Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReachingWest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Grits: Manley Calls for New Leader Before Christmas! Reply with quote

Manley Article Globe and Mail Dec 5 (PM)

Manley indicates the Libs can make better use of their time - build Party - select leader vs Coalition. The article includes the expected kicks at Harper to stop being "mean". All in all this will throw a wet towel on the NDP/Bloq Coalition and Rae.

Quote:
Now that the Governor-General has accepted Stephen Harper's request for a prorogation of Parliament until Jan. 26, there is time for everyone to take a breath and think through what just happened and what happens next. As a Liberal, I believe the first step for my party is to replace Stéphane Dion as leader with someone whose first job is to rebuild the Liberal Party, rather than leading a coalition with the NDP.

Quote:
The government must be prevented from running roughshod over the opposition at all times, but especially when the voters have denied them a majority. The best way to do that is for the Liberal executive and caucus to choose a new leader immediately, one who can take charge before Christmas and get the caucus ready for the resumption of Parliament.

Here is the Link
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I was just thinking that this coalition rigamarole has added a new dimension to the Rae / Ignatieff battle ... when choosing their new leader, the Liberals will be facing even more of a stark contrast than before. In Rae, a charismatic leader with a troubled past, who will continued their drift to the left, and whom favours a Coalition. In Ignatieff, an enigmatic intellectual from outside Canadian politics, who represents a return to the Liberal's centrist roots, and is distancing himself from the NDP-Liberal pact. Positives and negatives with each, I suppose.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you who touted Manley as being a blue Liberal, read this article very carefully. There's nothing there to suggest anything but a hyper-partisan with zero tolerance for any other party. The fact Manley cooperated with the PM once to take a second look at Af'stan (our role was initiated by Chretien) means nothing except he wanted to make sure his boss didn't come out looking like a fool.

Manley is deeply rooted in the Liberal Party and he's a Chretien Liberal... ie: a lying conniving venal crook. Since he's come out swinging against Dion and the coalition, you can bet Manley is backing Iggy whether he's declared as much or not.

-Mac
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I respect the work he did for the country in his report, I agree with the thrust of your post. The guy was Deputy PM under the Liberals, you don't get that post by being non-partisan.
Jean.01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
While I respect the work he did for the country in his report, I agree with the thrust of your post. The guy was Deputy PM under the Liberals, you don't get that post by being non-partisan.

Partisanship is O.K. if one has honour and honesty, it's when partisanship is pushed to the extreme that anything goes, lies are not important as long as they are believed and no attack is too low if it works !

Partisanship can also blind one to basic fairness and that can boomerang back at one at the worse time.

If one get the reputation of being honest even when it hurts one's cause, one will be believed.

With Manley I'm not sure on which side of the line he belongs but my impressions of him are still good until proven otherwise.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean.01 wrote:
FF_Canuck wrote:

Partisanship is O.K. if one has honour and honesty, it's when partisanship is pushed to the extreme that anything goes, lies are not important as long as they are believed and no attack is too low if it works !

Partisanship can also blind one to basic fairness and that can boomerang back at one at the worse time.

If one get the reputation of being honest even when it hurts one's cause, one will be believed.

With Manley I'm not sure on which side of the line he belongs but my impressions of him are still good until proven otherwise.

I saw him on CPAC the other day, he pretty well said Stephen Harper is the devil. What's that tell ya? "Oh this coalition is bullshit, Dion's retarded, and by the way... The Prime Minister must be taken down no matter what." -- I dunno... Looks like two steps farward and two right back again... Yay for Manley? I think not!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean.01 wrote:

Honest? When did Manley get that reputation? He's just another Liberal, a former Deputy PM under Chretien, arrogant and self-important. I've never forgotten how Manley quacked off while the Queen was visiting Canada, celebrating her 50th anniversary as the Monarch.

"It is not necessary, I think, for Canada to continue with the monarchy," Manley told reporters in Montreal, saying he nevertheless had a great deal of respect for the Queen. "I have always said that, first, I think Queen Elizabeth is doing a good job," Manley said. "Personally, I would prefer it if we could have a uniquely Canadian institution after Queen Elizabeth."

Talk about damning someone with faint praise...

-Mac
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for reminding me... I'd pretty much totally forgotten about that. It was pretty classless.

Jump to: