Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winchry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Ottawa vs. Alberta Reply with quote

Alberta is set to fight the federal government over this issue of climate change. While they have accepted climate change is happening and is caused by man they have set incredably low targets (no emission cuts until 2020, 20% cut by 2050). The federal government had set signifcantly stricter targets. (20% by 2020) The stronger federal targets will also force many polluters in Alberta to use carbon capture and sotrage technology.

Clearly this is setting up a standoff over who has authority over the environment. Clealy I think it is better for us to follow the federal guidelines. We need to regulate emmisions across the whole country not bit by bit.

Furthermore it is outrageous that Alberta can admit this is a problem, and then take comically small, ineffective steps to try and stop it. Clearly the Albertan government cares more about money now (like they don't have enough) instead of the future of this planet. I find it irresponsible and immoral that they admit there is a problem here but are so concerned with money they don't do anything to stop it.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would perhaps be better discussed in Climate change. Suffice to say you're making a lot unspoken assumptions.
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like how it was made into an Alberta vs. Ottawa issue. No mention of how the new Ontario budget doesn't address this issue either.

Nothing like piling it on ol' Evil Alberta.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... this thread should be in Climate Change. Brace your feet, folks...

-Mac
WBD

Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While they have accepted climate change is happening and is caused by man they have set incredably low targets .....

Neither the Government of Alberta, nor the majority of Albertans believe that AGW is a fact. I will go further and say the Feds don't really believe it either. They all have to bow down at the alter though and look like they're doing something.

It's quite striking that the first political party to sweep the issue under the rug recently is the Ontario Liberals in their new budget. I may be a conservative but I'll concede this one to the Ont. Libs. They seem to know the CO2 scam is crumling faster than their infastructure.

Alberta knows it too. Why do you think they have such long timelines. They're playing for the time needed for the issue to fade away. Then we can get back to serious issues like REAL POLLUTION!!!

You remember real pollution? NOX, SO2, Ozone, Particulates, etc.
Remember the Conservative's first environmental bill? "The Clean Air Act" that got trashed by the Opposition in favour of GHG crap?

I care very much about pollution but we've been sidetracked by junk science promoted by those who want a piece of the 5 Billion Dollars a year in research money to try and prove AGW. I call it AGW Inc.

Here's hoping that Sunspot Cycle 24 is a weak one (it's already late) and will finally show that the Sun is the driver of climate and we can't do anything about it. We should just clean up the real problems.

Bill in Calgary

Jump to: