Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: US population now 300,000,000 Reply with quote

SJ Mercury News
Quote:
When the nation's odometer clicked over to 300,000,000 people at 4:46 this morning, it was a milestone more figurative than literal.

Someone is born in this country every seven seconds; someone dies every 13 seconds; and one new immigrant arrives every 31 seconds. Put them together, and presto: the United States has added one new resident every 11.25 seconds since the U.S. Census Bureau made the last official count in 2000.

What will this mean for Canada and its population?

How will the changing demographic of the US affect its politics?

What are the other implications of this population milestone?
Buddy Kat

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't look at this population boom as good news for Canada. The US is already suffering from energy problems and fresh water problems. Canada is rich in both and while you may say "well that's good we will just sell it to them". Chances are agreements like nafta or new swindleing agreements will be put in place much to the disgust of Canadains.

Good example oil and gas...we have to pay the going rate even tho it's coming out our ground for a pittance. Water and energy next, expect plenty of intimidatuion if you do not comply with US demands.

If Canada was smart they would capture the fresh water that flows out of canada and goes into oceans hence arguably wasted and start bottling now.
CC Scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! Opportunistic capitalism!
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy Kat wrote:

If Canada was smart they would capture the fresh water that flows out of canada and goes into oceans hence arguably wasted and start bottling now.

You're the kind of guy who pokes the sleeping grizzly with a stick, aren't you?
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Scott wrote:
Woohoo! Opportunistic capitalism!

Nothing like kicking someone when they're down - in particular someone with over 3000 Nuclear weapons and a standing military capable of destroying ours in a blink of an eye.

That's the Canada our ancestors worked so hard to create...
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the population milestone - I think it is just that. Does it affect things greatly? no. Is the US any different today then yesterday? No. In fact, I've touted the US population as 300 million for the past couple years... As 290 something million is basically 300 million. What I find staggering is the rate of growth - I think the study is indicative of our needs to:

Control population
and
Explore and colonize the solar system(and beyond)

I think it also highlights the need for effective environmental controls - not hot-air generators like kyoto.

All in all though, I don't expect much of a change from this new figure.
serah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
I think the study is indicative of our needs to:

Control population

Perhaps I'm taking that out of context (and off topic?) but a question for you biggie: Looking at it from a demographics point of view, do you still feel that Western cultures need to be controlling their populations?

I agree that overpopulation in some parts of the world spells trouble (specifically sub-saharan africa, parts of the Middle East and India) But I've been reading a lot of Steyn recently (just got America Alone for my birthday yesterday!) and he makes some pretty valid points for spreading western values through having larger families. I don't think he's talking about 7 kids per couple *yikes* but along the lines of Australia's idea of "One for dad, one for mom, and one for country." This isn't as much of a concern in the States right now, but is of growing importance across the pond.

As for how an expanding America will affect Canada, I see it as an opportunity for access to a larger market. However, with Canada's fertility rate at 1.5, and the US' at 2.0 they're just going to get bigger in comparison. As long as our politicians don't ostracise ourselves from the States, I think we'll do just fine as their little brother.
biggie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant on the world stage ;)

I agree we need to breed more in order to spread western values.. but I think those values, that provide us with such a nice lifestyle, are the reason we don't ;)
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see India's population boom as too much of a problem - they seem to be doing a remarkable job of looking after even the poorest of their citizens.
biggie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer india to pakistan ;)
serah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck - you're right. Though India's population is huge, it's not growing at a ridiculous rate. And though India still has a long way to come with poverty, their gov't has made huge steps in the past decade (and more) to alleviate the worst of it.

Another demographic point: It's mostly only red states that have a high birth rate. Dem. states are closer to Canadian birth rates (overall) When they reapportion their House seats, this may start to have an effect.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mark Steyn puts it, this is great news for America

Jump to: