Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: The story of an Ottawa Cancer Patient & Liberal Jim Wats Reply with quote

Please post this on your blog, on forums, everywhere. It is the story of Samantha, a cancer patient who has been fighting "the system" for four years to receive treatment. This is something every voter in Ontario who has had a friend or loved one affected by cancer must see.

The story of an Ottawa Cancer Patient & Liberal Jim Watson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5IrTPXn2k

Hon. Mr. Watson: I just don't know what the Leader of the Opposition categorizes as inefficiencies within the health care system.
Hansard, May 29th, 2007
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme just show off our forum's Youtube embed feature:

Link
Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps, I clicked the URL button instead of the YouTube button. Thanks Steven.

Everyone, I encourage you to distribute this video to everyone you know, complete with your thoughts on the state of Canadian and Ontarian health-care.

My thoughts on what Samantha has been through? I think it's deplorable, and I think every single citizen of this country should hang their heads in shame for allowing this to go on as long as it has. Please help us cut through the Liberal fear-mongering and explain our case to voters.
Thank you.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see stories like this, and I have to call this zero tier health care; this woman, and many people like her, don't have access to health care at all. I would take 2 tier, 3 tier, heck even 1 tier health care over zero tier.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our current system is laughable,
And this is another primary example of that.

I find it appalling that we are "Striving" for 26 week wait times for Hip Replacements while a colleague in the States waited all of two weeks.

We already have a two tier system, do you think Elizabeth May waited the full half year for her hip replacement?

How many times has this arbitrary "24-hour emergency list" been abused by the more affluent Canadians?

Just start giving me a damn choice.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join this Facebook group in support:

http://www.facebook.com/group......amp;ref=mf
Childcare advocate

Reputation: 5.7Reputation: 5.7Reputation: 5.7Reputation: 5.7Reputation: 5.7
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Cancer Patient Confronts Premier Reply with quote

Cancer Patient Confronts Premier
Cancer Patient Confronts Premier
Josh Pringle
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Premier Dalton McGuinty was greeted at the Ottawa Hospital General Campus by a 63-year-old man who refused to shake the Liberal leader's hand.

Mike Brady told McGuinty that he has cancer and "you're not helping any."

The Premier replied "that's not true" and continued his tour.

Brady suffers from stage four colon cancer which has spread to his lungs and liver.

Brady told the Canadian Press "I'm not very happy with the kind of services that we're getting" in Ontario.

The Ottawa man says McGuinty had a lot of nerve to court cancer patients when the Ontario Government doesn't fund the kind of cancer drugs available in other provinces and in the United States.

Later the Premier told reporters "we've all had some connection with somebody in the family who's been affected by cancer. From that gentleman's perspective, more needs to be done. And he's right. He's right."
Childcare advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I've got cancer and you're not helping any'
Premier's 'gang' blocking medicine that would help, Ottawa patient charges
Craig Pearson, The Windsor Star
Published: Thursday, September 27, 2007

It might have been enough to make Premier Dalton McGuinty feel sick.

During a Liberal campaign stop at The Ottawa Hospital Regional Cancer Centre yesterday, with a phalanx of media in tow, the smiling premier slowed to chat with a patient and shake his hand.

However, Mike Brady, 63, did not accept Mr. McGuinty's hand.
Premier Dalton McGuinty examines a radiation treatment machine during yesterday's visit to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre.View Larger Image View Larger Image
Premier Dalton McGuinty examines a radiation treatment machine during yesterday's visit to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre.
Rod Macivor, The Ottawa Citizen

"I've got cancer," Mr. Brady deadpanned. "And you're not helping any."

"That's not true," Mr. McGuinty said as he continued walking.

Mr. McGuinty wanted to focus on how his government has improved health care in Ontario, in part through reduced surgical wait times.

In their first term, Liberals say they measured and reduced wait times for five specialized surgeries: cataract surgery, hip and knee replacements, cancer surgery, cardiac procedures, and MRI and CT scans.

If re-elected, the Liberals plan to also reduce wait times for general surgery, which constitutes 40 per cent of all surgeries.

"We need to keep moving forward if we are to meet the needs of a growing and aging population, and speeding up access to general surgeries is the next important step forward," Mr. McGuinty said.

"Under the Harris Conservatives, confidence in medicare was eroding. Hospitals were being closed, nurses were being fired, and wait times for important procedures were far too long. Now we're building and expanding hospitals, hiring nurses and delivering faster access to specialized procedures."

When he took questions after his hospital tour, though, several reporters focused on the patient who was blunt with Mr. McGuinty and who later said he could not in Ontario get certain cancer drugs free that patients could get in Newfoundland.

"His gang are holding up things that are available," Mr. Brady said when the premier left. "I don't have the money to spend $60,000 on drugs in the United States that I need. I'm not very happy with that kind of service."

Mr. McGuinty used the incident to criticize the Conservatives, saying they wanted to cut health care in Ontario by $3 billion.

"From that gentleman's perspective, more needs to be done, and he's right," Mr. McGuinty said.

"More needs to be done, but we can't do more if we take $3 billion out of the system."

Earlier in the day in London, Mr. McGuinty said 9,000 nursing positions were slashed during the Mike Harris government. While he agreed that Conservative Leader John Tory was a different person than Mr. Harris, he contended any Conservative regime would slash health care.

"I compare the policies of Mr. Tory to Mr. Harris," McGuinty said. "He's a different individual, but, at the end of the day, what happened in the past would happen again."
Childcare advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By LAURA CZEKAJ, SUN MEDIA

Michael Brady had words with Dalton McGuinty yesterday during the premier's stop at the Ottawa Hospital. Brady refused to shake McGuinty's hand, blaming the province for not doing more to provide cancer patients like himself with the drugs needed to survive. (BLAIR GABLE/SUN)

As a protest of the province's failure to provide him with the drugs he needs to survive, a cancer patient refused to shake Premier Dalton McGuinty's outstretched hand during a campaign stop at the Ottawa Hospital yesterday.

"I thought he had a lot of nerve showing up at a cancer clinic," said Michael Brady, 63, who has colon cancer.

UNEXPECTED GLITCH

It was an unexpected glitch for the premier, who spent the day promoting his government's boost to health care and his promises of further investments to benefit patients and their families.

McGuinty was strolling through the hospital's new critical care wing at the General Campus when he spied Brady, who was waiting to see an oncologist.

"How are you doing, sir?" McGuinty asked, extending his hand.

"I've got cancer and you are not helping any," Brady told the premier.

"That's not true," said McGuinty, dropping his empty hand and walking away.

Brady said he is only alive because some American drug companies were running an experiment and he managed to get his name on the list of test subjects.

He said that between the outrageous cost of cancer drugs and the provincial premiers' inability to work together to make the drugs available across Canada, the medical system has failed those with cancer.

"Even though the doctor says I am doing quite well, I don't forget that it's not McGuinty's doing," he said.

When the premier was asked later about his encounter with Brady, he agreed more has to be done and the province must continue to make investments in health care.

"As a province, we are spending twice the amount of money on cancer drugs than we did four years ago and we have added a number of new drugs to the system which have been covered publicly," he said.

While wait times across the province declined in the five areas targeted by the Liberals, the Ottawa Hospital has lagged behind provincial wait times in areas such as cataract surgery.

McGuinty said it's a continuing process and the collection of data on wait times provides the province with a better idea of where more resources are needed.

NEW INFRASTRUCTURE

The situation at the Ottawa Hospital has improved in recent months with new infrastructure investments and equipment provided by the province, said Dr. Hartley Stern, vice-president of the hospital's Regional Cancer Program.

Ottawa South Progressive Conservative candidate Richard Raymond said there are weaknesses in the health care system that caused those waiting for surgery to fall through the cracks.

"There is a lot to be done and the Tory government will get it done quicker," he said
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to: