Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: California fires Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the wildfires raging out of control in California? Personally, I think that part of the cause is human interference in the natural fire cycle. If we didn't put fires out, many smaller fires would burn every year. What human activity has done is allowed dead material to build to such a point that a drought year makes the fires uncontrollable. Another contributing factor is people living in more vulnerable areas; these kinds of natural events have much greater impact on human populations.

I haven't heard anyone make a link to climate change yet, but I am sure it is coming.

Does anyone know of any research on the natural fire cycle? Any studies or pilot projects about letting more fires go to get closer to the natural fire cycle? Is this even an area of active research? Are there any other areas where conditions are lining up to allow this to happen?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel bad for those who are affected by this disaster.

I do hope that Al Gore and his cult of global warmongers stay away from this and don't turn it into another global warmongering diatribe.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the scale of this one is just enormous, more people have been displaced than New Orleans I think. Speaking of New Orleans, they had some huge rainfall and are flooded again. Nine inches of rain or some such ludicrous amount. If ever there was a city that needed to be moved to higher ground, New Orleans is it. Why is it that all the desirable places, the places people want to live, seem to be the most vulnerable to natural disasters?

PS. More than half a million ordered evacuated, according to the latest reports, and a state of emergency declared in 7 counties. Another person I hope stays away is Naomi Klein; the last thing the world needs is more of her books.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know of any research on the natural fire cycle? Any studies or pilot projects about letting more fires go to get closer to the natural fire cycle? Is this even an area of active research? Are there any other areas where conditions are lining up to allow this to happen?

This is the focus of a lot of effort in Alberta, and especially in our National Parks. Forest Management policies have evolved quite a bit over the last few decades, and the prevailing philosophy is to monitor and allow forest fires to burn if there is no threat to commercial timber allotments or human settlement.

Wildland / Urban interface fire prevention gets a lot of attention in my area. The national and provincial forestry services use a combination of selective logging and control burns to reduce fire load and slow the spread of inflictions like the Pine Beetle. The municipalities run a program called FireSmart that works with ratepayers to reduce wildfire risk on their property.
JaneBella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Americans.Typical Bush
Watching a clip from an American news network they comment how they now have the largest fire fighting plane in the world fighting the fires now.The Martin Mars bomber.
No mention that Canada (BC) sent it down there to help the Americans.Not even a mention that it is a Canadian plane.
See Bush on the news, at the scene of a burnt house, big smile on his face saying " today your lives may seen devastated ( MAY?) but tomorrow they will be better"( thanks to him he is saying}
Camera switches to New Orleans, Bush is saying the same thing to a couple who lost there home.Today their HOME still looks the same.
The black districts of New Orleans still look like they did the day after Katrina hit
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in Saskatchewan, farmers used to plow a strip along their section of the railroad to prevent fires. This was also back in the day when the railroad maintained a page wire fence to keep the horses off the tracks. The practice ended with the steam train. In the PFRA pasture, you can still see the plow marks, and in some places there is still a post or two for the fence. As far as I know, there has not been a prairie wildfire in my lifetime. So I am not up on any kind of fire prevention, or policy. The post about Alberta's policies was very informative, thanks.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As firefighters struggled to control wildfires that have driven half a million people from their homes in southern California and caused $1bn in damage, police shot and killed one suspected arsonist and arrested another.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new.....res225.xml

Wow, arsonists? I wonder how much of this disaster arson is responsible for?
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, arsonists? I wonder how much of this disaster arson is responsible for?

Some are speculating that all of the fires may have been set fires...

Jump to: