Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorettaw wrote:
I'm not really understanding your point. Maybe you could clarify?

You claimed that you believe all humans are equal, and that thinking otherwise is dangerous.
I question whether that is true. I question whether you think someone dying in poverty is equal to one of your own family memebers. If it were your family members dying of starvation, would you not do more to help them??
lorettaw

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila,
I have not said you 'are this or that'. I defined , broadly, a couple of belief systems. I did not attach you to any of them. I asked you where you fit in. You instead described some of your activities, without answering my question. You are not obliged to, of course.

f/l

Although humans are perhaps inclined to be selfish (loving first those who love them) Christ calls us to more. Christians (by this I mean those who are trying to live a Christian life, not those who CALL themselves Christian) endeavor to love sacrificially. To do this without a belief in and yearning for CHrist, and His sacrificial love, must be nearly impossible. That's why I ask ...

Crazymamma,

I know people who don't believe who do 'good' things. I'm not in a position to judge their motivations, and I don't 'get' why they are able to do some good, when they reject the Source of All Good. My closest answer is that God is merciful, and reaches out to us all. This answer is not very popular with non-believers. It is easy to find , also, Christians who seem to fail at Christian living. Of course, its difficult to know what's in a person's heart and mind. or where they are in their Christian struggle. I've certainly had my own failures along the way. Christians at least have the hope for redemption. A CHristian is never a lost cause. (Christian- someone who is trying.)
Sheila

votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loretta, so you don't care what I do, but you want to know where I'm coming from? Well I always considered myself a Christian, I have done countless hours of bible study, to try and find out the truth. I married an atheist, and for the first 3 years of our marriage we argued creation versus evolution. Neither one of us would budge. About 3 years ago, I read the Davinci Code (before the movie ever came out) and thought how much of this is true? So in my search I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Robert Baigent and also his most recent book The Jesus Papers. He is an archeologist, so his intent was neither to prove or disprove anything. So I have come to the conclusion that religion is used to control people. That we will never know if there is a God, maybe when we die, we will, but at that point who will we be able to tell? I have also come to the conclusion that gnosis, self knowledge is important. The more we can understand about ourselves, the more we can open our minds up to other possibilities. The only thing I can say is my religion kept me very closed minded. Before the 10 commandments, there was Hamorabi's (spelling?) law, which was basically the 10 commandments, so it wasn't like there were no laws before Moses. I am still the same person I was before, it's not like I decided there was no God so I could do anything and it wouldn't matter. That is not the case. So in closing, I don't know what I believe. And if anyone says they have a handle on the truth, it is only a guessing game.
lorettaw

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you are still struggling with some things. Don't give up. I humbly suggest that you have sought resources that gave you the answer you felt could fit your situation best. That is a normal starting point.
An excellent book I have read , that puts some of those things in perspective, including the motivations of some archeologists and anthropologists, is Dr. Philip Davis' book "Goddess Unmasked" . He is Canadian, from UPEI, and has written a very academically sound, superbly referenced book .

The best place to get information about Christianity is from Jesus . Might I suggest the Bible and prayer? If God doesn't exist, Jesus lied. It seems more likely, all things considered, that He didn't. I know that God exists and is personally involved in my day-to day life. This is because I have sought a personal relationship with Him, which is a constant struggle and a comfort at the same time. His standards of love, His degree of caring are very demanding - its true. However, He is a much more reliable a lover than the people I love most on earth. I realize that none of this is all that helpful, so I apologize for the feebleness of my effort. I will include you in my prayers.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
Quote:
So in my search I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Robert Baigent and also his most recent book The Jesus Papers. He is an archeologist, so his intent was neither to prove or disprove anything

I read all these books to. I also read books that souht to disprove the claims made in these books. Did you know that Pierre Plantard made the whole Priory of Sion thing up. The Davinci Code. Holy Blood and the Holy Grail are based on a hoax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priory_of_sion
Quote:
Although it has been characterized as anything from the most influential cabal in Western history to a modern ludibrium patterned after the Rosicrucian Order of the 17th century, the Priory of Sion myth has been exposed as a hoax started in 1961 [1] by Pierre Plantard, a false pretender to the French throne. The evidence presented in support of its historical existence was discovered to have been forged and then planted in various locations around France by Plantard and his accomplices. Nevertheless, many conspiracy theorists insist on the "truth" of the Priory of Sion's role as a 1000-years-old secret society.

Plantard confessed the hoax in a French Court.

Quote:
Under oath, Plantard had to admit that he had fabricated everything, including Pelat's involvement with the Priory of Sion.[28][29] Quoting Laurent Octonovo: "Plantard was threatened with legal action by the Pelat family and the time had therefore come for him to do a disappearing act to his house in the south of France. He was then 74 years old and his life was effectively over nothing more was heard of him." [30] Plantard died in Paris on 3 February 2000.

Baigent must be quite an archaelogist to have fallen for this crap. Selling million of books seem like a pretty good reason to continue to question the validity of Christianity.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  

Jump to: