Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Provincial CPC parties? Reply with quote

I don't think we have any OFFICIAL affiliated provincial parties.

I guess the Progressive Conservative Parties of Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland & Labrador, the Sask Party of Saskatchewan, Conservative Party of British Columbia are the defaults.

Will any of these PC or Right Wing provincial parties make an official affiliation with the CPC?

Do you want that?

Some thoughts...
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in favour of any official affiliation. There are less opportunities for patronage and funding issues, less infighting, and less likeliehood of a provincial government's mistakes influencing perception of the CPC. Any crossover or endorsement should be based on common ideaology or goals on a case by case basis, IMO.
biggie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer independence of the provinces...

I think that provincial political parties should be worried only about the impact federal policies have on their own province...

This way those parties can also make determinations on an issue by issue basis.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does add a bit of confusion when the provincial parties have the same name as the federal parties... particularly here in BC where the Liberals are centrist rather than left-wing... Of course, the provincial NDP are rabidly left-wing to the point of moonbat.

-Mac
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am for independence between the parties. When I vote for a federal party, I'm voting for the party that I think is best for the nation. When I vote for the provincial party, I want them to represent my province to the best of their ability. Quite often the goals between the two are not the same. IMO, this type of conflict between federal and provincial powers is healthy for any democracy.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it seperate. Here in BC, any formal right wing party would take votes away from the Liberals and we would end up with the NDP. Glen Clark won that way in 1996 when he had less of popular vote then the Liberals. I supported and worked on the Reform campaign that year. Never again.

Centre is better then the left. I would rather live with the Liberals then with the NDP.
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the multitude of "conservative" parties in each province, official affiliation may have unintended consequences both provincially and federally.

I mean, here in Alberta, we have the PCs - which has members which vote both Liberal and Conservative, federally; but we also have the Alberta Alliance, which votes for the Tories federally as well.... as well as smaller parties like the Alberta Party and even the old Socreds which can likely be counted in the "Tory" catagory as well.

Affiliating with one over the other could cause splits in federal support...
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to keep things seperate is that you don't want a provincial wing of the party doing or saying something that could harm the federal wing.
Knave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palomino_pony wrote:
Another reason to keep things seperate is that you don't want a provincial wing of the party doing or saying something that could harm the federal wing.

That was never a problem when all the parties, federal and provincial, were "Progressive Conservative."

Of course, I should perhaps mention - if only for interests' sake - that one of the reasons the federal Reform Party didn't enter provincial politics was because they had a respectful relationship with Don Getty and the PCs in Alberta; despite the fact that the Reform Party of Alberta, which was simply a placeholder, polled higher in opinion polls in Provincial politics for a time in the late 80s.

Provincial politics is a different bucket of mud from the federal one - and I think the CPC membership would really rather only have one to worry about....

Jump to: