Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Civility in blogging Reply with quote

This topic has been bouncing around for some time now, but it's worthy of some serious discussion.

I try to be extremely respectful of my fellow bloggers, even those who are on the other side of the fence. But some(no names needed), refuse to be - on both sides.

How should the blogging community deal with these people? Do we encourage ridiculous, often bordering on hateful speech? Do we ban these people?

Should bloggers have a sort of "unwritten code of ethics"? Do we already?

Personally, I think we do a good job on this side(I don't pay enough attention to the other side, with a few exceptions). Sometimes things go a little over-board, but the BTs seem to be a reasonable group for the most part. I've seen the odd blogger fly off the handle from time to time(on all sides), but I think we're doing a good job for the most part.

I do think that we should encourage civil discussion; but I'll throw the mud when it's been thrown at me as well.

At the end of the day, when you act like an idiot... people will assume you are one. And when that happens, it won't matter if what you're saying is completely correct.

What say you?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand when my opponents purposefully misrepresent my views or the facts themselves in order to advance their argument. I respect people who truly believe in different things than me. But when people know they are wrong and either ignore the facts or misrepresent them it REALLY gets under my skin. Those people don't deserve civility.
Luke-fu

Reputation: 5.9Reputation: 5.9Reputation: 5.9Reputation: 5.9Reputation: 5.9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on your goal as a blogger. If you're trying to promote intelligent debate and an informed electorate, you will be civil and welcome opposing views.

If you are determined to spin your party at all costs, you may still be civil, but highly critical of opposing views, often misrepresenting them as Craig suggested.

However, I find the worst bloggers are the ones who believe the spin of the parties. They have been trained to view opposing viewpoints as evil, and will quickly attacking using the best arguments their limited intellects can devise - usually four letter arguments.

A bloggers code will not help - the offending people will not follow it. I just ignore them and continue onward. People who are smart enough will see through their attempts, and people who are swayed by this approach were not going to listen to a rational argument anyway.
biggie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree luke...

To me it all comes down to credibility. I don't want people reading my words because I'm an &^*hole all the time. I want people reading what I have to say because they are interested in hearing my views.. The truth is a lot more powerful than pointless and unfair attacks
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a radical for free speech........
I think some kind of code of conduct could work. Some fourms warn and ban people alot more....... Still most people here arent trolling even if they have views we might not all agree with.
Alot of this depends on if we are arguing facts (where does Canada import more of their military hardware from? is abortion legal?) or opinions (where should canada get its military hardware from? should abortion be legal?).
Civility is important, attacking the person and not the arguement is what stupid people do. If peoples views are so wrong or stupid you should be able to show it in words not with name calling.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people here are very civil...sure there are some odd rotten apples, but chances are, if you are an avid blogger, then you must be at least somewhat inteligent...and most people who are smart and opinionated don't jump straight to name calling or things like that...except if it's towards Dion, but thats alright...lol

erl
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Written or unwritten, a code of conduct for bloggers is like a firearm registry. Those who are the problem will ignore it so why bother? It serves no purpose whosoever.

-Mac
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mac
if you broke a rule you would get banned
that would be the rule
today it would be very hard 2 be banned.......
but if u broke the rules
BANNED!!!!!!!!
biggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
Well Mac
if you broke a rule you would get banned
that would be the rule
today it would be very hard 2 be banned.......
but if u broke the rules
BANNED!!!!!!!!

How do you ban someone from blogging?
potentially from a blog roll maybe... but they'll just make their own..
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
BANNED!!!!!!!!

So? What's to stop someone from rejoining under a different user name?

-Mac

Jump to: