Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Scary IGGY? Not so much. [updated] Reply with quote

Updated October 2/06: After all the media exposure+canonization, the countless multipage profiles, the high-powered endorsements, and the A-team of Liberal organizers, Team Ignatieff barely manages to touch 30%.

This is their frontrunner? At least when Stephen Harper was similarly heralded, his campaign team ensured a first ballot victory.

Conservatives have nothing to fear from Ignatieff. A person who cannot even convince his own base of his invincibility is not likely to be a major electoral threat for Mr. Harper.

Conservative Campaign Chief Doug Finley has declared his fear of facing Michael Ignatieff in the next election.

In a Sept 28/06 Star article entitled 'Memo shows Tories fear Ignatieff most' Linda Diebel wrote:
[Excerpted, note added] Toronto MP Michael Ignatieff is the Liberal leadership candidate the Conservatives would fear fighting the most in the next federal election.
The conclusions are contained in a confidential memo obtained by the Toronto Star, and written by Conservative national campaign chief Doug Finley.
It came after extensive polling and focus groups conducted by the party during July and August, including surveys of both the general public and so-called election "switchers," who could change their vote to the Tories.
Finley, a key Tory war-room strategist in the last federal election, says Ignatieff (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) "worries me most." However, a hand-written margin note by an unknown person adds: "Puts his foot in his mouth too much. Will be problematic (for Ignatieff)."
Rae has "real problems" with potential Liberal-to-Conservative switchers, 35 and over. People think he's a "nice guy" but always come back to his record as Ontario premier.
Adds Finley: "If the Liberals are willing to invest a few elections in Gerard Kennedy, he could grow into the job."
Outside of Quebec, Dion was "the toughest sell," criticized for his English. He is rated "the most boring" of the leadership candidates. Comparing him to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Finley writes: "This guy makes Harper look exciting."
Ignatieff was "the most interesting candidate to probe/test." The memo says he "takes quite a bit of heat for his foreign policy positions" among left-leaning Liberal-Conservative switchers. He'd probably lose votes over foreign policy from Liberal/NDP switchers, says Finley.

"But he is an impressive performer and the more people watched Ignatieff, the more they liked him," says the memo, adding one woman in London said "he looks, sounds and acts like a prime minister." [If anyone doubts the veracity of this statement, I recommend you watch Iggy's interview on Politics, Sept 27/06. Memo to PMO Comms: if you need a para or two to describe why we are in Afghanistan, use Iggy's response to Newman's question verbatim.--cbasu]
Finley declined to comment last night. A spokesperson told the Star "he is absolutely clear he has had no change of heart on the contents (of the memo) or on strategy. It's as true today as when he wrote it."

Being a natural cynic when it comes to politics, I was convinced that this was an internal attempt to sabotage Finley, until I read the last para.

Now, I am confused. Why show the lost Liberals the way to the summit?

This political strategy business really gets me. Calculus was so much simpler.

Last edited by cbasu on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Ardvark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's as true today as when he wrote it."

That is of course if it were true to begin with :twisted:

Al
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting sick and tired of this "leaking" thing. It is obvious the CPC wanted in published; also obvious that they did not want to do it above board. They are just trying to muddy the waters.

PS.
Quote:
There's a really good book about Canadian politics coming out this Halloween, and one of the points it will make is that when Doug Finley writes something down, his goal is to have it leaked.

http://weblogs.macleans.ca/pau.....asp#002662
McGuire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's psychological warfare. IMO Iggy is the one I want to win the most, as this will precipitate the Liberal-left to flee into the arms of Jack!, thus causing a split of the left-wing vote in this country & giving us our majority.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuire wrote:
It's psychological warfare. IMO Iggy is the one I want to win the most, as this will precipitate the Liberal-left to flee into the arms of Jack!, thus causing a split of the left-wing vote in this country & giving us our majority.

I agree with you on this one, completely...

plus if anyone who isn't conservative is going to be running the country, I'd rather it be a man who is damn close to being con. (and is going to keep our troops in afghanistan)

moreover - the french don't seem to like him... thats a good thing ;)
McGuire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-Afghanistan, anti-France. Man I like this guy more & more :D
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the CPG figures that if Iggy wins, Afghanistan is no longer an issue (i.e. for the Liberals to use against the Cons -- it'll be an issue for the NDP, as McGuire notes below). If he does not, then the others will have some baggage of their own.

The memo leak may have completely eliminated Rae's chances of winning, however.

Darn.

Last edited by cbasu on Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be THE isue for Jack! should Iggy win. He will use his anti-war, pro-taliban stance to lure away the Liberal left-wing, & will succeed.
biggie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - I think he would cause the libs to lose a lot of their support from the left. the Centrists would see a conservative-leaning leader running the libs, and they will see harper and the policies he's instituted(most centrists are reasonably satisfied with his performance). I think we would see most of them vote for the devil they know..

I think the worst case scenario in Iggy winning is that the ndp take more of the lib votes - in some cases meaning the NDP take the seat, in others meaning conservatives over-take due to the split.

I think Rae would attract too many lefty's and they would overpower conservatives in some areas..
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conservative Campaign Chief Doug Finley has declared his fear of facing Michael Ignatieff in the next election.

You'll note that the memo never uses the word "fear".

Its the Toronto Star that used the word "fear" that the rest of the MSM followed in an attempt to portray the CPC in a negative light.

The CPC isn't living in "fear" of Iggy.

We want Iggy to win because hiis leadership will tear the Liberal party apart from the inside, leaving the two-party state, CPC VS NDP, right VS left, that Harper has wanted all along.

Jump to: