define you philosophy by a conscious, rational, disciplined process of thought and scrupulously logical deliberation--or let your subconscious accumulate a junk heap of unwarranted conclusions, false generalizations, undefined contradictions, undigested slogans, unidentified whishes, doubts and fears, thrown together by chance, but integrated by your subconscious into a kind of mongrel philosophy and fused into a single, solid weight: self-doubt, like a ball and chain in the place where your mind's wings should have grown.

I've yet to read any of her fiction, but this speech is brilliant. Read the whole thing.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to have a clear idea of what your view of the world is, and to understand where certain popular ideas originate from. On top of that, it's advantageous to have a clear idea of how the people around you view their world, even if you strongly disagree with some or all of them. You probably need to know at least a little bit about philosophy to reach this point.

However, I do think that philosophy should be approached as you would approach a tool, and not as anything more encompassing than that. It has been my experience that the people who deal the most in philosophy tend to be the most cynical, pessimistic, and skeptical of people - in short, a bit overwrought with displeasing thoughts.

Jump to: