Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Quote:
I don't even want faith based education looked at, unless he has a free vote to get rid of Catholic funding too.

Every Catholic I've talked has no problem with getting rid of Seperate schools. Does anyone have a perspective on this as a Catholic.

I can give you my perspective as a tax payer,

The cost would be substancal,
As I noted before the Premiers of Ontario's past bit on a cost saving issue that will potentially make the elimination of the board tricky.

Aside from the Constitutional issue, In an attempt to save money Ontario (Under All Three Parties) accepted the Catholic Diasese offer to built Catholic High Schools on Property owned by the Church, the Diasese also agreed to maintain the grounds in many cases.

So in the event of a messy battle, the Diasese has every right to ask the Province to remove the schools from their property and I can only imagine the logistical nightmare of 25-40% of the high schools in Ontario being closed and then rebuilt on public land.

As I have said from the start, this was a hole that was dug decades ago and as much as many Catholic's may publicly say, sure get rid of the board should it actually happen I can imagine the noise will be fairly great and the legal challenge will be fairly lengthy.

We basically have till the end of 2008 to comply with the UN charge,

Can we eliminate Catholic Funding by then? Not a hope in hell.
So what is the alternative?

I would imagine that in the Liberals second budget they will include either a private school tax credit, or a religious education tax credit as a way of funding faith based schools but not calling it faith based funding because the reality is that something has to be done and soon, and when you weigh the two options the choice is pretty straight forward.
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
Best...
Decision...
Ever...
excellent political move :)

I think it makes him look weak. I mean, he's flip-flopped during an election campaign. This does not bode well for how he would serve as premier.
I have a hunch the Liberals are going to take this one.

-Ruth
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
biggie wrote:
Best...
Decision...
Ever...
excellent political move :)

I think it makes him look weak. I mean, he's flip-flopped during an election campaign. This does not bode well for how he would serve as premier.
I have a hunch the Liberals are going to take this one.

-Ruth

I think at this point there is very little doubt of that,
The question now should be will Harper take note and realize that if you shift to the center in an attempt to win over those voters in the middle that you generally alienate your core supporters.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mot only alienate your core supporters, but fail to win the votes you are after. It was a double whammy for Tory. Maybe for the next leader, they will focus on the noun in their name, and try to ignore the adjective?
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper needs to bring in a budget with no spending increases while lowering taxes alot. When the Libs lowered taxes 100 billion dollars (so the Star says - I must have missed it) they secured their third majority. Haper will secure his majority and then the provincial parties will start aligning with the CPC and drop the adjective(hopefully). Tory is a sad excuse for a leader. He was crying yesterday. Don't know how that will play.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meanwhile, while Ontario goes into hysterics over a proposal to extend public funding to 50,000 kids -- 2% of the total -- in private schools, Britain continues with ambitious plans to "break down the historic divide between the state and private sectors in education..."," making public schools more like private, and private more like public.
http://andrewcoyne.com/2007/10.....as-are.php
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Tory was crying?

Huh? Source please! :)

I added Mr. Tory to my facebook and he (or his staff more likely) accepted my friendship!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: