Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Far Left Websites Pressuring FOX News Advertisers Reply with quote

Liberals pressure Fox News advertisers

Updated Sat. Jul. 28 2007 8:56 AM ET

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Liberal activists are stepping up their campaign against Fox News Channel by pressuring advertisers not to patronize the network.

MoveOn.org, the Campaign for America's Future and liberal blogs like DailyKos.com are asking thousands of supporters to monitor who is advertising on the network. Once a database is gathered, an organized phone-calling campaign will begin, said Jim Gilliam, vice president of media strategy for Brave New Films, a company that has made anti-Fox videos.

The groups have successfully pressured Democratic presidential candidates not to appear at any debate sponsored by Fox, and are also trying to get Home Depot Inc. to stop advertising there.

At least 5,000 people nationwide have signed up to compile logs on who is running commercials on Fox, Gilliam said. The groups want to first concentrate on businesses running local ads, as opposed to national commercials.

"It's a lot more effective for Sam's Diner to get calls from 10 people in his town than going to the consumer complaint department of some pharmaceutical company," Gilliam said.

Some of the videos produced by Gilliam's company compile statements made by Fox anchors and guests that the activists consider misleading, such as those that question global warming.

Representatives for Fox News Channel, which is owned by News Corp., did not immediately return calls for comment.

Home Depot has not had an unusual number of calls, said spokesman Jerry Shields, and the home improvement chain will not change its advertising strategy.

"We're not in the business of censoring media," Shields said. "We need to reach our customer base through all mediums available."

Groups like the Sierra Club have targeted Home Depot because they believe it's inconsistent for the company to promote environmentally friendly products while advertising on a network that has questioned global warming.

The groups seem particularly angry at Fox's Bill O'Reilly, who has done critical reports on left-wing bloggers. On July 16, O'Reilly said the DailyKos.com Web site is "hate of the worst order," and sent a reporter to question JetBlue Airways Corp. CEO Dave Barger about the airline's sponsorship of a gathering run by DailyKos.

He'll never ride on JetBlue again, O'Reilly said.

Fox said JetBlue has since asked that its name be removed from the DailyKos.com Web site.

MoveOn.org is campaigning against Fox because it says the network characterizes itself as a fair news network when it consistently favors a conservative point of view, said Adam Green, the organization's spokesman.

"We're not trying to silence anybody," Green said. "Rush Limbaugh has a right to be on the air -- he admits his point of view. Fox doesn't."

BLEEPIN BLEEP BLEEP

Their. Arg....I love FOX News and watch about 2 hours daily, and watch The O'Reilly Factor all the time.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really follow US politics so I don't watch Fox News much; though I wish they would come out with a Fox News Canada.
Riley W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Sun Media...

Sun Media (SUNTV Toronto, and all those Sun newspapers) is the only really COnservative company.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like Fox...most of their programming is trash and their news is a bit sensationalist...what I would like to see is a more mature conservative news outlet, not that pitiful excuse for a network...

erl
Riley W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerl7011 wrote:
I really don't like Fox...most of their programming is trash and their news is a bit sensationalist...what I would like to see is a more mature conservative news outlet, not that pitiful excuse for a network...

erl

You've been deceived!

FOX is a great network. It gives each side a fair shot, and has good debates and discussions on their and is one of the few media outlets who gives the Right/Conservatives a fair shot.

But it would be awesome if someone bought CBC Newsworld or CTV Newsnet and made it Conservative! (Sun Media is our best shot at that)
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it will not work. The advertisers will go where the viewers are, regardless of what some small group of activists threaten. All FOX has to do is keep their product better than their competitors, and people will keep watching.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders why liberals, leftists et al want to shut every dissenting voice!?
Riley W

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of like now their is a new move in the US Democrats to reinstate the fairness doctrine.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
Sort of like now their is a new move in the US Democrats to reinstate the fairness doctrine.

Leftists are terrible.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dems and their leftist friends want to shut down dissent by smearing people of relgion and social standing it's no wondering both nations can't move forward.
Thermo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to comment on the latest attack on Bill O'Reilly by the truth-bending left.

Since they've been unable to put a dent in his ratings, they've now decided to play the race card and brand him a racist. While this is not surprising by any means, what is disturbing is that the MSM has regurgetated this pap verbatim without doing any investiagtion of their own.

This stems from a radio broadcast of his that was cherry picked ( SOP) by Mediawatch. This broadcast is available on O'Reilly's web site and he has encouraged all (I have) to listen to it and draw their own conclusions. His guest was FOX contributor Juan Willams (African-American). Mr. Williams was a guest on the Factor last night and he firmly rejected the notion that there was any racist intent on the part of Mr. O'Reilly. After watching the Factor I thought I'd check out CNN to get their side. What I saw disgusted me more than the usual fare they serve up. They had two African-American guests commenting on the issue, one for, and one against. I think the program was "Out in the Open". While this may seem on the surface to be fair, it certainly wasn't balanced. At least on FOX when they have two dissenting views on a show, they let both speak. Not so on CNN, the gentleman attacking O'Reilly wouldn't hold his breath long enough to let the other reply, even though timmidly asked to by the programs host. The most disturbing thing was the attack on the above mentioned Mr. Williams by the guest attacking Mr. O'Reilly. In his opinion Mr. Willams (and here I'm paraphrasing) wasn't black enough to be taken seriously on this matter, and neither was the other guest. I would have expected the host to say something at that point, but hey, it's CNN.

You want to know the sad thing? I'd rather watch CNN than any Canadian MSM to get a fair(er) view of the world, I've even cancelled my NP subscription. Too bad WS isn't a daily.

BTW. Why do I get CNN for free, but have to pay for FOX? Things that make you go hmmm.
Riley W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermo wrote:
I'd just like to comment on the latest attack on Bill O'Reilly by the truth-bending left.

Since they've been unable to put a dent in his ratings, they've now decided to play the race card and brand him a racist. While this is not surprising by any means, what is disturbing is that the MSM has regurgetated this pap verbatim without doing any investiagtion of their own.

This stems from a radio broadcast of his that was cherry picked ( SOP) by Mediawatch. This broadcast is available on O'Reilly's web site and he has encouraged all (I have) to listen to it and draw their own conclusions. His guest was FOX contributor Juan Willams (African-American). Mr. Williams was a guest on the Factor last night and he firmly rejected the notion that there was any racist intent on the part of Mr. O'Reilly. After watching the Factor I thought I'd check out CNN to get their side. What I saw disgusted me more than the usual fare they serve up. They had two African-American guests commenting on the issue, one for, and one against. I think the program was "Out in the Open". While this may seem on the surface to be fair, it certainly wasn't balanced. At least on FOX when they have two dissenting views on a show, they let both speak. Not so on CNN, the gentleman attacking O'Reilly wouldn't hold his breath long enough to let the other reply, even though timmidly asked to by the programs host. The most disturbing thing was the attack on the above mentioned Mr. Williams by the guest attacking Mr. O'Reilly. In his opinion Mr. Willams (and here I'm paraphrasing) wasn't black enough to be taken seriously on this matter, and neither was the other guest. I would have expected the host to say something at that point, but hey, it's CNN.

You want to know the sad thing? I'd rather watch CNN than any Canadian MSM to get a fair(er) view of the world, I've even cancelled my NP subscription. Too bad WS isn't a daily.

BTW. Why do I get CNN for free, but have to pay for FOX? Things that make you go hmmm.

Hey I heard about this incident. I watched The Factor the other night and was outraged.

CNN has gone to the dark side too...I used to think CNN was fair and pretty moderate, but nope, not anymore.

About the last part.

CNN came long before FNC. It became available on Canadian analog cable way back when.

FNC only came about in 1996, but (which irritates me), Canada didn't get FOX News Channel till 2004! 8 YEARS LATER! And then they put it on digital cable in the Extra News pack.

I think Liberal government appoint Liberal people to CRTC had some stuff to do with it...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck Tory wrote:
Dems and their leftist friends want to shut down dissent by smearing people of relgion and social standing it's no wondering both nations can't move forward.

A few days ago, Bill Clintoon threatened GQ magazine that was going to run a negative story on him and told the magazine to pull the story down if they want to have him for an interview in their next issue.

Leftism is about shutting down dissent and truth every where, be it in the US or Canada
Thermo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a post to correct the facts in my original post.

It was Mediamatters and not Mediawatch that was responsible for the racist accusations. And the CNN guest ( Boyce Watkins ) called Mr. Williams a "happy negro" (twice), without an objection from the programs host. Apoligies for the incorrect fact and the paraphrase, seems my memory isn't what it used to be :oops: .

On tonights Factor, the lead guest was none other than the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and while I still don't like him, I do now have respect for the man. I think there may indeed be a silver lining to this, nice to see the MSM dig their own hole.

BTW, nice to see the Calgary Herald in the Pinhead category tonight for running the story as well. I knew there was something fishy with that publication when it was the only newspaper I could use to puppy train my dog :wink: .

Jump to: