Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How should Ontario proceed with funding religious schools?
Fund ALL religion-based education institutes
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Fund NO religion-based education institutes
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Status Quo
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: How should Ontario proceed with funding religious schools? Reply with quote

John Tory has suggested that if he forms a government, he will look seriously at giving funding to schools for all religions. Currently Catholic schools receive government funds.

The estimated cost... $400 Million.

I'm very against this - so much so that I don't see myself voting PC if this stays the case.

I would prefer that no religion has schools funded by my tax dollars...

Let those who want to study religion pay for it themselves.

That money would be much better spent in the public system, on our ailing health care system, or maybe on ontario cities(two of our biggest are facing serious budget issues - including my own).

Better yet - how bout some tax cuts?

Your thoughts?
CanadianSweetie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it was a big mistake permitting government funding to Catholic schools. I don't understand John Tory's logic, the only reason I see he's doing this is to win votes from all the other religions who are complaining that they should get funding too. There should be one school system and that's public. All people who want to send their children to religious school should pay for it themselves. I understand where they're coming from but I'm againist funding it period. It really needs to be put to a stop before it sucks more of our precious dollars.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see the tax credits for private schools be reintroduced but I'm willing to accept this for the following reasons:

1) As Tory mentioned, the UN ruled that the Ontario system of funding Catholic schools is discriminatory, though I don't think we need the UN to to point out the unfairness of the situation. Tory's proposal will rectify this unfairness (and let's be realistic, the Catholic school board isn't going anywhere anytime soon).

2) it will offer more choice and competition in a system that badly needs it
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with tax incentives...

But I think there should be encouragement of charter schools.

I attended the first in Canada, and I'll tell you; it was a great experience, and a great way to encourage parental involvement in education.
urbanmonk

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe tax incentives are clearly the fair approach.
Speaking of parental involvement in education, homeschool family's should also be included.
DM Schwartz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: One Public School System Reply with quote

There should only be one public school system funded by taxpayers.

Having one public system should make it cheaper for taxpayers in the long as their isn't need for duplicated top management positions. I.e. directors, so many extra superintendents, etc. It also ensures a standard of learning for all students.

Religious institutions that want/have public funding for religious schools should do what many other religions do, preach/teach religious doctrine from within individual churches. (I use the Lutheran church as an example).
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me decide where my taxes should go based upon where I want to send my kids.

If I want to send them to Private school then give me a tax credit,
If I want them to go to Public school send my tax dollars to that board,
If its Catholic or Jewish then so be it,

A monopoly on education is much like a monopoly on everything else, it creates an environment of the status quo.
Ravon

votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

A monopoly on education is much like a monopoly on everything else, it creates an environment of the status quo.

Well there is a bureaucratic nightmare in the making - a system like that could employ thousands. How about no tax payer money for religious schools, not one dime. Religion is the root of most of the evil in this world and the idea that taxpayers have to subsidize it is a huge joke. The catholics in particular should be outlawed, given all the child molestations they have been responsible for. If people want to send their children to religious schools then OK but since they are going to come away with their brains addled should we pay for it - No No No!!
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support John Tory's plan.
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

Shore you can decide if Public school is good for your kids or not
you can decide to spend you money at a private school if you like also it is your money spend it as you please, but don't expect any tax credits for you private spending
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No money for Islamic madrassas (if there are any)
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Religion is the root of most of the evil in this world and the idea that taxpayers have to subsidize it is a huge joke. The catholics in particular should be outlawed, given all the child molestations they have been responsible for. If people want to send their children to religious schools then OK but since they are going to come away with their brains addled should we pay for it - No No No!!

Nearly the entire content of your post is extremely offensive, and I say that as a secular individual. It's fine to disagree... but please try show some respect for other people's belief systems. I'd be very suprised if you aren't banned outright for some what you've just written. As for the only part of your post resembling an argument,

Quote:
Well there is a bureaucratic nightmare in the making - a system like that could employ thousands.

I don't think it would be require that much change. The simplest way to do it would be a voucher system. In Alberta schools, funding follows the student, meaning school boards recieve money per enrolled student. It would be a simple matter to expand this any school that meets certain basic criteria.

Say each student is worth $3000. That pays for a spot at a public school, or might contribute towards tuition at a private school (religious or not) that costs $4500 - leaving the other $1500 up to the parents to provide if they want that option. Parents choosing to home school would recieve the $3000 as well, and put it towards the costs of education their child(ren). It seems pretty fair to me - every parent is paying education tax, why not allow them all the same benefit?
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Say each student is worth $3000. That pays for a spot at a public school, or might contribute towards tuition at a private school (religious or not) that costs $4500 - leaving the other $1500 up to the parents to provide if they want that option. Parents choosing to home school would recieve the $3000 as well, and put it towards the costs of education their child(ren)

Is that how it works in Alberta? I love it!
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravon wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

Well there is a bureaucratic nightmare in the making - a system like that could employ thousands. How about no tax payer money for religious schools, not one dime. Religion is the root of most of the evil in this world and the idea that taxpayers have to subsidize it is a huge joke. The catholics in particular should be outlawed, given all the child molestations they have been responsible for. If people want to send their children to religious schools then OK but since they are going to come away with their brains addled should we pay for it - No No No!!

Please refrain from these kinds of comments; they do nothing to further intelligent debate... one could argue that they end it entirely.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravon wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

You should see the secret plan that all of us that went to Catholic school have in place,
The moment the signal is given we will overrun your "secular" government,

Because your correct all those you partake in any sort of Religion have been brainwashed!

:?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: