Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: The reward for a job well done... Reply with quote

... is a tougher job, as the saying goes. In this case, I didn't even start the first one - I've gone from sign coordinator for a town, to the same for a region, to an 'area coordinator' in about 2 days. The campaign manager didn't even have a chance to explain what it was I'd be doing ... :lol:

Anyways, anybody else volunteering for local campaigns? Any tips, wisdom, war storys to share?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have been active in the past but I think I'll sit this one out (besides my online activity). My riding is a safe CPC one. It is more enjoyable when it is a real contest.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is, arguably, one of the safest in Canada: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Rose_(electoral_district)]Wild Rose[/url]. The only hitch is that the Greens are very competitive in parts of the riding, and we are running a new candidate, Blake Richards, as our old MP (Myron Thompson) has retired.

Certainly, we're having a hard time getting volunteers because of the perception that we'll win without effort... but we still need to run a campaign!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MP is the bulldog himself...

-Mac
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as you. My region takes an hour to drive from one end to the other!

My advice for signs is to get all the good spots early. If you don't have your large signs yet, "reserve" the good spots with the small lawn signs or old signs from last time (in fact, I just got back 10 minutes ago from doing this).

Secondly, you're campaign has probably already ordered their signs but if you have any input or them suggest:

1) no 4x8 signs, too hard to install, too expensive, and not much more visibility than 4X4s (don't go 4x3 or smaller)

2) don't go with portraits on the signs, a waste of money because they only need to know the name to vote, pictures make the name smaller

A neat thing to do is if you know some farmers who have wrapped bales of hay, especially along highways or busy roads, is to have them spray paint the name of your candidate on the stacks of wrapped hay.

Lastly, in my experience when putting up 4x4 signs, it's better to use t-bars than wood frames. They're much easier to install but a little more expensive (however they can be re-used for decades and can even be "rented" to other campaigns).

If you use t-bars get a post-driver to make it much easier to install (and allows for one person installations).

T-bars have holes in them so drill or poke holes in the sign, then attach it to the bars using plastic zip ties.

In my experience, with this method one person can put up a 4x4 sign in under 10 minutes. With two people we timed ourselves and it took a little over 7 minutes to install!
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue, thanks for the tips. A little late for the 4x8s, I've got 8 of them that I'll be putting up tomorrow as my first priority, then as many 4x4s as I can manage before work. We have no portrait signs.

I will pass on the tips re: t-bars and especially the bales (lots of em in these parts...), to our head sign-dude for the riding.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly the good spots get taken - the odd quirk of my 'region' is that it contains the largest concentration of support for the Greens and Liberals, and thus most of their workers...
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new candidate in my riding, I will still be in the same riding in my new house, but in a rural part of it. Too busy building the new place to even think of volunteering, but I might let them put a sign up if they make the right noises on section 13.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local riding association must be eager. I've seen several Baird signs up already!

-Mac
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen any other campaigns' signs up yet around here, we definately beat them to the punch, at least with the big signs. I'm having to do this during my set of night shifts, so they might catch up before Wednesday, at which point I'll have five off and really go to town with signage.
Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
My MP is the bulldog himself...

-Mac

That's the riding I just left. Now I'm in a riding with a Liberal MP I actually like, Ken Dryden.

And my CPC candidate seems so ill prepared, her website is a joke that is completely broken in firefox
http://www.rochellewilner.ca/

Jump to: