Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: I hope John Tory loses. Reply with quote

Sorry guys. He's just as liberal as McGuinty and I don't support extending the funding of religious schools to all religions. I think that is the wrong path to go down and will lead to more ghetoization of immigrant communities.
evilfrosty101

Reputation: 6.7Reputation: 6.7Reputation: 6.7Reputation: 6.7Reputation: 6.7Reputation: 6.7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not support funding of religious schools, and I also do not support keeping the status quo. I rather have no funding of any religious educational institutions, and due to this the green party has my support so far.

People of different religions are asking for time off school to practice their religion (and they are getting the time,) there is silent prayer time in the morning and more.

Last edited by evilfrosty101 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read about Tory makes it amply clear he's a "Progressive" sort of PC. I guess you have to choose the best MLA in your riding, Craig, and hope for the best. Not a great situation, for sure.

-Mac
cerl7011

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilfrosty101 wrote:
I do not support funding of religious schools, and I also do not support keeping the status quo. I rather have no funding of any religious educational institutions, and due to this the green party has my support so far.

Amen! I'm supporting the PC's simply because we are in real need of change in this great province. McGunity screwed us, Hamptons talking about screwing us...it's time we got some real change. Socially liberal and economically conservative...good enough for me!

erl
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ghetoization of immigrant communities.

Never thought of it that way. Providing the funding for these schools is a lot different than the government setting them up themselves. Some of the Christian schools in our area are in the worst rat traps in the city.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Tory did any advance polling on this issue of funding religious schools. I also wonder if some of the backlash is because of the extremism we see on the CBC every week when they do their take on radical Muslim clerics.

Alot of people in our church send their kids to Christian schools. They pay about 200/month per kid. Catholics spend nothing to send their kids to school. Doesn't seem fair.

The solution would be to either do away with the Catholic board or change the Catholic board into a Religion Board and offer similar religious training time to the other faiths but have them all intermingle. That way all schools will be at a certain standard of cleanlyness and operability.

A secular board and a religious board. Sounds like something out of Orwell :lol:
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it PAINS me to admit it, but due to Tory's stance on funding religious schools, I'm voting Liberal..... AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

He's pandering! HE'S PANDERING!!!!!

John "Tory" should be ashamed....... He sounds like Taliban Jack sometimes!!!! Clearly he's with the wrong party.

THANKYOU FOR VOICING THIS. All TRUE Conservative Ontarians should take note of this thread and just vote "anything but" Tory just to make a statement to the PC's:

"IF YOU CONFORM TO LIBERAL TACTICS TO APPEASE MINORITY GROUPS (VOTE GRABBING), YOU WILL LOSE THE SUPPORT OF THE TRUE CONSERVATIVE VOTERS"

Get TORY OUT!!!!!!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this begs the question... why didn't you Ontario conservatives pick a centre-right or even hard right leader? After a full term of McGuinty, I would think you're ready for some right-wing politics.

-Mac
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Everything I've read about Tory makes it amply clear he's a "Progressive" sort of PC. I guess you have to choose the best MLA in your riding, Craig, and hope for the best. Not a great situation, for sure.

-Mac

Fortunately, I left Ontario a few years ago. The choices are much better out here :)
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to tomorow; the campaign chair for my local candidate called me tonight and left a message.... I'll be certain to grill her on his position on the religious schools.

In this election it's going to be all about my local representation and no on MMP. But I'm not looking for a John Tory sweep... Sorry, i'm just not into the religious schools and using american's as political fodder.

The latter being more bothersome than the first to be completely frank.

I was pretty sickened by their first ads... and they haven't gotten a lot better.

Of course this whole Liberal-created "women's health" department REALLY gets me angry. Particularly with the incredible amount of funding already provided for women's health. this complete disregard for men's health yet continuously disproportionate life-expectancy is completely ridiculous.

Why should we be pumping an uneven amount of funding into one gender's health?? in particular when that gender lives longer, and has generally less life-threatening afflictions? Because standing up for men doesn't buy you urban and female votes :?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am torn, I will admit I like some of what Dalton is pitching mainly the "Moving Ontario Forward Together" concept but I need to be moved forward NOW, but he has a record for saying what is needed to get elected and not having the means to follow through.

Religious funding is not an issue that even ranks for me, if Tory can pitch me some targeted tax cuts I will be right there first in line on election day voting for Tim Peterson.

I have a world of respect for a person who crossed the floor "the right way" and he would have got my vote Liberal or PC.

Although a strong platform on other issues will cause me to actually get their early and often, I better get reading.

Last edited by cosmostein on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
torian

Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no!!!!

please do NOT vote for mcguinty!

remember last time..."you will not pay a penny more..."

He will say ANYTHING to get re-elected, and we know how much his word is worth.

As for FB funding, if you look at the info, all that is said is that " Former Premier Bill David would be appointed to lead a Commission to review options and make recommendations about how Ontario’s public school system could become more inclusive of faith-based schools."

If it is not feasible, it might not be done.

As for pandering, given the relatively small number of people using FB schools (something like 53,000) compared to the amount that use Catholic and public schools, I hardly think Tory is doing this for the votes. He may just be doing it on principle. It is NOT fair to fund one faith and not all (this is coming from a non-religious person). And I have trouble with takng away a right once granted (can you imagine at one point in the future taking away SSM because poligamists now want the same right to marry more than one person?

If anyone is pandering it is dalton, because he knows the funding is unfair, but he will not attempt to take away catholic funding because 1. his kids go to a catholic school and his wife teaches at one, and 2. if he does try, that is one huge group that will vote against him.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not voting "for" McGuinty but rather "against" Tory and one of his policies that I feel THAT strongly about that I'd even vote Liberal.

That's extreme but Tory's education policy is THAT BAD!
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torian wrote:

If it is not feasible, it might not be done.

You don't actually believe that, do you?

Quote:
As for pandering, given the relatively small number of people using FB schools (something like 53,000) compared to the amount that use Catholic and public schools, I hardly think Tory is doing this for the votes. He may just be doing it on principle. It is NOT fair to fund one faith and not all (this is coming from a non-religious person). And I have trouble with takng away a right once granted (can you imagine at one point in the future taking away SSM because poligamists now want the same right to marry more than one person?

I don't see Catholic Schools being funded as a right...
There is no right to get the funding, it has just been extended to them previously. The answer is simple; cut all government funding for FBS. Why should the state be paying for any sort of religious education; particularly when religions already receive massive special tax breaks.
CanadianSweetie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the first time I'm hoping Tory pulls a McGuinty and breaks this promise or at least "extends" it to a year like 2030. I do not support funding to all faith-based schools at all (there should be one school system, public) but I don't want to see McGuinty win either because he's screwed us over time and time again. And as for Hampton, well if he ever takes office I'm packing up and moving out of this province. No more debt for me thank-you very much.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 17

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  

Jump to: