Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Tell the Finance Minister to De-Fund the CHRC! Reply with quote

I would like all people who support getting rid of government agencies like the CHRC, the Status of Women Agency--and others-- to participate in the government’s online pre-budget consultation:

http://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/c.....d08_e.html

This year’s pre-budget consultation uses a different process—and is frankly a bit more annoying.

One the first page, you have to put in order what the government’s priorities should be. I feel a bit miffed that we’re forced to make these choices to get to the second page (where we can make suggestions). Here is my list, if you need some inspiration:

4.The Government should take steps in Budget 2008 (and beyond) to ensure that Canada is prepared to deal with the implications of an aging population.

5. The Government should implement broad-based policies in Budget 2008 (and beyond) that will help all sectors of the economy to succeed.

6. The Government should focus on developing policies in Budget 2008 (and beyond) to assist specific industries facing special challenges.

1. The Government should focus its resources in Budget 2008 (and beyond) by redirecting them from other areas.

3. The Government should ensure in Budget 2008 (and beyond) that the Canadian economy remains internationally competitive, continues to attract investment and creates high value-added jobs.

7. The Government should take steps in Budget 2008 (and beyond) to ensure that Canada keeps its best and brightest, attracts highly skilled immigrants, encourages as many people as possible to enter the workforce and rewards Canadians for their hard work, while respecting the Government’s fiscal goals.

2. Other: If you believe the Budget should have a priority different from any of the above, assign a priority to this box. You will be able to explain this priority on the next page.

When you press “continue” you get to the “good part”—so to speak. You get to type 50 words to each point. For my #1 priority—I wrote that I think that the government should defund the Canadian Human Rights Commission, the Status of Women Agency and the CBC. I wrote for #2 that I want to eliminate unnecessary state interventionism.

The page says that there were 8000 responses last year. If 1000 people write to say that the Canadian Human Rights Commission should be abolished, they cannot ignore that point.

I feel giving input on a pre-budget consultation is even more effective than writing an MP. MP’s can’t necessarily do anything about the CHRC, but the Finance Minister sure can.

Remember to email the Finance Minister with the subject line “Pre-Budget Consultation” and tell him what you think, and make sure he gets the message.

Flaherty.J@parl.gc.ca

Please spread this message!
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, I've submitted my response.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What actually needs to happen is a supreme court challenge to their authority. Cutting their funding does not really do anything if all the rulings they made continue on as legal precedent. What needs to happen is every ruling they ever made to be struck down, all legal fees repaid to the defendants by the complainants, a complete reversal of everything they have ever done. Plus their funding cut and the HRCs themselves disbanded and declared unconstitutional.
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting the funding wouldn't hurt. It would surely slow them down, and send a message to them to stop investigating bogus complaints.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their government funding is cut though, maybe they just start hearing more complaints, and collecting fines to keep themselves going. Maybe lefties turn them into charitable institutions. It has to be illegal for them to operate.
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty hard to keep going if you have to cut staff.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintNobody wrote:
Pretty hard to keep going if you have to cut staff.
I think that there are enough misguided people in this country, people like Kinsella, and Richard Warman, that they could keep operating by using volunteers. There are enough people and organizations that need the HRCs to further their various agendas that they will always have enough money to operate.
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are enough misguided people in this country, people like Kinsella, and Richard Warman, that they could keep operating by using volunteers.

The Public Service unions wouldn't allow that. Do you realize what kind of precedent that would set?

Quote:
There are enough people and organizations that need the HRCs to further their various agendas that they will always have enough money to operate.

The proof is in the pudding. How come they don't give more money to SOW?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOW didn't get its funding cut. They talked about it, a stink was raised, and funding was not changed.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that the government should not bail out industries that need it because they will take our money, but they will not create more jobs for Canadians. I also told them to cut back on spending in order to keep us competitive in the global market.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled it out.
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
SOW didn't get its funding cut. They talked about it, a stink was raised, and funding was not changed.

12 out of 16 offices were closed. That's pretty significant.

Jump to: