Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Media...doh! Reply with quote

You should check out this beauty of a piece done by BBC about our recent Parliamentary problems. Apparently, the cause is our envy of America's who now have Obama as their president. Who knew?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/the.....you_i.html

Are Canadians falling into the Obama trap?

* Justin Webb
* 4 Dec 08, 08:56 PM GMT

Like most of you, I begin each day with an assessment of the situation in Canada and troubling it is to those who follow constitutional issues north of the border.

(For anyone who has not been concentrating, the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, battling to stay in power, has persuaded the country's acting head of state to suspend Parliament so he can avoid being ousted by opposition parties next week. There is talk of coups and separatist plots.)

Although the Canadian detail is fascinating almost to the point of ecstasy, the thing that caught my eye was the last line of this piece, which gives an indication of the trap that awaits all western democratic leaders and electors in the coming years.

It is the Obama trap - the approach that looks at the panting, sated Americans and says, "boy I'd like some of what they've had!"

Barack Obama is unique and uniquely American - those British MPs I was talking to the other day understood that, but electorates might not.

One of the effects of the Obama phenomenon might be a reduction in respect for the institutions (for instance parliaments and parliamentary government) and for the dullness that is perfectly respectable in political life in the free world.

Bonus - CTV news ticker: Obama pledges not to smoke in White House. (is this newsworthy?)
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I've seen the 'Where's our Obama' sentiment expressed frequently since before he was elected. Makes sense, when you realize that most people don't know how dirty, and how hotly contested, that campaign was.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any real parallels between our situation and the American election... and if Obama turns out to be like I suspect he'll be (the American Trudeau) we're much better off without him.

-Mac

Jump to: