Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Free speech - banned from forums Reply with quote

Everytime I ban someone from these forums or delete a topic or post I invariably hear complaints about how I'm infringing on their right to free speech. I want to make something perfectly clear to every member here (most people understand this concept). We have rules...

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/forums/topic56.html

If you don't follow these rules action will be taken. Is that a violation of free speech? No. This is a private website run by private citizens. You can't call up CTV and demand that they give you time on the evening news. Likewise we don't have to "air" everything you have to say. The irony is that when someone demands that I allow them to say whatever they want on this website they are actually infringing on MY right to free speech. Forcing me to say what you want on my website is infringing on my right to freedom of speech.

Now 99.9% of the members here understand this concept. Obey the rules (i.e. don't call someone dumber than a rock) and all is well.

Thanks for allowing me to vent (thank God for free speech) :)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I say this is a private property/forum and you may reserve the right to restrict some people's access to maintain the order?
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we got a similar complaint from a Liberal on UNA accusing us of trying to shut her up about because of her constant blaming America for everything routine. We haven't banned her, but I can guarantee you if I went on a Liberal forum I would be banned within my first pro Conservative post. It seems on Conservative forums we actually allow Liberals to post until they cross the line.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a liberal/conservative thing. It's about respecting the rules. Some people think they can come in here and do whatever the hell they want. They can call people whatever they want and behave rudely in general. I typically give a very innocuous warning and depending on how they respond proceed from there.
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
It's not a liberal/conservative thing. It's about respecting the rules. Some people think they can come in here and do whatever the hell they want. They can call people whatever they want and behave rudely in general. I typically give a very innocuous warning and depending on how they respond proceed from there.

In fact, more Liberals might be fun to have around. They'd provide more debate. We wouldn't want to just sit around and say "I agree".
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Liberal on Conservative Life who was polite & very respecting of the rules, if Craig still has his e-mail he should be offered membership here, unfortunately I can't remember his membership name, although if I saw it I would know who he was.

ferret wrote:

Agreed but at the same time I find that people in general are easily angered by people with conflicting views. Most who preach about tolerance in the real world often do the exact opposite, therefore when it comes to forum management as moderators, ( I'm a moderator on United North America), we have to come up with a median to try to keep flame wars to a minimum. Fortunately BT has been flame war free & hopefully it will remain that. Till a user crosses the line I chose to keep my finger away from the ban user function, & I can tell you how hard that can be.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

For what it's worth, Craig is right. I tend to disagree with many people here, and I've even been labeled a liberal, but I have not been banned.

Quote:
In fact, more Liberals might be fun to have around. They'd provide more debate. We wouldn't want to just sit around and say "I agree".

Exactly.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
There was a Liberal on Conservative Life who was polite & very respecting of the rules, if Craig still has his e-mail he should be offered membership here, unfortunately I can't remember his membership name, although if I saw it I would know who he was.

Yep, we had many good members. I should have kept their contact info. BTW: Where is Joahob? Tell him to get his butt back in here :)
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Hasdrubal wrote:

Yep, we had many good members. I should have kept their contact info. BTW: Where is Joahob? Tell him to get his butt back in here :)

When joahob left BT he left all other forums. I got his e-mail somewhere. :wink:
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those people should go to Rabble for a few days, to see what an uncontrolled, uncivil forum looks like. I think they will appreciate having some adult supervision after that.
theatheistjew

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Those people should go to Rabble for a few days, to see what an uncontrolled, uncivil forum looks like. I think they will appreciate having some adult supervision after that.

I'm sorry that I called you names on this board. There is no need to personally insult anyone. For now on, I will conduct myself in a more professional manner (though I don't get paid to post here :) )

I'll stick to debunking people with facts.

And if I've insulted anyone else here personally, please accept my apologies.
Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TAJ!

I appreciate your appreciation of what we're trying to accomplish here vis-a-vis respectable debate.

I should also ask of the BT forum membership to respect your differences and thoughts about religion even if they disagree.

This forum is about rational debate and the only way we can have that is if there is mutual respect. And, mutual respect means respect for your opinions as well.
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!
Moving on...

-Ruth
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

Man, if anyone is suffering from low blood pressure they should spend an hour at rabble. That place is unreal.

Anyway, I'm locking this puppy, as Ruth says "moving on..."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to: