Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theatheistjew

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
Marriage I believe is a social institution with religous contexts, which means one man and one woman.

Not if you are a Mormon or a Muslim.

I did some research on the history of marriage. It goes back to the Egyptians, but it wasn't religious.
http://womenshistory.about.com.....riage.html

In fact, the church was not involved in marriage until around the ninth century:

It is very hard to be able to establish a true date on the first marriages although the Old Testament in the Bible does mention a little about marriage as it was considered a family and household affair. The oldest male relative was the caretaker of the girls and the prospective husband would ask the father for the girl after first bringing him gifts to win his approval. The mother was dominated by the father and had no choice in the matter. The father would transfer the daughter to the prospective husband in public as this showed that he approved this transfer and that the groom had the father's approval. After this transfer the bride and groom ate a meal together with the families and then the groom took the bride home. In the Old Testament of the Bible there is no mention of a formal exchange of vows or of a preacher or priest being present at this union.

In the time of the Roman Empire (17 B.C.- A.D. 476) the lower classes who became Christians later had common law or free marriages. The father would deliver the bride and the agreement of the two was called a consensus to wed. Then eventually as Christianity spread the church interpreted a "free" marriage as a conscience marriage. This agreement meant that each partner was to keep the marriage vows and the marriage intact.

There were Romans who were very wealthy who would sign documents consisting of listing property rights and letting all know that they wanted this union to be legalized and not to be thought of as a common law marriage. Thus this began the official recording of marriages as we do today. Roman men could dissolve the marriage any time as it was a male privilege, not one accorded to females.

In A.D. 527-565 during the rein of Justinian lawyers drew up laws called the Justinian Code and this was a regulation of their daily life including marriage. Up until the time of the Justinian Code just saying you were married was enough.

Until the ninth century marriages were not church involved. Up until the twelfth century there were blessings and prayers during the ceremony and the couple would offer their own prayers. Then priests asked that an agreement be made in their presence. Then religion was added to the ceremony.

English weddings in the thirteenth century among the upper class became religious events but the church only blessed the marriage and did not want a legal commitment. In 1563 the Council of Trent required that Catholic marriages be celebrated at a Catholic church by a priest and before two witnesses. By the eighteenth century the wedding was a religious event in all countries of Europe.

In Colonial times in North America the customs of the old countries were followed. There were some who only wanted a civil ceremony and not a religious ceremony. The Colonists who wanted civil marriages passed laws to this effect.

Civil magistrates would perform marriage ceremonies and they would even include prayers in the ceremony.

Viriginia was a colony that stayed with the customs of the church and did not permit anyone to have a civil marriage ceremony as they followed the Church of England. By the end of the eighteenth century both religious and civil marriage ceremonies were legal in American.

In European countries today, civil marriage ceremonies are legal as in America. Even in England, the couple can choose to have either a religious or civil ceremony.
http://ks.essortment.com/historyofmarri_rimr.htm
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick history. I'd known the rough shape of it, which was the basis for my definition.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, BEAJ!! You spoiled the whole "union blessed by God" idea! :lol:

I wasn't aware of the history of marriage but I've always understood that marriage was a civil institution since licences are issued by the government, not the church.

-Mac
crazymamma2

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Lady wrote:
crazymamma wrote:
What woman in the free world wouldn't be thrilled to be woken up from a good sleep to be the repository of her man's much needed release? It's what we live for. :roll:

Ok, can't let this pass.....

Quote:
be the repository of her man's much needed release

Geez...you make it sound soo cold....

Not every woman has this opinion. I for one, love it ....
I will choose intimacy with my husband, over sleeping any day of the week; any hour of the day. :D

Look if you read my post you would have understood that I was employing sarcasm while replying to the Athiestjews complaints that HIS wife doesn't appreciate waking up to give HIM "HIS MUCH NEEDED RELEASE". Had he said that he wished to have an intimate mutual moment with his lucky lady my answer would have been much different wouldn't it? Think attitude might have something to do with receptivity of advances?

As for my house, that has more kids then you can count on the toes of one foot and slightly less then on two feet, you take any moment of privacy that may come our way. I happen to still be crazy about my spouse, even after those many kids and some 23 years and have NEVER felt that I was their just to SERVICE him. Something about mutual respect and the like.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma2 wrote:
even after those many kids and some 23 years and have NEVER felt that I was their just to SERVICE him. Something about mutual respect and the like.

I don't think it is wrong to just "service" your spouse sometimes. It doesn't mean there isn't mutual respect. Sometimes I don't feel like it but I still do because I know my wife wants to.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes I don't feel like it but I still do because I know my wife wants to.

That must be rough. :P
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
That must be rough. :P

I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want to say anything. You, however, can get away with it!! :lol:

-Mac

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: