Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reporters donate money to Dems 9:1 over GOP Reply with quote

Probably similar results here in Canada...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485

And to think that there are still people who think there isn't a liberal bias in the media.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who would be reporting the bias are the ones with the bias, so they don't report it, preferring to maintain that they are objective.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called free speech, whether we like it or not there are no laws against media biasim. It's frustrating, but if we act like the the Liberals we are no better.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As the policy at the Times puts it: "Given the ease of Internet access to public records of campaign contributors, any political giving by a Times staff member would carry a great risk of feeding a false impression that the paper is taking sides."

In other words, if access to information wasn't easy, they wouldn't have this policy.

Hasdrubal, you're right... there is no law against biased journalism. That's why I would like to see a group like the Canadian Association of Journalists converted into a professional certification association so journalists would be required to achieve and maintain certification if they wanted to practice, so to speak.

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would that do to bloggers? My guess is that this organization your propose would go after them.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggers are not journalists, we don't make a profit so I can't see how & why such an association would go after them. Blogging is about ones persons opinion availiable to a fraction of the population, the media makes information availiable to a much broader audience.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of bloggers are not journalists, nor are they interested in becoming journalists. I know a few bloggers fancy themselves to be representatives of the "new media" or the evolution of journalism. I would be remarkably surprised if those bloggers make enough cash from their blogging to reflect a significant portion of their annual income.

Professional associations are generally "self-policing" in that there is a mechanism for non-members to report inappropriate activities and receive meaningful feedback regarding their investigation and enforcement of standards. This is completely outside of the legal process and independent of government regulation. Penalties generally involve suspension and/or revocation of licence to engage in professional practice.

That being said, the CBC has a "code of conduct" and protests to the CBC Ombudsman regarding specific instances of blatant bias have occasionally provoked an expression of regret or retraction but that's the exception, not the rule.

-Mac
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
It's called free speech, whether we like it or not there are no laws against media biasim. It's frustrating, but if we act like the the Liberals we are no better.

FREE speech??? Last time I checked I had to PAY for the CBC. I don't mind people having bias. I mind paying for it.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

FREE speech???

You kind of have a point there, although technically free speech is a right, the CRTC has the right to regulate what is aired & what is not in Canada. So technically when the licence expires for FoxNews the CRTC can say "no, too biasedly Conservative" while for the CBC "yes, da Canadian values, very appopriatly(sp) biasedly Liberal." :wink: It's a cut throat world especially in Liberal land, ultimately everyone is self centred & selfish, so in the end game the only thing that matters is what the government dictates.

Jump to: