Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Of course they did, unless the person was a sacrifice, then it was OK.

Well, that ended with Abraham.
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
Were the Mayans exposed to Judeo-Christian values,

Not until they were conquered by the Spanish.
Mayans are a bad example for you to pick. There is not a lot known about their culture, due to the fact it was all but obliterated when they were conquered. What is known does not compare favorably to Judeo-Christian values at all.

Quote:
Without what you call Judeo-Christian values, no society can survive.

This is such a weird statement.
Of course they can survive. Greece survived for many years, as did Persia, Babylon, the Celts and hundreds of other societies.

Although, now that I am reading some of the other comments people are making, perhaps we should clarify what Judeo-Christian values actually are. When I'm see statements like "Laws against murder existed long before Moses" it makes me think we aren't all using the same definition of Judeo-Christian.

-Ruth
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Of course they did, unless the person was a sacrifice, then it was OK.

Christian societies execute criminals too. How is that any better?
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my experience, all radical secular humanists are Atheists. All atheists are not radical secular humanists though.

Quote:
Why shouldn't we play the victim card. Every other indentifiable group that feels wronged in this Country(French gays, woman) does, including atheists.

sigh I have such an off PC comment.

Quote:
Mayans are a bad example for you to pick. There is not a lot known about their culture, due to the fact it was all but obliterated when they were conquered.

Your confusing Mayans and Aztecs, the Mayans wrecked their environment over a thousand years ago.
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
Your confusing Mayans and Aztecs, the Mayans wrecked their environment over a thousand years ago.

No. I am not.
I hate referencing Wikipedia, but this should get you started.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization
Mayans themselves still exist in Mexico and parts of Central America. However, much of their original culture was wiped out when the Spanish made it illegal for them to speak or write in their own languages. What exists now as Mayan culture is not pure, original Mayan culture... which, as I already mentioned is not well-known.
However, it is the subject of some very interesting archaeology.

-Ruth
theatheistjew

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
Laws against murder existed long before Moses came down from the mountain and told everyone, right?

I'm not sure exactly when the actual laws regarding murder came down, but it is part of our evolution to innately and even outwardly know that if we kill someone chances are the killers life is in danger, and since you need cooperation especially when people began to hunt together and live in villages, if murder was thing to do when it came to humankind, we would not be here.
Just check chimps out, they don't have the 10 commandments but they know not to go around killing each other off...however they do kill other chimps from other tribes over territory.........but so does man.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:
Were the Mayans exposed to Judeo-Christian values,

Not until they were conquered by the Spanish.
Mayans are a bad example for you to pick. There is not a lot known about their culture, due to the fact it was all but obliterated when they were conquered. What is known does not compare favorably to Judeo-Christian values at all.

Quote:
Without what you call Judeo-Christian values, no society can survive.

This is such a weird statement.
Of course they can survive. Greece survived for many years, as did Persia, Babylon, the Celts and hundreds of other societies.

Although, now that I am reading some of the other comments people are making, perhaps we should clarify what Judeo-Christian values actually are. When I'm see statements like "Laws against murder existed long before Moses" it makes me think we aren't all using the same definition of Judeo-Christian.

-Ruth

How about you define Judeo-Christian values for me so we can continue playing this game?
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
FascistLibertarian wrote:

No. I am not.
I hate referencing Wikipedia, but this should get you started.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization
Mayans themselves still exist in Mexico and parts of Central America. However, much of their original culture was wiped out when the Spanish made it illegal for them to speak or write in their own languages. What exists now as Mayan culture is not pure, original Mayan culture... which, as I already mentioned is not well-known.
However, it is the subject of some very interesting archaeology.

-Ruth

They were a civilization that sounded a heck of a lot less terrorizing that Europe during the same time (Europe of course was founded on Judeo-Christian values)
My question still stands, what is the difference of Judeo-Christian values and those of the Mayan?

The aspects of morality and ethics seemed to develop nicely for the Mayans without a NT or OT.

Do you think God gave them a separate visit but told them the same stuff?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: