Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Anglosphere speaks out in a symbolic show of support But when they originally saw what was happening in Vancouver, they were universally grabbed th the urge to bury their faces in their hands ... and utter ... How could they be that stupid. But they can ... and are. TC has the same excuse.

Prosecuting the Chinese Huawei executive is an idiotic way to hold China in check
Even if the telecom company poses a national security threat, this is not the way to fight it.
By Zachary Karabell

Zachary Karabell is the author of several books, including “The Leading Indicators: A Short History of the Numbers That Rule Our World.”
December 8, 2018

The U.S.-China relationship seemed to improve last week at the G-20 summit in Argentina, where President Trump announced he had reached an important agreement with President Xi Jinping. Then, an ominous development: American authorities asked Canada to arrest the chief financial officer of one of China’s largest technologies companies for alleged sanctions fraud and violations of U.S. export controls. Meng Wanzhou isn’t just a top leader at Huawei, which makes phones and other gadgets; she is also the daughter of the company’s founder and chairman, which makes her arrest somewhat like the Chinese arresting the daughter of Steve Jobs if she had helped run Apple. It would be an understatement to say that Beijing did not react well: It demanded her release and accused the U.S. government of violating the rights of a Chinese citizen.

The timing could hardly be worse, and from what can be told, it reflects the overall chaos of the Trump administration. National security adviser John Bolton claimed he was informed of the pending arrest by the Justice Department but did not pass that information to the president. That no one in the White House considered the implications of her arrest on the tenuous trade truce between China and the United States is itself rather astonishing.

The case against Huawei and its executives may be legitimate under U.S. law, but it is nonetheless a hideous political mistake. Perhaps Huawei used American-made components in equipment it sold to Iran, violating U.S. sanctions. But even in less ambiguous cases, there is always such a thing as prosecutorial discretion. Not every case that can be brought should be brought, and not every case should be prosecuted to the full letter of the law. In international cases, that is doubly true. [....]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/12/08/prosecuting-chinese-huawei-executive-is-an-idiotic-way-hold-china-check/?utm_term=.f09340ded2f9
=================================================

I think "idiotic: is the right word, don't you? And of course it is even more idiotic to allow an idiotic allegation made by foreighners to threaten Canadians who risk being held as reciprocal hostages, to be used in payment of whatever ransom Canada demands.
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that article.

You do realize it posits what I said looong ago about this? No? Well thats no surprise.

See, it was dumb of the USA to make the request. Your article agrees.

Considering our tenuous relationship with the orange idiot (who didnt even know the extradition request was made) it was thought best to agree as per the rules in place. So we did.

"The timing could hardly be worse, and from what can be told, it reflects the overall chaos of the Trump administration. "

All very true. The powers that be who decided this didnt think it all the way through. That of course is not our job, and as such we cannot make the case for stupidity since that's what prevails south of the border. We can merely look at the case , decide if it is legal as per the parameters of the agreement and then do what has to be done.

Glad to see you are learning.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sort of ... wouldn't you say that the author acknowledges that that's how the squares look at it ... except Canada has jammed up on extraditing truly horrible people because the US has capital punishment. And Canada doesn't have to extradite anyone if what they did was not a crime in Canada. Was whatever it is alleged Meng did a crime in Canada?

What was it -- being an officer of her daddy's company, a Chinese Belinda Stronach? Or was it that the company traded with Iran? Is that a crime in Canada?

That's why we have judges ruling on these cases. With the glacial pace of Canadian so-called justice, justice is never done, justice delayed being what it is ...

What should have happened is that she should have been given bail on her own recognizance, and allowed to leave the country. It's not complicated. That's what sophisticated second-level powers would do. Trudeau has taken us out of that group.

You blame the US for making an idiotic request. I don't disagree, in fact I think it wants to extend US law extra-territorially and that's not a good thing. But how much worse is it to be the henchman executing the idiotic order?

Arresting her and putting her through the mill of US justice is not something that is in the best interest of the USA anyway. It's an embarrassing and complicating problem for Trump et. al. It could easily have been done by underlings in the Deep State to screw up the negotiations

It's enough that Chinese executives fear foreign travel in the West for American purposes.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Well, sort of ... wouldn't you say that the author acknowledges that that's how the squares look at it ...
Sorry...I am not sure what you mean here.

Quote:
..except Canada has jammed up on extraditing truly horrible people because the US has capital punishment. And Canada doesn't have to extradite anyone if what they did was not a crime in Canada. Was whatever it is alleged Meng did a crime in Canada?

Fraud is a crime in almost any country.
Quote:

What was it -- being an officer of her daddy's company, a Chinese Belinda Stronach? Or was it that the company traded with Iran? Is that a crime in Canada?

She is a very high level exec in her dads company. If she were like Belinda she would be in court fighting Frank.

If there are sanctions, then yes , it is a crime.

But I suspect that the arrest was predicated on the fraud aspect, which we know is a crime in both of our countries.

Quote:

What should have happened is that she should have been given bail on her own recognizance, and allowed to leave the country. It's not complicated. That's what sophisticated second-level powers would do. Trudeau has taken us out of that group.

Well...she ponied up the millions to the court without being asked. So she jumped the gun. If she wanted to pledge her money to get out on bail, so be it.
The Yanks determined she was a flight risk and as such she had to have her Passport taken. Well....one of the many she has. That too is illegal, for a chinese person.

Trudeau had nothing to do with the bail et al.
Quote:

You blame the US for making an idiotic request. I don't disagree, in fact I think it wants to extend US law extra-territorially and that's not a good thing. But how much worse is it to be the henchman executing the idiotic order?

Done right, as this was, it is easy to do but fraught w political repercussions. The US is not extending any law outside their borders with this move. None.
Quote:

Arresting her and putting her through the mill of US justice is not something that is in the best interest of the USA anyway.

Agredd, and perhaps they should have thought about that for a spell instead of calling us.
Quote:

It's enough that Chinese executives fear foreign travel in the West for American purposes.

I doubt many worry about it unless and of course they are involved with fraud and the like.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a fraud take place?

How do you define fraud and why does one take the allegations as sufficient to extradite?

How does a Chinese executive making deals with Irans constitute a crime punishabble in the USA? These are the questions you don't address. You talk as if a treaty obligation creates an obligation to join in what is, after all, an illegal extension of American courts.

I know this is a difficult concept for you to comprehend. There are so many "iffy"aspects to this that somebody should have run up a red flag. In fact, it seems contrived. I never expect to convince you anyway because -- you know -- prior loyalties.

But don't worry, it isn't a problem likely to affect you and your cubicle world.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Did a fraud take place?

How do you define fraud and why does one take the allegations as sufficient to extradite?

According to the US it took place.

How? You lie on official forms and make certified statements that turn out not to be true.

As she did.
Quote:

How does a Chinese executive making deals with Irans constitute a crime punishabble in the USA? These are the questions you don't address. You talk as if a treaty obligation creates an obligation to join in what is, after all, an illegal extension of American courts.

No. The simple answer is you dont read and retain.

I addressed this numerous times.

Huawei operates in the US. They use some parts/pieces that are american. Therefor they must abide my sanctions .

Ergo...charges.
Quote:

I know this is a difficult concept for you to comprehend.

Now there is a fatuous statement if I ever heard one.

My dear, it is you that keeps flopping around not knowing how this works, not me.

Should you wish, I could show you many times this is true.
Quote:

There are so many "iffy"aspects to this that somebody should have run up a red flag. In fact, it seems contrived. I never expect to convince you anyway because -- you know -- prior loyalties.

Iffy...perhaps, however that is why there may/will be a trial. To prove the case.

You needn't worry about me, I have a grasp of the subject that you readily admit by your postings that you do not possess the knowledge of how it works.
Quote:

But don't worry, it isn't a problem likely to affect you and your cubicle world.

LOL! SOS I see.

You DO know what SOS means......right?
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Harper says ‘a smart Canadian PM’ finds a way to get along with Trump
By Rahul Kalvapalle
National Online Journalist Global News

Former prime minister Stephen Harper says Canadian leaders have to find a way to get along with U.S. President Donald Trump because of Canada’s “overwhelming” dependence on the U.S. as an economic and geopolitical partner.

Harper made his remarks during a panel session with former British prime minister Tony Blair at the Raisina Dialogue, a geopolitical summit held in New Delhi and sponsored by the Indian government, on Tuesday.

“Every year, I would go to New York on business and [Trump] was on a list of people that asked to meet me but we never actually met,” Harper said when asked about his impressions of Trump. “But I know many of the people around him, I think I’ve got a pretty good picture.”

Without mentioning Prime Minister Justin Trudeau by name, Harper said he believes it’s important that “a smart Canadian prime minister” gets a few things right when dealing with the American president.

“First of all, he establishes — to the best of his ability — a good personal relationship with the president of the United States, regardless of that president’s personality or political party,” said Harper.

“Secondly, a smart prime minister of Canada — because we can often be off the radar in Washington — goes out of his way to show when we are onside with the United States how we can be a useful partner in furthering the United States’ global role because that’s ultimately in our interests.

“If you do those two things correctly, that is the basis on which you can then respectfully disagree when you need to.” [....]
https://globalnews.ca/news/4831917/stephen-harper-trudeau-trump/

You never address anything. The problem is we have a Liberal Party leadership -- including the egregious Crystia Freeland -- that actively campaigned against Trump in his face ... which would qualify as being "not smart" on a grand scale.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that has what to do with the Huawei arrest ?

Nothing?

Oh ok. I suppose Harper is trying to be relevant again ?

Geebus, a failed mail room clerk (his only private sector job before being PM too !) trying to get his name in the paper.

Oh well.
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Sentenced To Death In China For Drug Smuggling
by Tyler Durden
Mon, 01/14/2019 - 08:02

As was widely expected after a Chinese court ordered a retrial of Canadian national Robert Schellenberg on drug trafficking charges last month, the Canadian national has now been sentenced to death for allegedly smuggling "an enormous amount of drugs" into China. He had earlier been sentenced to 15 years.

Quote:
Wei Du 杜唯
@WeiDuCNA
Breaking- Chinese state media: Canadian Robert Schellenberg sentenced to dead for drug smuggling after Chinese prosecutors appealed his 15-year original sentence.

7:42 AM - Jan 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
38 people are talking about this

The harsh sentence, like the arrests of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor on vague charges of threatening national security (an investigation is reportedly ongoing, according to Chinese officials), is widely suspected to be retaliation for the arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou (who is also the daughter of the conglomerate's founder).

Few details about Schellenberg's case have been shared with the media, other than the fact that he was arrested in 2014, long before the Huawei dispute erupted. Canadian diplomats had reportedly been working with the Chinese government on the case. The retrial was ordered after Chinese prosecutors argued that Schellenberg's sentence was too lenient.

In a report published late last week, Canada's Globe and Mail carried remarks from Schellenberg's family, who said they feared his life was being used as a bargaining chip in the international dispute.

Quote:
"There’s no way they are not using him as a pawn," said Lauri Nelson-Jones, Mr. Schellenberg’s aunt, in an interview.

"And it’s just harsh. That’s someone’s kid. That’s someone’s brother and nephew. And to just say, ‘we’re going to think about ending his life now over this’ – it’s not warranted. It’s not deserved. It’s heartbreaking."

A legal scholar and expert in Chinese law said Schellenberg's case was "almost certainly being manipulated.

The case against Mr. Schellenberg "is almost certainly being politically manipulated," he said, although “in a much more subtle legalistic way than the other cases. It will bring more pressure on Canada but because it has been going on for a while, the Chinese have a more plausible legalistic defence."

They pointed out that Schellenberg's trial and sentencing took four years, but his retrial and second sentencing took just two weeks.

We imagine we'll be hearing more from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about the importance of respecting the "rule of law" as Canada struggles - probably unsuccessfully - to secure Schellenberg's return
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-14/china-imposes-death-penalty-canadian-convicted-drug-smuggling

Now Justin has blood on his hands. I was thinking -- the Chinese will charge his family for the bullet they use to kill him, and sell his body for parts used in transplants. Justin likes to be a hero (using public money) ... perhaps he can save the family from the bill for the bullet by making it tax-deductible.

Or maybe buy the body parts so they can all be buried together.

That would be good.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The founder of Chinese tech giant Huawei is thanking Canada's justice system for the kind treatment of his daughter, the company's chief financial officer arrested last month in Vancouver on a U.S. warrant.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/huawei-founder-says-daughter-will-be-vindicated/ar-BBSkzxb?li=AAqARMz

Well good for him. Glad to see that he sees his daughters arrest conditions not to be too much a burden on her.
House arrest in a $6m house isnt the worst I guess.

Now if only the party rulers could be so civil.
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl just can't help herself ... in posturing for us local yokels, she offends the people who count in this dispute. It's not that she's a woman -- it's that's she's a remarkably incompetent woman.

China hits back at Freeland’s criticism of detention of Canadians
By The Canadian Press — Jan 17 2019

BEIJING — China rebuffed the latest broadside from Canada over its detention of Canadian citizens, rejecting the assertion that China's behaviour poses a threat to all nations.

Instead, foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Thursday that people from China could themselves be at risk following Canada's detention of a Chinese telecom executive for "no reason."

"What threat has China posed to Canada?" Chunying said when asked by journalists about the duelling allegations. "I think your foreign minister may be in a hurry, and can't help speaking without thinking."

The remark was triggered by Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland's comment Wednesday that "the arbitrary detentions of Canadians ... represent a way of behaving which is a threat to all countries."

China detained two Canadians in what Western analysts see as an attempt to pressure Canada to release Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, who was arrested in Vancouver at the request of the U.S.

Meng's arrest while she was transiting the city's airport on Dec. 1 created a diplomatic rift that has continued to grow. Meng is the chief financial officer of the Chinese telecom giant and the daughter of its founder. She is wanted by the U.S. in relation to an investigation into Iran sanctions violations.

China then sentenced another Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to death on Monday in a sudden retrial of his drug-smuggling case. He was originally sentenced in 2016 to a 15-year term, but the court delivered the new sentence after reconsidering his case.

The ruling appears to have fuelled a daily sparring match between the two countries.

"It is understandable that Canada is a little worried, but we hope it will avoid speaking freely without thinking because its reputation and image would be badly damaged by such behaviours," Hua said Thursday. "And such remarks cannot help settle the issue, either."

The U.S. State Department weighed in on the matter Wednesday, calling Schellenberg's death sentence "politically motivated."

A statement from deputy spokesman Robert Palladino said U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Freeland spoke Tuesday and "expressed their concerns about the arbitrary detentions and politically motivated sentencing of Canadian nationals."

Canada has embarked on a campaign with allies to win the release of ex-diplomat Michael Kovrig and entrepreneur Michael Spavor, who were detained 10 days after Meng's arrest. They were arrested on vague allegations of "engaging in activities that endanger the national security" of China.

Freeland has asked for clemency for Schellenberg and has called his sentence "inhumane."

Diplomatic relations between Ottawa and Beijing have quickly deteriorated since Meng's arrest, to the point some fear they could damage Canada's business relationship with its second-largest trading partner.

John McCallum, Canada's ambassador to China, said the government has done a "great job" getting allies to rally in support of Canada's position. But he added: "I really think that's just the beginning."
https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2019/01/17/china-hits-back-at-freelands-criticism-of-detention-of-canadians-2/#.XECtf1xKjIV

Why is Canada using its good will to mobilize opinion for Canada's error in judgement -- if "judgement" is a word that you can use in evaluating the Trudeau gang?

The guy is a bad drug dealer. He should be executed, as far as I am concerned, and Canada charged for the bullet. Or turned over to the Australians, to whom he was selling crystal meth in quarter ton lots. Almost certainly he's a part of organized crime.

When "stupidity" gets outraged over its failures ... what can you do but pray for October?
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They give us no choice. If you don't stand up to the bullies, it will just keep happening. But, hey, that's just me.
================================================

China threatens reprisals if Canada bans Huawei from its 5G networks
ROBERT FIFE OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF
STEVEN CHASE
BILL CURRY
OTTAWA, SHERBROOKE, QUE
PUBLISHED JANUARY 17, 2019
UPDATED 46 MINUTES AGO

China will retaliate if Ottawa bans Huawei Technologies from supplying gear for its next-generation 5G mobile networks over espionage concerns, the country’s envoy said on Thursday, as he called the arrest of a company executive a “backstabbing" betrayal of Canada’s relationship with China.

At a news conference at China’s embassy in Ottawa, ambassador Lu Shaye also warned Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland against trying to rally international support at next week’s World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, for three Canadian detainees in China.

The United States is pressing its allies, including Canada, to ban the giant Chinese smartphone and telecommunications equipment maker from the infrastructure of future wireless networks – the Trudeau cabinet is awaiting the conclusion of a national security review before deciding.

Germany says it is also considering whether to exclude Huawei from its 5G networks, a U-turn for Berlin, which had been skeptical of U.S. cybersecurity concerns about the Chinese telecom.

Mr. Lu warned Canadians would suffer consequences if this country also shut the door to the largest private company in China.

“I hope Canadian officials and relevant authorities and bodies will make a wise decision on this issue. But if the Canadian government does ban Huawei from participating in the 5G networks … I believe there will be repercussions,” Mr. Lu said.

He would not elaborate on what kind of repercussions Canada might expect, but Beijing arrested two Canadians on national security grounds and imposed a death sentence on a third for drug smuggling in what appears to be retaliation for the Dec. 1 arrest of Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver.

As the Western clampdown on Huawei grows, the University of Oxford announced on Thursday it has stopped accepting funding from the Shenzhen-based company amid scrutiny of its relationship with China’s government.

Huawei also has a presence in Canadian universities, but Ottawa has not limited that.

An investigation by The Globe and Mail last year revealed Huawei has a vast network of relationships with leading research-heavy universities in Canada to create intellectual property the company is using to buttress its market position in 5G technology.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-china-threatens-reprisals-if-canada-bans-huawei-from-its-5g-networks/

Maybe we should send Crystia over there to hector them on the abominable way they treat their women. After all, how many women are there on the Central Committee?

We have to strike back somehow, and that seems to be our most devastating weapon -- a royal pain-in-the-ass..
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany Reportedly Exploring Ban On Huawei Products
by Tyler Durden
Fri, 01/18/2019 - 04:55

With the US launching a federal investigation into Huawei over alleged theft of intellectual property from US carrier T-Mobile, and US lawmakers once again weighing a ban on sales of US-made microchips to ZTE and Huawei over suspicions that both companies violated US sanctions on Iran, the US's campaign to shut Huawei out of Western markets took yet another step forward on Thursday when the Wall Street Journal reported that Germany is considering a ban of Huawei products in the country's 5G networks.

The effort, reported by WSJ and German newspaper Handelsblatt, is focusing on indirectly banning Huawei from telecom networks' "core networks" - the essential functionality of a mobile network. And while the effort is focused on 5G, it could also apply to 3G and 4G networks.

The German official said raising security requirements would be the only legal way to de facto exclude Huawei from all crucial tenders in Germany as the country has no other legislation that would justify an outright ban.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-17/germany-reportedly-exploring-ban-huawei-products
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China threatens reprisals if Canada bans Huawei from its 5G networks

Go ahead China.

You do know Aus, UK, NZ and the USA have already said no.

LOL!.
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Chinese know that Canada's leadership is feckless and incompetent.

Justin should threaten to send the Kitchen Witch to bore them to tears in revenge.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  

Jump to: