Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

is faith a choice
yes
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
no
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21

gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Because there are fictional characters, all "characters" for which there is no concrete proof of their existence must also be fictional.

Who is to say that they are fictional?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Craig wrote:
Because there are fictional characters, all "characters" for which there is no concrete proof of their existence must also be fictional.

Who is to say that they are fictional?

By they you mean Santa Claus? I'll leave that possibility open if you want. I prefer to be open minded - especially about subjects for which there is no satisfactory explanation, i.e. how existence started.
theatheistjew

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Your comparison is a non sequitur. Because there are fictional characters, all "characters" for which there is no concrete proof of their existence must also be fictional.

To me God is a fictional character as well.

Craig wrote:

Back when science thought the world was flat it was also believed to be unfalsifiable. Many scientific "laws" have been falsified. And it is usually through accidental discovery that they are falsified. People who didn't believe the world was flat were ridiculed (much as you are doing to the faithful here) and even jailed. But FAITH in their belief that the world was round despite the contention by many that it was an established scientific law is what prevailed.

Faith had nothing to do with people speculation the world was round. And science had nothing to do with a flat earth. The scientific method was not used in determining the earth was flat.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
The scientific method was not used in determining the earth was flat.

The science of the time was used. Who is to say our methods of today won't be viewed in a similar fashion 500 years from. The bottom line here is the nobody knows how existence started. Nobody. So from my perspective intelligent design is as good as any theory and should not be thrown out simply so one can call themselves an atheist and stand for something.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
By they you mean Santa Claus? I'll leave that possibility open if you want. I prefer to be open minded - especially about subjects for which there is no satisfactory explanation, i.e. how existence started.

Hey, I'm just as open-minded. I leave the possibility of God open as well. My beliefs on God are probably similar to your beliefs on Santa Claus.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hey, I'm just as open-minded. I leave the possibility of God open as well. My beliefs on God are probably similar to your beliefs on Santa Claus.

That's all I ask. I don't understand how any theory can be discounted when all theories lack any meaningful supporting evidence.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

Jump to: