Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page 1, 2  Next  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cosmostein





Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 7523
Reputation: 301Reputation: 301
votes: 21
Location: The World

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Tory throne speech to embarrass Liberals over Kyoto Reply with quote

Let the speculation begin!

"The Conservatives have drafted a throne speech aimed at forcing the Liberal party into a politically embarrassing abandonment of its Kyoto crusade.

Government sources told the Canadian Press that Prime Minister Stephen Harper believes the Liberals are so desperate to avoid an election that they will roll over and accept a throne speech that describes Kyoto climate-change targets as unattainable."


http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story.....kyoto.html
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please let this one be true. Finally, I want to see the CPC burn their Kyoto bridges, no going back, no flip flopping. If we are 30% above this year, we would have to be 60% below next year to get the average right. It is, and has been for many years, an impossible target.
Bleatmop





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 953
Reputation: 17.5Reputation: 17.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is perfect timing for Harper to do this. The Liberals are bankrupt fiscally (and morally IMO) and party unity is so low that they are publicly fighting now. Stephan "I named my dog Kyoto" Dion can either bring the government down with his party in that state or he can lose all credibility on the Kyoto front by allowing the government to effectively shelve the protocol.

Win Win for us and the NDP, lose lose for the LPC.
cosmostein





Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 7523
Reputation: 301Reputation: 301
votes: 21
Location: The World

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
I think it is perfect timing for Harper to do this. The Liberals are bankrupt fiscally (and morally IMO) and party unity is so low that they are publicly fighting now. Stephan "I named my dog Kyoto" Dion can either bring the government down with his party in that state or he can lose all credibility on the Kyoto front by allowing the government to effectively shelve the protocol.

Win Win for us and the NDP, lose lose for the LPC.


On that note,
Is it possible that Liberal Support is so slow that they could follow the same path as their British Counterparts?

Could this next election set the ground work for a "Conservative Vs. Labour" sort of government moving forward?
Bleatmop





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 953
Reputation: 17.5Reputation: 17.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

On that note,
Is it possible that Liberal Support is so slow that they could follow the same path as their British Counterparts?

Could this next election set the ground work for a "Conservative Vs. Labour" sort of government moving forward?


I'm unsure. What happened to their British Counterparts?
Riley W





Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 857
Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10
Location: Manitoba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the Liberals in Canada couldn't have been as Right Wing as Blair and the Labours after 911.

As far as I know Gordon Brown is doing okay...

OMG...realization time!

Blair, gave the job to Brown. UK Tories ready to take over.

They are repeating Canada's path!

Chretien - Martin - Harper
Blair - Brown - Cameron
chris p





Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 65
Reputation: 25.9Reputation: 25.9Reputation: 25.9
Location: BC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Bleatmop wrote:
I think it is perfect timing for Harper to do this. The Liberals are bankrupt fiscally (and morally IMO) and party unity is so low that they are publicly fighting now. Stephan "I named my dog Kyoto" Dion can either bring the government down with his party in that state or he can lose all credibility on the Kyoto front by allowing the government to effectively shelve the protocol.

Win Win for us and the NDP, lose lose for the LPC.


On that note,
Is it possible that Liberal Support is so slow that they could follow the same path as their British Counterparts?

Could this next election set the ground work for a "Conservative Vs. Labour" sort of government moving forward?


the fall of the liberals there was due to their inability to defeat the conservatives for quite some time before ww2, and the desire for socialism after the hardships of ww2. i don't see a layton run ndp replacing the liberals. if the ndp had a better, more prime ministerial leader (gary doer mabye? bob rea?) then you could see that labour vs conservative divide. mabye the election after?
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...if the ndp had a better, more prime ministerial leader...


In the most recent polls, Jack Layton took 2nd place as Canadian's choice for PM, with a substantial lead over Dion... which isn't to say that I agree with that assessment.
biggie





Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 1738
Reputation: 44Reputation: 44Reputation: 44Reputation: 44
votes: 10
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Quote:
...if the ndp had a better, more prime ministerial leader...


In the most recent polls, Jack Layton took 2nd place as Canadian's choice for PM, with a substantial lead over Dion... which isn't to say that I agree with that assessment.


I spoke with a woman who is a long time NDP member today; she sure doesn't like Layton. I was pretty amazed by her take on him actually.
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I spoke with a woman who is a long time NDP member today; she sure doesn't like Layton. I was pretty amazed by her take on him actually.


Frightening as the notion is, I suspect Layton may actually be to the 'right' of a significant portion of his base... which would explain his popularity among Canadians, and your friend's distaste.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
I spoke with a woman who is a long time NDP member today; she sure doesn't like Layton. I was pretty amazed by her take on him actually.

That doesn't surprise me. Remember, Taliban Jack hasn't improved Dipper fortunes since he became leader. Most Dippers figure TJ betrayed their "grip" on power (and Paul Martin's gonads) when TJ joined the Bloc and the Tories in bringing down the 2004 minority government.

TJ isn't nearly as well regarded as Ed Broadbent outside or inside the party and I suspect if there isn't a significant improvement in Dipper fortunes in the next election, TJ will be invited to take a hike.

-Mac
chris p





Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 65
Reputation: 25.9Reputation: 25.9Reputation: 25.9
Location: BC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who would be their next leader?

Doer seems to be the best option, this is assuming he is no longer primier of course. who else is their? svend robinson? buzz hargrove?
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz disassociated himself from the NDP since they pulled his membership after the 2006 election. Apparently, the Dippers couldn't handle Buzz's recommendation of "strategic voting" for Liberals in ridings where NDP candidates weren't expected to win... plus the visual of Buzz snuggling up to Paul Martin didn't delight them either.

I haven't read anything which indicated Gary Doer was interested in making the leap to federal politics. Svend is too radical and polarizing of a figure to become the leader... and his theft-related resignation might represent a barrier to some Dippers.

To be honest, I haven't heard of anyone who is interested in Taliban Jack's job. If it came open, I expect there's a few ambitious Dippers who would step up. Pierre Ducasse comes to mind.

-Mac
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:

What type of tax cuts is PM Harper going to propose?
TorontoCon





Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 796
Reputation: 50.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly another percentage point off of the GST as outlined when elected but after that I can only speculate that income taxes AND business taxes will be cut accordingly (according to our surplus calculations of the future).

I would LOVE to see income splitting but I think that will wait til the next campaign platform (a bit more aggressive).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Tory throne speech to embarrass Liberals over Kyoto

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB