Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: speak or remain silent? Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought provoking comments, guys. It helps to have another perspective or two.

I may or may not have mentioned both my kids have learning disabilities. They're both high IQ kids (their mother's genetic gift, I'm sure :wink:) but their gifts come with a price. That is part of the reason I'm so conscious of their progress in school. That and the fact I don't trust the school system to provide a decent education.

I've stepped in a couple of times but I always ask him whether he wants my help or would prefer to deal with matter himself. In most cases, he prefers to make his own way until he is completely balked. For instance, his SS teacher last year (the essay previously mentioned) actively invited discussions in class.

During the parent/teacher meeting, I sat quietly while she went on about what a great kid he was, how much he brought to the table, how he was the spark plug for their discussions, etc etc. When she finished, I thanked her and asked why, in light of what she'd described, my son was only getting marks in the high 60s. Talk about an awkward silence!

She stammered for a moment and then said my son needed to be more organized. I asked what strategies she suggested for him to reach the level she wanted. Awkward silence... She suggested she could pair him with one of the students who was very organized.

I asked what I, as a parent, could do to help my son achieve his potential in this class since he was achieving an "A" in all of his other classes. Awkward silence. She said she was certain an improvement in his handwriting and organization would improve his marks.

I asked if his teacher was familiar with the contents of my son's individual education plan. Awkward silence. I didn't bother waiting this time. I asked if she was aware my son was permitted to use a laptop (which I had supplied) as opposed to handwriting as his disability involves fine motor function and input/output difficulties. She wasn't.

His marks did improve but he didn't match his success in other classes. While I got some personal satisfaction from putting his teacher on the spot, the only positive advantage I saw was my son got to use his laptop in class, even during quizzes and exams.

I think I'll just have a nice, low-key visit with the councilor. Knowing how things work, I expect he'll relay the message that the parents are watching closely. Hopefully, that will nip any problems in the bud.

-Mac
Reform

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the trademarks of the Canadian education system. As a soon to be graduate of the Alberta education system, I've noticed that some of my humanities (social studies, and English Language arts and French Language Arts) are revisionists and claim to be open to both sides, but really they want their opinion to dominate the other.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: