Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: The Living Policy Reply with quote

One thing that I like about the Green Party is the willingness to listen to the people and giving people the opportunity to give suggestions on policy formation.

They have something called the "Living Policy" on their website that supplies a venue to voice your opinion on specific policy niches.

I am putting this out there because I am hoping that the Conservative party would do something similar for us conservative-minded voters.

I think that here on these boards, there are about five or six different specific policies we'd like to see (tax reform: income splitting or flat tax etc....) and others.

However, I'm pretty sure that there would be a flood of opinion beyond the regular "hopes" we've seen floating on these boards IF we were able to voice them to Conserative policy-makers.

Who do I contact to REQUEST that we conservatives have a "LIVING POLICY" of our own??

To me, a "living policy" would be a very conservative initiative as opposed to a Liberal approach of "government knows best"....

Thanks
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a nomination contest in my riding, because Skelton is not running in the next election. If I pick the winner early, help on the campaign, lend her my book on flat tax, I figure I can influence policy that way.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Living Policy Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
One thing that I like about the Green Party is the willingness to listen to the people and giving people the opportunity to give suggestions on policy formation.

That kind of "grass roots" approach is what the Reform/Alliance brought to this new coalition. The old PC crowd were almost Liberal as far as that "government knows best" attitude... and a few other aspects as well...

There is a downside to having that kind of connection to your grass roots. If a MP has to make a hard choice between what's best for the country and what's best for his constituency, it makes for bitter riding association meetings.

-Mac
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that. It would be a tough choice.

However. With a "living policy", not connected to specific constituencies (unless you WANT to attach your electoral district...), the "grass roots" opinions could be put out there without those conflicts.

I'd just like a forum (like this one...) where I KNOW that policy makers are listening.

Are they?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
Are they?

Good question. I wish I had a good answer.

-Mac
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am putting this out there because I am hoping that the Conservative party would do something similar for us conservative-minded voters.

I think that here on these boards, there are about five or six different specific policies we'd like to see (tax reform: income splitting or flat tax etc....) and others.

The CPC has local policy meetings in your riding where policies are debated and voted on. Those are then passed on to the National Council which compiles them for voting at the national convention.

Also, if you read the CPC policy booklet, I'm sure you'll see some of those specific policies you've mentioned.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CoolBlue

Actually, AXEL KHUN (Etobicoke-Centre candidate) is having some scheduled meetings in the coming days/months with specific "topics" outlined. I suppose I should go.

However, it would be nice to make it a bit easier to speak up. Sometimes it's difficult to make it to these evening things....

Jump to: