Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page Previous  1, 2  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mbennett





Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 105
Reputation: 26.2Reputation: 26.2Reputation: 26.2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerl7011 wrote:

Upwards of 50% of the students in my school have no religious affiliation (besides having all the Catholic stuff done to them before they could object), are atheists or are from different religions and are just attending the school because it is close.

It's time to get rid of the Catholic school boards...I'd say keep em if they instilled a few morals into people...but as my Atheist Religion teacher once told me...

"You can't instil morals into teens when you're trying to instil fear into them as well..."

erl


I whole heartily disagree.
Erl, I also attend a Catholic School and am not Catholic. But I can guarantee you, much more then 50% of my school is Catholic. If it is such a high number why the hell would Catholic Schools even exist!
I would never want to go to a public school.

This was my last year at St. Joseph High School in Saskatoon, but throughout those 4 years, I grew closer to God because of the amazing programs offered at STJ.

I learned more about morality, and world religions in Christian Ethics then I ever would of otherwise. I also learned more about what it means to be a conservative as I debated with myself the issues that would present themselves throughout the class time. I found the Christian Ethics classes at school thought provoking, I loved to debate morality, with my peers and my teachers. I can guarantee you, I probably would not be nearly as advanced in my political beliefs had I attended a public school.

Perhaps my strong support is because of all the deaths that took place throughout my 4 years...

We lost something around 8 school mates throughout our 4 years. 1 of which was a friend of mine. I can't imagine what it would of been like if I was unable to join my teachers, and classmates in prayer after those mornings that we would find out. The power of prayer was astronomical.

Don't instill your beliefs onto me! You don't have to go to a Catholic School if you don't want to, but I WANT TO GO TO ONE! You have the option to leave that school if you hate it so much but donít force the rest of us to come with you just because you disagree with our religion and our beliefs!
cerl7011





Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Posts: 334
Reputation: 26.6Reputation: 26.6Reputation: 26.6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbennett wrote:
You don't have to go to a Catholic School if you don't want to, but I WANT TO GO TO ONE! You have the option to leave that school if you hate it so much but donít force the rest of us to come with you just because you disagree with our religion and our beliefs!


And so you should...you should definatly have the opportunity to go to a Catholic school if you want to...but not on taxpayer's money! You can go to any school you want to. Jewish, Buddhist, Calvinist...but don't expect taxpayer's dollars to fund your choice...

Hmm...the government forcing people to pay for universal religious schooling...sounds a bit socialistic to me...

I do not hate my Catholic school...the exact opposite. I love it...all I'm saying is that my school would be great if it was catholic or not. It's not the presence of a chaplin or one little prayer in the morning that makes my school great. It's the dedication, the teachers, the students, the atmosphere. It's not catholisism that makes STM great. It's the people that make it great. The people give my school it's edge.

If I wanted to go to an atheist school, where Dawkins is read over the announcments and where religion classes always have the undertone that religion is dangerous, then I should be allowed to. But I don't expect the people to furnish my lifestyle. I don't want the people to have to pay for something that they don't believe in.

Just ask yourself this...What if it was reversed? What if there were Atheist schools?...Would you want to pay for them?...

erl
hamiltonguyo





Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 250
Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Government should fund all schools that meet provincial standards and are willing to accept funding.
cosmostein





Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 7436
Reputation: 297.4
votes: 21
Location: The World

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:
The Government should fund all schools that meet provincial standards and are willing to accept funding.


That I have no issue with,
When I have pay my taxes on a municipals level I have the choice of which school board I pay into, and generally speaking its my option to pay into the Catholic Board.

Perhaps that option should be made more broad?
mbennett





Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 105
Reputation: 26.2Reputation: 26.2Reputation: 26.2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerl7011 wrote:
mbennett wrote:
You don't have to go to a Catholic School if you don't want to, but I WANT TO GO TO ONE! You have the option to leave that school if you hate it so much but donít force the rest of us to come with you just because you disagree with our religion and our beliefs!


And so you should...you should definatly have the opportunity to go to a Catholic school if you want to...but not on taxpayer's money! You can go to any school you want to. Jewish, Buddhist, Calvinist...but don't expect taxpayer's dollars to fund your choice...

Hmm...the government forcing people to pay for universal religious schooling...sounds a bit socialistic to me...

I do not hate my Catholic school...the exact opposite. I love it...all I'm saying is that my school would be great if it was catholic or not. It's not the presence of a chaplin or one little prayer in the morning that makes my school great. It's the dedication, the teachers, the students, the atmosphere. It's not catholisism that makes STM great. It's the people that make it great. The people give my school it's edge.

If I wanted to go to an atheist school, where Dawkins is read over the announcments and where religion classes always have the undertone that religion is dangerous, then I should be allowed to. But I don't expect the people to furnish my lifestyle. I don't want the people to have to pay for something that they don't believe in.

Just ask yourself this...What if it was reversed? What if there were Atheist schools?...Would you want to pay for them?...

erl


But Erl all public schools are athiest schools. There is no religon taught at them at all!
The government funds all schools that meet provincial criteria!

And I would gladly have my tax dollers go to a jewish, muslim or any other type of school for that matter.
Catholic education is a huge part of my city, about 40% of the schools are Catholic.
And for me the prayer is what makes my school different and special!
mrsocko





Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Posts: 2463
Reputation: 131.2
votes: 8
Location: Southwestern Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps that option should be made more broad?


Bingo!

Choice in education. If people had that there would be many more religious schools.

I have known a quite a few parents who have put there children into Christian schools. The quality of education is unbelievably good(at leas the ones in our city). They have to go to public high school because of the lack of a Christian High and are the equivalent of 1-2 years more advanced than the other kids. My buddies kid just got a scolarship to MIT. Unbelievable!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Bye Bye Ontario's Catholic School Board...

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB