Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: ALERT: Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR), Winnipeg, MB Reply with quote

Received by email:

REAL Women of Canada

"Women’s Rights Not at the Expense of Human Rights"

NGO in SPECIAL consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations

February 18, 2008

ALERT !

Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR), Winnipeg, Manitoba

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced in April 2007 that the federal government will contribute 100 million dollars toward the building of the Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg.

He also stated that the federal government would contribute $22 million annually to cover its operating costs.

The Advisory Committee for the Museum, selected by the former Liberal government, consisted mainly of feminist, homosexual and regular Liberal stand-bys, such as a former Liberal Prime Minister John Turner, former Liberal MPs, Cabinet Ministers and some Senators. The museum was intended to be a monument to former Liberal Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and his Charter of Rights.

This has raised concerns that the museum, with its left-wing Advisory Board, would be used as a powerful tool to champion the Liberal government’s interpretation of human rights, such as abortion rights, feminism, homosexuality, etc. with only some legitimate exhibits sprinkled here and there to give the museum the appearance of legitimacy.

Fortunately the Conservative government changed the Advisory Committee in October to include individuals, mostly business men and women, with no known bias on human rights issues.

This new Advisory Committee now wishes to take the views of the public into account in reaching its decisions on the scope and content of the Museum. As a result, a public consultation on the Museum is being carried out between February 5th and March 15, 2008. To further this project, the Advisory Committee has prepared a public consultation document that can be found at: http://www.pch.gc.ca/index_e.cfm. In the left bar, under the heading, Department, please click Public Consultations. The document includes a number of questions which are intended to stimulate ideas for the Museum for Human Rights. The Committee also invites views not covered by the questions.

It is important that as many of us as possible, with a conservative perspective, provide input into this Museum as it will remain a part of the Canadian culture for many years to come. We want it to reflect basic human rights, not the trendy rights contributed by recent court decisions.

Here's the pertinent website:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pc-ch/con.....ndex_e.cfm
dotconservative

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Harper do these things? What happened to conservatism? $100 Million up front + $22 Million/year for a (super-liberal) Human Rights Museum... Are you kidding me?

I'm young, so maybe I'm missing something. Why couldn't that money go to the military or Income Tax cuts?
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be spent...you might as well have a say!
dotconservative

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought conservatism was about less spending, not about having a say in what the government choses to spend our money on.
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservativism is not ONLY about less spending.

You can try to mitigate the damage, or you can be quiet.
dotconservative

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case I would say it's about less spending, not funding a leftist project.

Sure, mitigate the damage but we're really settling for less here. Who's going to speak out and say this is not acceptable if not us conservatives?
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, if they thought it through, they should have a Sheman tank, an M1 Garand, a Lee Enfield carbine, a Browning water cooled machine gun; all of the weapons that helped the West defeat evil in the last century or so.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really, if they thought it through, they should have a Sheman tank, an M1 Garand, a Lee Enfield carbine, a Browning water cooled machine gun; all of the weapons that helped the West defeat evil in the last century or so.

I always say one of the most powerful symbols of freedom is an old rifle on the mantle. Most people don't quite get what I mean.
graveconcerns

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Grave Concerns - Canada's National Human Rights Museum being Reply with quote

A museum should tell all of the truth. Not just part of it. Otherwise it's promoting propaganda. Some of the information that the Canadian Museum for Human rights likes to keep from the public is as follows:
1) The Aboriginal Graveyard at The Forks in Winnipeg is a historical fact. It has been described by historical figures as "unusually large" due to the extinction of 1/2 of the local Aboriginal population in the small pox epidemics of 1781-1782. At that time over 1,000 Aboriginal men, women and children were buried there. 2) There exists a photo of Aboriginal burials at The Aboriginal Burial Grounds at The Forks that is dated 1874. 3) The Forks Renewal Corp. has at least 3 government reports prepared for them by experts that claim that there is an Aboriginal Burial Ground at The Forks. 4) Over 11 aboriginal burials were accidently uncover at The Forks during construction before 1923. 5) Almost all of the archaeological digs done at the Forks have been in the southern part of the Forks. This is the area that is least likely to have burials as this area was the part used for encampment. The northern (area which includes the museum) and western areas were the places described historically as The Aboriginal Burial Ground. 6) The museum only did 2-4% archaeology on the land they are building on. This is far too little to make the claim that the land they are on is outside the burial ground. 7) The idea that Aboriginal people would not have buried their dead near flood plains or near the rivers have been disproved. There are at least 2 incidences of Aboriginal burials being found within the city limits that were on the banks of The Red River. One case happened to be very near were the museum is being built (by General Sam Steele of The RCMP and Charles Bell). An Aboriginal Burial Ground at Old Fort Edmonton was found to on their "Flats" or low lying ground. 8) The Forks Renewal Corp. and The Museum have a long history of refusing to acknowledge the existence of the graveyard. It makes me think that they think the land is too valuable for Indians to be buried there. 9) Don't you have "Grave Concerns" about what your government is trying to do? If you have read this, you are lucky. They have erased this information from the Wikapedia site over 20 times. They do not want you to know the whole truth.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post that stubbornly refuses to be deleted...

Last edited by crazymamma on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Quote:

I always say one of the most powerful symbols of freedom is an old rifle on the mantle. Most people don't quite get what I mean.

Hmmmm my hubby thinks this a powerful message to the young men that come into our home to date our daughters, he is of the opinion that they DO get it. :wink:

(sorry for the off topic silliness, I could not resist. My apologies to the rest of the forum in advance.)

Jump to: