Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 3 of 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave wrote
Quote:
They can't have a name that could be confused with another, existing party. Therefore, since "Conservative Party of Alberta" is similar to the "Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta," it likely would not be accepted by the registrar of political parties at Elections Alberta.

Then wrote:

Quote:
There is already an Alberta Party. They've been around a long while; alas, they are a small group, supposedly smaller than both the Wildrose group, and the Alberta Alliance. They're essentially a non-entity in Alberta politics.

How the hell can you have 2 Alberta parties but can't have 2 Conservative Parties.
Give your head a shake.
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Quote:

That would've pretty much assured the PC's continued dominance in Alberta for some time. Now, under Stelmach, things are uncertain.

The PCs need to clean up their membership system. Too many Liberals joined up and voted against Morton.

In fact, IMO, the more I learn about the Alberta PCs the more I'm shocked. They really need to reform their party structure.

Does that include Jim Dinning? :lol:
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
No party has an inherent right to power. Just about the time supporters start thinking that, is about the time they need some agony of defeat.

K I agree you on this. They were getting way too comfortable.
Lets see what Stelmach does with the next year.
Knave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Knave wrote
Quote:
They can't have a name that could be confused with another, existing party. Therefore, since "Conservative Party of Alberta" is similar to the "Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta," it likely would not be accepted by the registrar of political parties at Elections Alberta.

Then wrote:

Quote:
There is already an Alberta Party. They've been around a long while; alas, they are a small group, supposedly smaller than both the Wildrose group, and the Alberta Alliance. They're essentially a non-entity in Alberta politics.

How the hell can you have 2 Alberta parties but can't have 2 Conservative Parties.
Give your head a shake.

I'm simply referring to the rules in place. I don't make them up, I just read them;

Quote:
How do I form a political party in Alberta?

If you wish to register a political party, you must first contact the Chief Electoral Officer, in writing, and request that the party name you have selected is held while you meet the requirements identified in the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act. The Chief Electoral Officer will contact you, in writing, to confirm approval of the name as long as it is appropriate and not easily confused with an existing party or another party name that is being held pending registration. Along with the approval you will receive an information package and specific instructions to assist you in the registration process.

Source; http://www.electionsalberta.ab.ca/faq.html#party
Knave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Quote:
I guess it would take the Liberals getting in power to get the other secondary conservative parties to merge.

I'm crossing my fingers that rather than that, a minority PC government comes in and the shock of minority status makes them tighten up their party and possibly bring Morton in as leader.

The last opportunity for an "earthquake" in Alberta politics was the open possibility of Preston Manning running for the PC Leadership. In that short period between his address to the PC Convention and the announcement that he would in fact not run, I saw genuine excitement and - dare say - hope and interest in the Alberta political scene I had not seen in some time.

I think that the shock of either a PC minority or a Liberal government in Edmonton may cause some of these folks like Preston - and others - who are content to sit on their hands and watch the Alberta provincial political arena actually get involved. I think we may well be surprised by exactly who such an outcome will shake loose.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Jack's Newswatch:

Quote:
With a month to go before the official launch of the fall election campaign in Ontario, John Tory’s Progressive Conservatives have the edge, according to the latest projections by DemocraticSPACE’s ONTARIO 2007 coverage. Readers should use caution when interpreting these early projections, since just five polls have been conducted since April 3 and none since June 30. As the frequency of polls increases and after all candidates have been nominated, the accuracy of the projections will increase. In general, however, we have seen little movement in the POLLS for over a year, with the Liberals and Tories deadlocked in the 37% range, the NDP near 20% and the Greens and other smaller parties garnering around 5-6% collectively.

PC Edge in Seat Projections

Despite the statistical tie, due to the distribution of votes and the winner-take-all nature of our current electoral system, the Tories have the edge (however tenuous) in PROJECTED SEATS. At present (for polls through June 30), DemocraticSPACE is projecting the PCs with 52 seats (a minority government), the Liberals with 44 seats and the NDP with 11 seats (important note: projections are not predictions — they merely reflect the current state of affairs based on the latest polling information. Stay tuned to DemocraticSPACE for the latest UPDATES).

I wonder what Tory's views are on TILMA. Would he join? Or is the rest of Canada left out in the cold because Saskatchewan won't join and goods would have to pass thru Saskatchewan to get from B.C., Alberta to the rest of Canada.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 3 of 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: