Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Finally a Liberal making some sense... Reply with quote

Liberal preaches fiscal conservatism

Quote:
Former deputy prime minister John Manley told Liberal party members on Monday that Canada has lacked a "fiscal anchor" since knocking off the deficit, and as a result, Canadians are paying too much tax, and Ottawa is spending too much money.

He said it is time for a policy that benchmarks federal spending to a percentage of economic output.

Are you listening Mr. Harper???

http://www.canada.com/ottawaci.....mp;k=79509

Oh, it gets better...

Quote:
"We have to find a way not to disparage our winners. It is a national sport and politicians have to take some of the blame."
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally a Liberal making some sense... Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Maybe he can make it popular :?
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally a Liberal making some sense... Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Quote:
Former deputy prime minister John Manley told Liberal party members on Monday that ... it is time for a policy that benchmarks federal spending to a percentage of economic output.

Are you listening Mr. Harper???

I hope not.

Benchmarking federal spending to a percentage of economic output will lead to increased spending except in a recession, when a conservative fiscal policy would dictate the opposite.

As an aside, in his 1 year as Chretien's Finance Minister, Manley brought in a whole raft of new spending. So, he is hardly in a position to lecture others.

If he runs in the next election, against John Baird or Pierre Polievre for example, the debates will be interesting to watch.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally a Liberal making some sense... Reply with quote

cbasu wrote:
Benchmarking federal spending to a percentage of economic output will lead to increased spending except in a recession, when a conservative fiscal policy would dictate the opposite.

Presumedly, it would be a running five year average so that spending could be increased during recessionary times and restrained at other times.

Quote:
As an aside, in his 1 year as Chretien's Finance Minister, Manley brought in a whole raft of new spending. So, he is hardly in a position to lecture others.

Something tells me he wasn't calling the shots.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Presumedly, it would be a running five year average so that spending could be increased during recessionary times and restrained at other times.

So we have a recession which means less tax revenue and then we increase spending at the same time. So just when we need low interest rates there is increased Government borrowing(deficit) which decreases the money available to be borrowed which increases interest rates.

Hey were back to the late 70,s early 80's

Hayek just turned over in his grave.
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Manley has always impressed me as being a good politician and having a clear, non-partisan mind. As I recall, it was he who broke party lines when all the Liberal/NDP rhetoric was going on stating that Canada has always been neutral in our foreign policy. He won my respect then, although I still won't ever vote for him unless he changes his party.
Danconmont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I greatly respect John Manley, I would remind him that in the latter years of the Liberal government when he was finance minister and the books were balanced, spending at the federal level was growing at an alarming rate of 10 to 12 billion dollars per year. While now spending growth is still high, it is slowing down to a growth of approximately 7-8 billion dollars per year. Furthermore, these new investments are coming in large part in transfers to the provinces which the Liberals cut in the 90's and in defence spending which the Liberals also cut drastically in the 90's. As a result, this is much less a spending spree than correcting over the top cuts by the Liberals 12 years ago.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought spending was up more than that. Thanks for putting it into perspective. Very good post Danconmont.

Welcome to the blog.
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it about how much?

Spending to me is never about how much, its about value.
What are we spending it on? are we getting value for that dollar?

I would like to see the Gov't focus more on that then anything else. Go after the "what" and not the "how much".

If we are taxed at the pumps for roads "What is that money being spent on?" Is the bureaucracy taking 20% to funnel the money to the appropriate people? Is any of this money going into general revenue? etc etc..
Audit all departments and report on the spending and the misspending?
Hit the Privy Council where it hurts.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands, I am tempted to take whatever little scrap of blue I can find, no matter how washed out the color. I am drowning in a sea of red; shades of red and pink as far as the eye can see, in all the federal parties.

Jump to: