Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPK

votes: 13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Why the PMO's communication strategy SUCKS Reply with quote

Why is it when something controversial happens, we rarely see any representatives from the government defend their policies? Every time I tune into CPAC or CTV, there are always comments about the Conservatives being invited but not showing up. When you are at 32% in the polls you bloody well start showing up and answering questions even if you have to get nasty with the commentators (like Craig Oliver). It's time the government start an all out assault on the opposition regarding their policies on Afghanistan and Kyoto. Ask them how would THEY meet the Kyoto targets and then tear apart their policies by showing how unrealistic their plans are. Do you agree?
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, PM Harper has never really gotten a fair shake from the Press. Ever since he came to town in 2002, press pundits have been writing his political obit.

To address the point directly, most of these "public affairs" shows are watched by political junkies, insiders, and other decided voters. Therefore, the presence or absence of a party rep is not likely to materially affect overall polling trends.

There may also be a staffing issue. Most of the government's messaging is done by Parl Secs and MPs, and by outside lobbyists like Geoff Norquay or Tim Powers. There is probably a limit on how many shows they can visit, and still do their day jobs.

Communications is an extension of government management, which encompasses the Cabinet, the PMO, and the political party apparatus. To the extent a government can or cannot get its message out - and I am not entirely convinced that they cannot except perhaps in Quebec - it may very well be a symptom of an overall managerial malfunction.
KPK

votes: 13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Quebec I'm most concerned with. The Conservative MPs there seem weak. Although I'm impressed with Steve Blaney and Lawrence Cannon, the Quebec media are all over the government on the gun registry, the environment etc.. it's bloody annoying. Duceppe seems to have a free reign there.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the shows are taped and edited. The media won't show anything which portrays the Conservatives in a glowing light.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quebec is tough... I mean, lets face it these are people who somehow think they would be better off being their own country..

Bouchard made some excellent points about them needing to work harder. He's completely right too. Quebec is Union-run, and as such will always be a bastion of Leftist power.

They've always been pacifists - Afghanistan is causing the poll drop moreso than any other topic.

I'm not 100% on how to approach Quebec.. One thing I know - Calling them a nation doesn't help anyone.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They've always been pacifists - Afghanistan is causing the poll drop moreso than any other topic.

This pacifism, along with a long history of anti-semitism, also made an issue of Harper's strong stance on the Israeli-Hezb'allah War.

Jump to: