Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Ontario provincial debate thread Reply with quote

Alright... John Tory, Dalton McGuinty and Howard Hampton square off tonight in the leader's debate.

Any predictions?

What does Tory have to do?

What does McGuinty have to do?

What does Hampton have to do?

What are you watching for?

Last edited by Stephen on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Provincial debate tonight! Predictions? Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
Alright... John Tory, Dalton McGuinty and Howard Hampton square off tonight in the leader's debate.

Any predictions?

What does Tory have to do?

What does McGuinty have to do?

What does Hampton have to do?

What are you watching for?

FB Fudning will come up. Tory has to explain that the Liberal spin of "removing half a billion from public education" is a lie and that he will actually be adding that much to public education.
He needs to hammer home his position on PPP health care and use specific examples like that in my video, and ask rhetorically if the $900 per person per year health tax has made any improvements.
He needs to destroy Dalton's credibility on health care and trust and steer clear of FB funding except for emphasizing the lies of the Liberal spin machine.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the unofficial theme will be:

"Dalton you got some splainin to do"

Howie for all his faults is a tactful leader, and will not waste time going after Tory when he knows his best route to secure votes will be to shake them loose from the Liberals.

Tory on the other hand has not acknowledged the existence of the NDP during this election in any of his blitz's.

It will be a two on one brawl, and I don't think McGuinty has an slick answer to every broken promise, and it just takes ONE sound byte to sink an election so I would imagine a win for Dalton is not adding to the current "Broken Promise Issue"

I feel that Tory will do what Tory does, be an excellent speaker and come off as a leader a win for him as landing a SINGLE blow to McGuinty.

As for Howie, same does as for Tory.

My early call based on what I have seen of them thus far is a "Tory Victory" but I wouldn't be surprised if Howie did not win the attention of some undecided voters
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tory should bring up Caledonia, and ask McGuinty if there is any area of responsibility that he is willing to take a leadership role in. I mean, if Ontario sovereignty and rule of law is not his problem, then what is? What are the people of Ontario paying him to do?
Louise M.

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hampton will be a big help to Tory in cornering McGuinty on his broken promises, poor leadership and Colle-gate.

McGuinty will be positioned in the middle of the two other leaders. I don't envy him.

I'm not sure about raising Caledonia. Action against protesters was taken yesterday and the voters may think that vindicates McGuinty. I'd leave it alone.

It's Tory's first debate. Either he will shine or flop. We'll see.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuinty got emotional talking about Tory trashing his reputation.

McGuinty's key line has been "Let's not be so negative"

The response: "But we're talking about your record!"
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that there was a major power outage in Toronto a few days ago. Did Tory make the connection between the McGuinty promise to shut down coal power, and the power troubles of today? Should have been a no-brainer.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watching it now...

but Tory definitely made some good points on the FBS funding issue..

Still don't agree with it, but its dropped on my list of priorities.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it that McGuinty got a free pass on his energy policy with regards to the power outage?
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
So I take it that McGuinty got a free pass on his energy policy with regards to the power outage?

While Tory did not target that incident he did go after him on energy,
Saying that its all fine and good to talk about shutting down coal plants and alternatives powers like wind and solar but we need a bridge to get us from point A to point B and the "right now" is something the Liberals are ignoring.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general thoughts are that both the Howie and Tory got some good shots in,

I generally found McGuinty unable to counter many of the points raised and he kept sort of falling back into the standard "We have lots of work to do" mode although that quickly stopped when Tory generally asked why has this "lots of work" only been done in the weeks leading up to the election?

Or my favorite "When we start a job we can blame our predecessor for a few weeks maybe even months but after four years? come on "

While I think Tory came out very strong within the debate, I have to give credit where credit is due. Howie did a good job for his cause and while I disagree with much of the platform he did very well.

If Howard Hampton was the Federal NDP leader I think they would be our opposition party today.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see the debates, and I don't plan too. I am seeing exactly the result I expected though; Toronto Star and Kinsella are crowing about McGuinty's debate victory. People here are crowing about Tory's slam dunk. I imagine the Rabble boards are all joyful about the other guy's victory too.

I think it is time to declare the election debate as obsolete and completely useless.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I did not see the debates, and I don't plan too. I am seeing exactly the result I expected though; Toronto Star and Kinsella are crowing about McGuinty's debate victory. People here are crowing about Tory's slam dunk. I imagine the Rabble boards are all joyful about the other guy's victory too.

I think it is time to declare the election debate as obsolete and completely useless.

There was no "Slam Dunk"
I think Tory did well for his first ever major TV appearance in front of Ontario voters.

The best way I can describe the night will have to be borrowed from a post I saw earlier today,

"Tory took the night, but not by storm"
Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two takes on the debate

the partisan take (in response to Kinsella's list pointing to Liberal friendly headlines): http://splatto.net/blog/?p=736

The unpartisan take, written immediately after the debate but published this morning: http://splatto.net/blog/?p=734
triple M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feltTory hit the nail on the head when it comes to Dalton he is just to damn complacent and if Ontario is going to get back to where it needs to be we need to do much better than that. I know many don't agree with Tory on FBS but can we afford another 4 years of directionless Government.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 6

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: