Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Election Blackout not sustainable Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't enforce election result blackouts, SCC told

Updated Mon. Oct. 16 2006 11:09 PM ET

Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- Pulling the plug on the country's power grid would be the only way to enforce federal election-night blackout laws made obsolete by the Internet age, the Supreme Court of Canada was told Monday.

Paul Bryan, a software developer from British Columbia, is fighting the law that bars publishing any election results before all polling stations across Canada's six time zones are closed.

Even Blogging Tories had to consider its own online presence during the election last year. Perhaps during our peak traffic hours of the entire year, we had to blackout our site to comply with the EC law that prohibits free speech.

Can Elections Canada realistically expect that the blackout law be respected given the development of new technologies especially on the Internet?
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really annoying - but if Elections Canada really doesn't want a "bias", they should hold off reporting results to the public/media until after all the polls across the country have closed..
Knave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with such a law at all? It probably annoys people more in the West than any other part of the country - most people don't see much point to a law. I mean, the result is inevitable; whomever is going to make up the government is usually decided in Canada (meaning, Ontario and Quebec) before the polls close out here, anyway.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone's approaching it from the wrong angle - why don't we just open and close the polls simultaneously nation-wide? It wouldn't be hard, and its the best solution.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I think everyone's approaching it from the wrong angle - why don't we just open and close the polls simultaneously nation-wide? It wouldn't be hard, and its the best solution.

That's what I was thinking. Have them open for like 14 hours or something, The only problem is just what time to open and close the polls so that everyone everywhere gets fair access without the polls having to be open 24 hours.

I think another option is to simply not count the ballots, or at least not release the ballot countings until the BC polls close.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have to be difficult. We found two easy solutions right here. Come on, Elections Canada... get with the times!!

-Mac
biggie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
FF_Canuck wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Have them open for like 14 hours or something, The only problem is just what time to open and close the polls so that everyone everywhere gets fair access without the polls having to be open 24 hours.

I think another option is to simply not count the ballots, or at least not release the ballot countings until the BC polls close.

Labour laws, at least in this province, allow for workers to take time off in order to vote.

Plus, there are advance pollings..
the silent platform

Reputation: 40.9Reputation: 40.9Reputation: 40.9Reputation: 40.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are really concerned about voting preferences being affected by 'results thus far', then the most logical thing (imo) would be to just not announce the polls as they come in. sure it would make for a boring election telecast but it makes more sense than making people in BC vote by 2 pm.

Jump to: