Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Direction the CF should be going in? Reply with quote

In terms of organization
Personally I think we should be focusing on increasing the size of our army and giving them the right equipment. Before expanding too much maybe work on getting our 9 reg force battalions up to strength and then slowly build up and switch 3 reserve battalions over to reg force.
I also think we should create a much larger version of DART, something akin to an armed and trained peace corps, then all the hippies on the left that complain Canada doesn’t do enough work to help people will either have to STFU or go to Chad to help refugees from Sudan.
Our Navy might not be the best but the American Navy is so huge that it does not matter.
The air force, I dont really know enough to say what we should be doing here, but it seems to me that the Herc's are so old that we should get new planes, and helicopters.

In terms of missions
I really feel we should send the VanDoos to Haiti, but it will not happen....
1) they speak French
2) its not that Quebec can not take people being killed BUT they really think of our NATO mission as a US mission, therefore (and no one wants to say it but its true) when the VanDoos are in A-Stan they are going to act like Germans behind their caveats OR go out and get killed then Quebec will turn against the CPC
3) it is the poorest country in the western hemisphere
4) Canada has a large number of Haitians
5) Haiti is a situation which needs to be dealt with, they get the 2nd most amount of aid that Canada gives, we should have a decent military presence there.

As well we should be doing something in Sudan even if its just staff officers and aid workers in Chad supporting the mission logistically.
Guelphfirst

Reputation: 44.2Reputation: 44.2Reputation: 44.2Reputation: 44.2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before deciding what to do with our military we need to decide what we need a military for? What roles are we going to be taking in the world? We need a serious, hardcore, white papers on our foreign policy and our defence policy.
IMHO
Canadian sovereignty should be first and formost. Which means icebreakers, subs, ships and aircraft.
Our NATO committment second. Which means special forces and generally more ground troops, plus equipment.
Third should be the UN. Now do we use our troops for peace keeping? or peace making? I have no problem using the Canadian forces for peace making, but we'd better be prepared for the cost in dead.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guelphfirst wrote:

Canadian sovereignty should be first and formost. Which means icebreakers, subs, ships and aircraft.

We can save millions if we just let that dastardly global warming take care of the ice for us :lol:
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian sovereignty also means being able to respond well to the fallout from a natural disaster or a massive terrorist attack. I am not sure how well the reserves are trained (they certainly helped a heck of a lot when Winnipeg almost flooded)
The classic example is a quake in Vancouver but we never know what town or city might be threatened. A greatly expanded DARTish team with many more boots on the ground is not only important for external missions (esp in winning leftist hearts and minds) to disaster areas but in case of potential internal disasters.
If something happened on a big scale we would of course ask and receive American help, I have no problem with this BUT
1) America might be tied up. IE if the West Coast is badly hit by a quake they will have enough on their hands, they needed external help to cope with New Orleans (from my understanding the Canadian contribution actually helped and wasn’t just a token gesture)
2) There is a prestige issue here, I would prefer if American and others assistance was helpful BUT not critical to Canada's response.
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we had a Canadian Contractor who was willing to charter the C-17's to Canada and supply the high north ice breakers for the Navy also under charter. This would free up 4 to 5 billion dollars in the Military Budget right now! I like the idea of investing 4 to 5 billion more into our Navy right here in Canada now! Built by Canadians for Canada !
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Direction the CF should be going in? Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
In terms of organization
Personally I think we should be focusing on increasing the size of our army and giving them the right equipment. Before expanding too much maybe work on getting our 9 reg force battalions up to strength and then slowly build up and switch 3 reserve battalions over to reg force.
I also think we should create a much larger version of DART, something akin to an armed and trained peace corps, then all the hippies on the left that complain Canada doesn’t do enough work to help people will either have to STFU or go to Chad to help refugees from Sudan.
Our Navy might not be the best but the American Navy is so huge that it does not matter.
The air force, I dont really know enough to say what we should be doing here, but it seems to me that the Herc's are so old that we should get new planes, and helicopters.

In terms of missions
I really feel we should send the VanDoos to Haiti, but it will not happen....
1) they speak French
2) its not that Quebec can not take people being killed BUT they really think of our NATO mission as a US mission, therefore (and no one wants to say it but its true) when the VanDoos are in A-Stan they are going to act like Germans behind their caveats OR go out and get killed then Quebec will turn against the CPC
3) it is the poorest country in the western hemisphere
4) Canada has a large number of Haitians
5) Haiti is a situation which needs to be dealt with, they get the 2nd most amount of aid that Canada gives, we should have a decent military presence there.

As well we should be doing something in Sudan even if its just staff officers and aid workers in Chad supporting the mission logistically.

New aircraft you say, mission aircraft I think you are pointing too. Chartered heavy lift aircraft and Ice breakers would allow them to invest that 5 billion into them. Not to mention the other 10 billion a year we have available from the federal budget. If we can spend billions in oil and gas, the auto industry, aircraft industry, then why not the rail car industry, the shipbuilding and shipping industries and their tradition North American Markets why Can we not support these industries like the others. Not to mention that we would be able to build our own ships and our own Navy agian ! If we build modern plants and yards we can compete with anyone anywhere!

Jump to: