Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolphin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about 1/3 in to the book right now- God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything- and I love it. It brings up arguments I had never thought of before, and is unapologetic in it's repudiating of the belief in God.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westmanguy wrote:
Quote:
I'm never going to read a book that slaps the face of me and my beliefs.

I read books that are anti-Christian or seek to prove there is no God because I know there is a God and I will always be able to counter any argument against the existence of God.

Your young so you need to be grounded in the faith before you read books like this. Eventually when you read books like this do this it will help build your faith and send you to the Bible for answers. If you ever have any questions about God there are many on this site who can answer them for you.

It is good to know what the other side is thinking so you don't get blind sided by some of their arguments, especially if you are thinking of going to University.
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats what I sort of did with abortion, I firmly planted myself as Pro Life, the began to read all the Pro Choice arguments, and I was able to logically counter every single Pro Choice argument. I also studied the statistics regarding it, and now I have had the opportunity with 3 "Pro Choice" people my age, to debate it, and I left them really thinking, and conflicted by my arguments.

Its just, while I believe their is a God, and I am a Christian, well I rarely read the Bible, my family doesn't go to church (corruption by pastors, deacons, made us leave), and my prayer every night is usually the:

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to keep, God Bless Mom, Dad, ___, ___, ___, etc.I thank you for this day, Keep us safe and healthy, Amen.

Same thing every night.

I really associate myself as a Christian, but I (ashamed) don't have a great relationship with God.

I don't know, thats why I avoid any books or materials that would attempt to shake me in my faith.

I was born into the Christian religion by my parents instilling the Christian values into me, but I haven't had the relationship aspect yet...partly because of probably...my lack of meaningful prayer, etc.

Ugh...

I come to God in a crisis, but forget about him in daily life...
theatheistjew

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
Well thats what I sort of did with abortion, I firmly planted myself as Pro Life, the began to read all the Pro Choice arguments, and I was able to logically counter every single Pro Choice argument. I also studied the statistics regarding it, and now I have had the opportunity with 3 "Pro Choice" people my age, to debate it, and I left them really thinking, and conflicted by my arguments.

Its just, while I believe their is a God, and I am a Christian, well I rarely read the Bible, my family doesn't go to church (corruption by pastors, deacons, made us leave), and my prayer every night is usually the:

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to keep, God Bless Mom, Dad, ___, ___, ___, etc.I thank you for this day, Keep us safe and healthy, Amen.

Same thing every night.

I really associate myself as a Christian, but I (ashamed) don't have a great relationship with God.

I don't know, thats why I avoid any books or materials that would attempt to shake me in my faith.

I was born into the Christian religion by my parents instilling the Christian values into me, but I haven't had the relationship aspect yet...partly because of probably...my lack of meaningful prayer, etc.

Ugh...

I come to God in a crisis, but forget about him in daily life...

Try reading The God Part of The Brain. It is about someones search for God. You might not like his conclusions though :)
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westmanguy wrote:
Quote:

Go and buy some books by Donald Miller at the local Christian bookstore. "Blue Like Jazz" or "Searching for God Knows What". They are written in a non church manner and will give you a view of Christianity absent of the "church view". It seems to me you would fit into the post-modern church very well. Post-modernism is sort of a rejection of the current church structures and the hierarchies in place.

If you want a good place to start reading the Bible read Psalm 22. It has a description(prophecy) of Jesus' crucifixtion written 900 years before it happened. There are many examples of these kinds of prophecies in the Bible and everytime I read one it strengthens my faith.
Searching for things in the bible is a good way to start reading it. Many Bibles have what is called a concordance at the back that lists words and where the appear in the scriptures. It can be more interesting than just reading a book at a time(except Genesis which is a great story)

Don't feel guilty for not having a great relationship with God right now. He's in control and will reach out to you in ways that you won't believe if you just have faith and love him.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: