Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Ontario PC Candidates for Party Executive Reply with quote

There isn't much info out there so I figured I'd pass on the info here of those that are running to be part of the Ontario PC party executive this weekend.

I'll post the info as I find it.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an email I received:

Dear Fellow Conservative;

This weekend is the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario's AGM in London. I hope you will be attending.

I am asking for your help. Please forward this email and attachments to as many conservative people as you can.

I am nominated for the position of 3rd Vice President. This is the Policy Chair, a position mandated in the party constitution tasked with promoting "Grassroots Membership Policy Involvement".

As I'm sure you know, the 2007 Policy Platform was not a grassroots effort, it was created by a "Top Down" process.

My intention if elected is to return our party to the process which puts the membership back in charge of our policies.

That way, we will avoid another special interest platform and instead win in 2011 with a platform the members can enthusiastically support and work for.

Please read the attached pamphlet and visit my website philmiller.ca for more information about me.

Phil Miller

philmiller.ca

Last edited by Cool Blue on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.robertelliott.ca/

As the 6th Vice-President of our Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario, I commit to fight to:

Review and Renew our partyís policy process;

Review and Renew how our party keeps its members and riding associations informed on the actions of the executive and itís committee;

Review and Renew the areas in which our local associations lack the necessary tools to recruit new members and prepare for an election;

Review and Renew the image of our party and ensure that it is one that the membership is proud to unify behind and represent in their local ridings;

Review and Renew the number of ways a member can participate in our party and ensure that the local riding associations can count on the executive for assistance in putting on events and engaging their constituents;

Last edited by Cool Blue on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone committing to "put the progressive back in Progressive Conservative"? :wink:

-Mac
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone committing to "put the progressive back in Progressive Conservative"? Wink

Ya, John Tory.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one person I'll be voting for:

Unfortunately I can't find a website (and the pro-Tory people seem to be blocking certain candidates from having their profiles put up on the party website).

Sally Harris : *th Vice-President

Dear PC friends:

I am humbled that so many party members have encouraged me to run for the party executive.

Having served on the OPCAW and OPCCA executives and volunteered for years, I know how much work the job entails. I can't wait to get started.

My philosophy is simple: respect one another, play as a team and have fun! Difference is healthy and constructive, so long as we remember that our opponents are on the other parties. Inside the PC family we are all equals and friends.

As a grassroots volunteer, I will work hard to preserve our bottom-up democracy. I want to be your voice to the central party, not the central party's voice in your ridings.

y pledge to you is respect, team play and hard work.

I hope to earn your support.

Sally
Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost sounds too good to be true... but then she is looking for votes...

-Mac
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

There is a bit of a grassroots revolution going on in the Ontario PCs right now. A lot of these executive positions are turning into competitions between the backroom party candidate VS the grassroots candidate.

I don't think commentators have picked up the importance of this PC convention because they're only focusing on if Tory will keep his job, which is only one aspect of this grassroots VS backroom showdown.

There is a real possibility that if the backrooms win this weekend that the Ontario PCs may split.
Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
There is a real possibility that if the backrooms win this weekend that the Ontario PCs may split.

Yikes! Divided right on the provincial level?

-Mac
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, there is a new party in Ontario which is calling itself the Reform Party of Ontario. They're really just a fringe party right now but they're gonna be at the convention trying to recruit.

Furthermore, the Landowners associations are becoming active within the party and they're going to be represented in respectable number.

If there isn't some grassroots reform that happens, it is quite possible that those Landowner PC delegates might join the Reform.

The Landowners have a lot of influence in rural ridings. If they back this Reform party it is possible that they could steal the rural PC seats (which make up the vast majority of PC seats) and destroy the PCs.

A conservative alternative would either steal the seat from the PCs or split the vote enough that the PCs would lose a seat.

It is even possible that a couple of MPPs could leave the PCs to sit as members of this new party.

We could have a repeat of the 93 federal election where an upstart party becomes the official opposition and the party it replaces is devastated to the point where it loses official party status and never recovers.

If this happens people like me will be forced to choose:

1) a new party that has no chance of winning anytime soon

or

2) the old party that won't reform and will never win because the grassroots won't support it
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that if Tory decides to stay on as leader with a low show of support I can almost guarantee that the party will split.

As it stands Tory's team is saying that they only need 50%+1 for him to stay on. If he does there is going to be war.

IMO, if he gets less than 70% and stays on there's gonna be trouble.

If he resigns, and then runs for his job that might smooth things over but he tries to stay in power watch out.

My guess is that he gets around 60%.
Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Tory so desperate for power? His election results should have been a clue to him... and evidently he needs a clue.... that his leadership isn't doing great things for the party. I can't believe he didn't resign immediately after the election. That would have been the honourable thing to do.

-Mac
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When voters are given a choice between the Liberals or Liberal Lite, they'll take the real thing.

The PCs are too progressive in Ontario. Also Tory needs to get out before he destroys the party, the PCs need a grassroots -> up structure, not a top -> down structure.
Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley W wrote:
When voters are given a choice between the Liberals or Liberal Lite, they'll take the real thing.

Joe Clark proved that several times.

-Mac
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a card carrying Progressive Conservative in Ontario since Mike Harris' first term as leader of Ontario, and was a firm supporter before that.

Regardless of who was leader of the party I towed the line and supported them be it through contributions or campaigning.

The way that John Tory rolled over and died last year left a bitter taste in mouth in regards to the Ontario PC party.

I won't do anything extreme such as support the Liberals or NDP in Ontario, but if Tory moves forward as leader (and after this weekend that seems to be the case) I will for the first time in my adult life make my voice heard by staying home on election day.

Its clear the PC party does not want or need the assistance of the "C" portion of the party, and as such they won't be getting any from me.

Jump to: