Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: CTV.ca News Staff liberal bias shines bright... Reply with quote

Quote:
NDP-Tory plan won't get through Senate: experts

They found an "expert" who is more than happy to call the NDP-Conservative plan "little more than political posturing".

So is Errol Mendes an expert or Liberal puppet? You be the judge...

Quote:
"So, again they want to use the Senate as a stick to beat the Liberals with in the election."

Hmmm. Unbiased assessment - I think not. I guess they couldn't find an unbiased expert (or didn't want to.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti.....b=Politics

This isn't the first time Mendes has been used to attack the Conservatives...

Quote:
Several constitutional experts have told Canadian Press the Conservatives must respect the law. In interviews last week, university law professors Ned Franks, Patrick Monahan and Stewart Elgie all agreed that the government has no choice but to follow the law.

Adding his voice to the list yesterday was Errol Mendes of the University of Ottawa.

"If the bill passes... it will be a binding legal obligation on the part of the government," Mendes told CTV. "There could be very serious legal consequences."

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/182024

It seems the media have his number on speed dial.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I hear Liberals bleating that the Senate is immutable, the more I want Senate change. Notice I said change rather than abolition.

-Mac
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Harpers backup plan is to be PM for 20 years and wait the Senators out. 12 vacancies now. They should all be dead by then!
mltoryblue

Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
I think Harpers backup plan is to be PM for 20 years and wait the Senators out. 12 vacancies now. They should all be dead by then!

That could very well be true!

If you look at the ages of these senators, they could start dropping like flies!
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that would equate to a constitutional crisis, as the GG has a role to fill Senate seats, and she may have to supersede Harper and fill those seats without any recommendations from him.
mrsocko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper should appoint CPC senators until the numbers are level with the Libs. Then he should bring in elected senators. Holding an election in a province that is Lib domenated(Maritimes) will just prolong the gridlokk on Parliament hill.
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Harper should appoint CPC senators until the numbers are level with the Libs. Then he should bring in elected senators. Holding an election in a province that is Lib domenated(Maritimes) will just prolong the gridlokk on Parliament hill.

Harper should just go outright to the people of Canada and say:

To Reform the Senate, we have to play their own game. I as Prime Minister will be appointing independents who have the sole priority of reforming the Senate to Tripple E, and who will resign after thats done.

Basically Harper should appoint until he has enough Senators in their to reform it.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Harper should only appoint senators that the people have "elected". If the people of a province vote in a Liberal or NDP or even a Marxist senator, then he should respect the will of the people. I think to do anything else undermines the push for an elected senate.

I'm against abolishing the Senate, because I feel we do need the "sober second thought", not to mention the committee work they do. I'm all for having senators that are elected, accountable, and actually have work to do.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
I'm against abolishing the Senate, because I feel we do need the "sober second thought"

We have a sober second thought - the supreme court. We also have sober second thoughts every four years (or less). The Senate costs Canadians $400 million per year. That is money that could be spent better elsewhere.
mrsocko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm against abolishing the Senate, because I feel we do need the "sober second thought", not to mention the committee work they do.

They do great committee work I'll grant you. There is not the same partisan crap going on in committe in the Senate.

Obstuction of important legislation is unacceptable. They are thwarting the democratic will of the people. The only reason they can have is that they want to protect their place at the trough.

Jump to: