Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Alberta Congress 2008 Reply with quote

As I mentioned in another thread, I decided to attend the Alberta Congress 2008 (CPC Policy Convention) that was held in Red Deer this past weekend. Held simultaneously with the Quebec policy convention in Montreal, they are the first in a series of conferences that will be held in every province leading up the National Convention in November (held in Winnipeg).

Several Alberta MPs were present, often participating in the policy discussions, as well as the social events and the constitution discussion Sunday morning. For those interested, a few observations:

- our Alberta MPs are very, very dedicated to the concept and practice of grassroots organization. There were several times during the straw polls that individual MPs were on the losing side, and they were pleased about it. It was mentioned with pride several times in speeches and conversation that the CPC is the only party with a process like this that actually creates a policy manual that actually determines government policy and election platforms.

- our MPs are really getting the message on HRCs. I brought the issue up to several of them personally; They're all very well informed on the topic, which is all due to the grassroots and the blogosphere getting the ball rolling. Action will occur at the speed of government, but I'm confident that it will happen.

- speeches from Jim Prentice, Jason Kenney, Diane Ablonczy, and Stockwell Day. They're all excellent speakers and kept the crowd engaged with ease. Stock's speech was over 40 minutes, performed entirely without notes (or errors), and was riveting.

- Overall, my impression of our MPs, and the direction of the CPC is very, very positive. I met people from all walks of life and policy orientations - we're definately a Big Tent party, even in Alberta. The key players organizing the conference and keeping things running smoothly were all in their twenties, which bodes well for the future.

All in all, I'm very glad that I went. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be selected as a delegate for my EDA to the National Convention, though my chances are slim.
chris p

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when is the BC one? why arn't they advertising these?
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris p wrote:
when is the BC one? why arn't they advertising these?

I don't know when any of the other conventions will be held. They are closed to the media and are members only events, which is why they aren't advertised, but if you are currently a CPC member, your EDA *should* contact you with details. I'd recommend contacting your Conservative riding association (aka EDA) office.
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. I'm really heartened to hear that our MPs are getting the message on the Human Rights Commissions. Any news on whether this message is getting to Rob Nicholson? He seems to be the one MP who is hesitant to move the show on this issue. Maybe an Ontario member can report back after the Ontario Congress.

What was the attendance like? I assume it was a good turnout.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Great stuff. I'm really heartened to hear that our MPs are getting the message on the Human Rights Commissions. Any news on whether this message is getting to Rob Nicholson? He seems to be the one MP who is hesitant to move the show on this issue. Maybe an Ontario member can report back after the Ontario Congress.

What was the attendance like? I assume it was a good turnout.

My impression, and I could be wrong, is that the HRC issue has been picked up by the PMO, which is what caused the change in Nicholson's responses and the announcement of a review. I think the concensus is continued pressure on the PMO, and MPs, to convince them that waiting for years to resolve this is not the solution. The MPs I spoke with think this is a winning issue, with cross-partisan support.

Attendance was great. Easily in excess of 250 members, from every riding in the province, and probably 85% of the Alberta Caucus (MPs).
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now I really need to find out when our Saskatchewan meeting is. Hopefully it didn't already pass by without me noticing. :(

Jump to: