Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Mulroney Touts Harper "off to good start" in First Reply with quote

Harper off to great start in 'first term': Mulroney

Updated Wed. Jul. 25 2007 7:38 PM ET

Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- Canada's New Government, as the Stephen Harper Conservatives like to brand themselves, is at the end of its "first term'' after 18 months in office and primed for some new ideas, former prime minister Brian Mulroney said Wednesday.

Mulroney, whose back-to-back majorities in the 1980s made him the most successful Tory prime minister in modern Canadian political history, said Harper is off to an even better start.

But the leader known for his bold initiatives during nine tumultuous years in office acknowledged that his experience proved there's a risk running a government on policy adrenaline.

"When I was there with my 'big idea' government people said, 'he's got too many big ideas. We want him to relax a little bit.' So these things come and go,'' said Mulroney.

"I think Harper is very smart, very effective and I'm sure he and his colleagues are going to come up with some very attractive ideas.''

The national Conservative caucus meets next week in Charlottetown to discuss the fall session of Parliament amid much chatter that the minority government has run out of policies and needs to hit the reset button.

The Globe and Mail reported last week that the Prime Minister's Office is actively soliciting ideas from senior political staff in ministerial offices.

There have been persistent summer rumours of a pending cabinet shuffle, and most observers believe the government will prorogue Parliament in September in order to present a fresh governing agenda in a new speech from the throne.

Mulroney said perspective would suggest the current Conservative government has achieved historic success.

"Judging from Prime Minister Harper's first -- I guess I could call it 'term' in office, in the sense that there appears to be a break coming -- I think he's done exceptionally well,'' Mulroney said, notwithstanding the present Tory minority's public support has stalled at around 30 per cent in opinion polls.

"In fact, I would say that his government is probably off to the best start of any government that I can remember in my lifetime,'' added Mulroney, whose gift for eyebrow-lifting hyperbole is the stuff of Ottawa lore.

Mulroney Plugging his book continued: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti.....b=Politics

Anyways: YAY!

I don`t want people to associate Mulroney and Harper as similar, but his flattering comments are nice to hear.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its as positive an article as I've come to expect, I suppose.

Quote:
"Judging from Prime Minister Harper's first -- I guess I could call it 'term' in office, in the sense that there appears to be a break coming -- I think he's done exceptionally well,'' Mulroney said, notwithstanding the present Tory minority's public support has stalled at around 30 per cent in opinion polls.

"In fact, I would say that his government is probably off to the best start of any government that I can remember in my lifetime,'' added Mulroney, whose gift for eyebrow-lifting hyperbole is the stuff of Ottawa lore.

That's odd. I don't think Mr Mulroney added those qualifiers... but who else could it be? Surely not our balanced, objective little newspaper man !? :roll:
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Its as positive an article as I've come to expect, I suppose.

Quote:

That's odd. I don't think Mr Mulroney added those qualifiers... but who else could it be? Surely not our balanced, objective little newspaper man !? :roll:

I think that is good that Mulroney is paying Harper compliments.
It will help recruit old PC voters back to the CPC. I think there was a very large number of old PC voters who were leary of voting for Harper in the last election, especially in large urban areas.
These types of comments will do nothing but help the CPC in the next election.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they could get Joe Clark to say some nice things too. :lol:

That should help us with the chinless vote.
Sheldon Moore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the guy whom orchestrated the destruction of the conservative voice in Canada for years is a statesman we should all give heed too...not. I personally believe he was no different than any other liberal PM before or since.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware that Kim Campbell was endorsing Harper now; she was the person who destroyed the old PC party. I guess that she does deserve a lot of respect for that though, the old PC party was more Liberal than the Liberal party. One of the many reasons I stopped voting PC.
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I was unaware that Kim Campbell was endorsing Harper now; she was the person who destroyed the old PC party. I guess that she does deserve a lot of respect for that though, the old PC party was more Liberal than the Liberal party. One of the many reasons I stopped voting PC.

I personally believe Kim Campbell was the lamb be layed out to be sacrificed...

They new after Mulroney's plummeting popularity that they were screwed, so they put her in their to put the shock value of a woman Prime Minister to possibly keep the party somewhat alive.

But no, I don't blame the destruction of the PC of Kim.

Although your right the PC was really liberal...abolitionists too.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polling had the PC only 5 or 8 points behind the Liberals when Mulroney passed the reins. A good campaigner may have lost the election, but would not have been reduced to 2 seats. A good campaigner, and not someone who thought an election was no time to be discussing serious issues.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But no, I don't blame the destruction of the PC of Kim.

Her and Preston made a pretty good team. If the PC's had won 70-80 seats in the east and reform won 54(Ithink it was) out west they would have formed a coaltion government and the country would have been better of because of it.

That ad about Chretiens face was worse than the military on the streets ad of the last election. That was Campbells fault for delegating to much authority to others. That's what destroyed the old PC's.

Jump to: