Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: On Hyphens Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Ethics seemed close enough...

Baby Names: A Precocious Feminist War on Children:

Upper Canada Catholic wrote:
What happens, exactly, when Nathaniel Buford-Somerville weds Mary McNaughton-Hutchings and they produce children? Do they become Christopher Daniel Buford-Somerville-McNaughton-Hutchings?...

I've often wondered about this myself. When two hyphenated names are married, do they add more hyphens? Switch out some names? When they have children, do they combine the hyphens of both parents, or just take the last name(s) of one parent?

This also brought to mind a random conversation with a colleague. I made a random observation that hyphenated last names were very common among Quebec youth visiting our fair province. He responded that this was due to marriage laws in Quebec, where it is more or less illegal / impossible for a wife to replace her maiden name with her husband's family name. I'm not sure I believe him, can anyone confirm or deny?

The same guy told me that 'surname' and 'family name' don't mean the same thing to Quebecois ... I wonder if he's just pulling my leg :)
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No your friend is not kidding you.

I was born in Quebec and some of my family stayed behind during the English Exodus. The law was changed several years back and was not grandfathered in. This caused a problem for my granny when she was in hospital during her last illness before she past away. The staff, doctors and nurses etc,...would only address her by her maiden name ( She was 80 something and had been married since 15) and she was befuddled enough to not understand and it only added to her confusion/frustration in her last days.

Jump to: