Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Liberal mp Nicola Di Iorio leaving politics Reply with quote

( a liberal mp from Montreal is leaving politics and may trigger a by election , although a very safe liberal riding )

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio quitting politics

By Canadian Press. Published on Apr 25, 2018 1:20pm

OTTAWA — Popular Quebec Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio says he is leaving politics for family reasons.

Di Iorio, who broke the news following today’s caucus meeting, was first elected to the House of Commons in 2015 to represent the Montreal riding of Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel.

He says he has yet to establish a departure date.

A lawyer before entering the Commons, Di Iorio taught law and specialized in labour and employment law.

He says he plans to continue working on issues that resonate with him, including the ongoing social impact of technological advances.

Di Iorio won his seat with a landslide victory, claiming nearly 65 per cent of the vote.

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/04/25/liberal-mp-nicola-di-iorio-quitting-politics-cites-family-reasons/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montreal MP Nicola Di Iorio announces resignation

Nicola Di Iorio

CTV Montreal
Published Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:54PM EDT

Rookie MP Nicola Di Iorio has announced he will be stepping down.

The Member of Parliament was first elected in 2015 in the riding of St. Leonard St. Michel.

He has been a strong advocate for cracking down on impaired driving ever since his daughter Claudia was nearly killed in a car crash.

Di Iorio said he is leaving politics for family reasons. He has not said precisely when he will leave Ottawa.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-mp-nicola-di-iorio-announces-resignation-1.3901693
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio resigns, citing family reasons

Di Iorio expects to leave caucus by this summer

Marc-André Cossette · CBC News · Posted: Apr 25, 2018 1:54 PM ET | Last Updated: 20 minutes ago

Nicola Di Iorio, Liberal MP for the Montreal-area riding of Saint-Léonard—Saint Michel, announced his resignation from politics on April 25, 2018, citing family reasons. (CBC )

5 comments

Nicola Di Iorio, Liberal MP for Saint-Léonard—Saint Michel, announced Wednesday he is leaving political life, citing family reasons.

Di Iorio, who has represented the Montreal-area riding since the last federal election in October 2015, informed reporters of his departure following Wednesday's caucus meeting.

"My loved ones matter to me," he said. "Their well-being is of utmost importance to me, and I've been away three years, and I do have to consider also their needs and their well-being."

Di Iorio has not yet set a departure date, but expects to leave by this summer.

Di Iorio won his seat in 2015 with just under 65 per cent of the vote. His riding has been held by the Liberals since it was created.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Di Iorio said he has achieved the goals he set for himself when he decided to enter federal politics three years ago, citing his work to prevent impaired driving and a federal commitment earlier this year to extend the Montreal Metro's Blue line.

Harassment allegations

Last year, Opposition MPs called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to "step up" and discipline Di Iorio when he was accused of making a sexist remark about a Conservative MP while attending a House of Commons committee.

Di Iorio later publicly apologized in the House of Commons.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politic.....-1.4634648
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it may not seem it;
This is a riding that is more Conservative than it appears.

Massimo Pacetti was one of the more Conservative Liberals in their caucus and the Liberals have always been good about selecting electable candidates.

There are no shortage of folks who could run for the CPC here.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
While it may not seem it;
This is a riding that is more Conservative than it appears.

Massimo Pacetti was one of the more Conservative Liberals in their caucus and the Liberals have always been good about selecting electable candidates.

There are no shortage of folks who could run for the CPC here.

as it sounds like his resignation may be imminent or by summer it appears it will trigger a by election which must be called , even though the winner will only be mp for less than a year before 2019 election

but skeptical it turn into a serious cpc prospect , they'll have no trouble finding a candidate for the riding but only been getting 10%-15% in recent elections , that is a long way off what is needed to win a riding

also doesn't appear to be a riding that have any potential for Singh , an Italian Canadian riding in Montreal , would not appear to be the place for Singh to run and only year the ndp did well was 2011 which might of been a fluke
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am equally skeptical;
However I am just stating that with the right candidate we could secure a better outcome;

Saint-Léonard—Saint-Michel isn't a typical Montreal riding.

If there was a Montreal riding the CPC had a chance, this should be among them.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I am equally skeptical;
However I am just stating that with the right candidate we could secure a better outcome;

Saint-Léonard—Saint-Michel isn't a typical Montreal riding.

If there was a Montreal riding the CPC had a chance, this should be among them.

it would seem that the seats which have come open this parliament and had by elections have been very favourable to the liberals ( with the exception of the 5 by elections the cpc won in alberta/sask ) and possibly Chicoutimi whenever its actually called

if you look thru the list , some of the most liberal ridings in the country like Ottawa Vanier , Saint Laurent , Scarborough Agincourt , a safe Newfoundland riding , plus 2 vulnerable cpc ridings they only won in 2015 cause they had high profile well liked candidates running in them

and now possibly Outremont and Saint Leonard Saint Michel in Montreal both of which have been very good to the liberals historically and the sense is the ndp only won Outremont cause of Mulcair himself

isn't much reason for Scheer to be excited about the possibility of 2 by elections in Montreal this fall , in seats the cpc has never really targeted or done well in , but the cpc did well in Scarborough Agincourt so its possible they do better than expected in this riding as well
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(news of a possible liberal candidate although would seem like an odd choice in a riding known for having a large Italian population and traditionally had mp's of that origin )

Imam could run for federal Liberals in Montreal byelection

Imam who brought listeners to tears with eulogy for victims of Quebec City mosque massacre could enter politics.

Presse Canadienne
Updated: June 3, 2018

A Quebec imam who touched hearts across the country and around the world with his homily on the 2017 massacre in a Quebec City mosque is considering running in an upcoming byelection for the Liberal Party of Canada.

Hassan Guillet, the spokesman for the Quebec Council of Imams, said he is considering seeking the federal Liberal nomination in Saint-Léonard–Saint-Michel.

A byelection to replace Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio, who announced his resignation in April, could be announced in the near future. Di Iorio is still sitting as MP.

Guillet acknowledged to La Presse that he had been approached by the federal Liberals, but said his mind was not yet 100-per-cent made up. However, he said he had announced to Muslims in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, 45 kilometres southeast of Montreal, where he preaches, that his sermon Friday “could be the last one for some time.”

Guillet said he respected the Liberal Party of Canada for its “openness, multiculturalism and respect for others.”

In his eulogy for three of the six victims gunned down on Jan. 29, 2017, in the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec City, Guillet brought listeners to tears when he said that killer Alexandre Bissonnette was himself a victim of hatred. “Before he planted bullets in the heads of his victims, somebody planted ideas more dangerous than the bullets in his head,” Guillet said in his extemporaneous speech.

His words were acclaimed around the world, including by J. K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, on Twitter.

http://montrealgazette.com/new.....byelection
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there is a mystery in Ottawa , this liberal mp said he was retiring but then never actually left or resigned his seat . now he hasn't been seen in Ottawa in weeks )

'Missing' Liberal MP Di Iorio at the centre of nomination fight

Quebec MP has not been seen on Parliament Hill for weeks

Katie Simpson, Philippe-Vincent Foisy · CBC News · Posted: Nov 01, 2018 4:05 PM ET | Last Updated: November 1

Sources tell CBC News Nicola Di Iorio changed his mind about resigning as an MP, after he was told he could not pick his successor to run as a liberal in his Montreal area riding. (CBC )

111 comments

By now, Nicola Di Iorio was supposed to be far from public life.
The rookie Liberal MP announced in April he was resigning his Quebec seat, citing "family reasons." But an internal dispute within the Liberal Party appears to be keeping his political future in flux.

Sources tell CBC News and Radio-Canada that while Di Iorio had planned to leave office this summer, he wanted to hand-pick the successor who would run as the Liberal candidate in his Montreal-area riding.

Three sources speaking on background say that when the party told Di Iorio he could not make that decision, and that there would be an open nomination process instead, he changed his mind about resigning.

Despite multiple phone calls, e-mails, a text message and a reporter showing up at his constituency office and the law firm where he works as a labour lawyer, Di Iorio could not be reached for comment.

Di Iorio cited other reasons for his change of heart in a Facebook post to his followers in late September.

"My commitment to my community and my fellow citizens is part of my life and will always be essential for me," Di Iorio wrote, adding he is "open-minded,"

"I chose to give myself a month of reflection and consultation with my family and our Prime Minister to have the necessary perspective to make the best decision for my community and my fellow citizens."

More than a month after that post, no one seems to know what Di Iorio will do next.

"Nicola Di Iorio is still an MP, and as far as I know he is still in reflection on his future," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in response to a reporter's question during a news conference in Churchill, Manitoba today.

An official from the Prime Minister's Office said that Di Iorio is also still a member of the Liberal caucus.

Di Iorio has been the source of much speculation since The Canadian Press reported he had not been seen on Parliament Hill since the House returned in mid-September.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/what-happened-to-nicola-di-iorio-1.4887959
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio's absence from Parliament puzzles colleagues

Montreal MP has said he is quitting politics, then took more time to decide

The Canadian Press · Posted: Oct 31, 2018 6:24 PM ET | Last Updated: October 31

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio, who has been coy about his political future, has been absent from the House of Commons. (CBC )

Several Liberal MPs say they are unable to explain the prolonged absence of their colleague Nicola Di Iorio, who hasn't been seen on Parliament Hill since the House resumed sitting Sept. 17.

The Montreal-area MP said in late September that he was mulling over his political future but has yet to confirm a departure.

Questioned Wednesday in Ottawa, several of Di Iorio's fellow Liberal MPs professed to be in the dark about his intentions.

"I haven't seen him … and I have no idea what's going on with Mr. Di Iorio," Montreal-area MP Michel Picard said.

A similar message came from Diane Lebouthillier, who said, "I haven't seen him either, so I can't give you any more information."

Montreal MP Emmanuel Dubourg said Di Iorio's absence had been noted, but "I don't know his exact position, what he plans to do."

Ontario MP John McKay expressed confusion. "I thought he quit," he said.

While Di Iorio has been absent from Parliament, he hasn't gone entirely missing from the public eye.

'Between Mr. Di Iorio and his constituents'

Last Friday, he appeared at a cannabis trade show in Montreal, where he made a presentation in his capacity as a labour and employment lawyer.

MPs questioned on Parliament Hill Wednesday appeared reluctant to discuss the subject of a colleague working a second job.

"That's between Mr. Di Iorio and his constituents," said David McGuinty as he walked past waiting journalists.

McKay acknowledged that "from an image standpoint, it certainly doesn't look good."

There are no rules preventing an MP from moonlighting.

Similarly, MPs are not technically required to show up in Ottawa to keep their seats, although many say it's part of the job.

"Personally, as a member of Parliament, it's important to be here in the House," said Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould.

"As an MP, you have responsibilities [to] your community to make sure to be here. That's why the House of Commons has rules to ensure MPs come."

In 2017, the base annual salary for an MP was increased to $172,700. According to parliamentary rules, an MP who is absent from the House can be docked $120 of salary per day for each absence over 21 days.

Exceptions apply in cases of sickness, military service or official engagements. It's unclear whether Di Iorio has been penalized.

Di Iorio has sent mixed messages about his political future.

First elected in 2015 to represent the Montreal riding of Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel, he announced last April he was leaving politics for family reasons.

He later told a weekly newspaper he would stay on until the end of his mandate in 2019, before writing on his Facebook page in late September that he was giving himself another month to reflect on his future.

In a brief phone interview last week, he maintained that he has never stopped serving his constituents.

Liberal whip Mark Holland said last week that Di Iorio would explain himself in a statement in "a few days' time."

On Wednesday, Holland's office said they had nothing new to add.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nicola-di-iorio-absence-parliament-1.4886732
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( his statement does not exactly clear up the situation , we clearly have an mp not in the house of commons but still collecting pay for being an mp and already having a new job )

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio says he has ‘responsibilities’ that justify absence from House of Commons

Daniel Leblanc Parliamentary affairs reporter

Published November 2, 2018

Updated 43 minutes ago

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio, who recently went back on his promise to quit his seat this fall, is now stating that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has given him an unspecified responsibility that requires him to stay out of the House of Commons.

Since the start of the fall sitting of Parliament, Mr. Di Iorio has not appeared in the House to vote or attend Question Period.

In a statement on Facebook on Friday, Mr. Di Iorio said: “The Prime Minister has given me responsibilities that, for now, require, justify and authorize my absence from the House.”

In a follow-up question by e-mail from The Globe and Mail, Mr. Di Iorio said he will answer questions on his political future at a later date.

The Prime Minister’s Office said it expects Mr. Di Iorio to announce his intentions regarding his political future in the “coming days.”

“After Mr. Di Iorio announced his retirement for personal and family reasons in the spring, it was agreed that he would stay to ensure a transition in his riding and work on specific issues linked to his interests and his expertise,” said PMO spokeswoman Chantal Gagnon.

In her written statement, Ms. Gagnon did not speak to Mr. Di Iorio’s assertion that these duties prevented him from sitting in the House.

In April, the MP for Saint-Léonard-Saint-Michel stunned many of his colleagues by announcing that he would be retiring from politics for personal reasons. He even had a farewell speech in the House.

He returned to a legal career and took on a position as a partner at Montreal firm BCF Business Law.

However, Mr. Di Iorio never formally resigned his seat. After Mr. Di Iorio signalled his desire to continue serving as an MP, Liberal Whip Mark Holland said they had not spoken about the matter.

“He is stepping back from political life and we have heard nothing else,” Mr. Holland said in September. “We wish him the best in his future endeavours.”

BCF’s chairman of the board, André Morrissette, told The Globe and Mail at the time that he hired Mr. Di Iorio on the basis that he would be retiring as an MP.

“It was our understanding that he would be quitting politics,” Mr. Morrissette said in an interview.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-liberal-mp-says-he-has-responsibilities-that-justify-absence-from/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal MP Di Iorio says he's resigning in the New Year

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Tuesday, November 6, 2018 2:16PM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, November 6, 2018 2:46PM EST

OTTAWA – After questions over his political future following a prolonged absence from Parliament, Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio has announced he intends to resign his seat in the House of Commons, effective in January 2019.

In a lengthy message posted to his Facebook page, Di Iorio said in order to wrap up current projects in his riding—which he’s previously said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau approved—he will continue his work as an MP until Jan. 22, 2019 when his resignation will be effective.

Di Iorio said that in the meantime, he will continue to serve his constituents, exercise all functions as an MP, and be present when the Liberal caucus whip or Trudeau requests.

The Montreal-area Liberal MP announced in the spring that he would be leaving politics, citing family reasons, but never resigned his seat. He then said last month he was taking time to contemplate his political future. As he was mulling his political career this fall, Di Iorio hadn’t been seen in his seat in the House of Commons, but he had made appearances in his capacity as a lawyer.

Di Iorio said that he made clear when he was first elected in 2015 he intended to continue teaching and practising law. In his message posted Tuesday, Di Iorio said even after he’s vacated his seat, he intends to be around in a volunteer capacity.

Trudeau came under fire in question period over his MP’s exit plan.

“He gets to collect his salary all the way to the end of January while he’s earning a paycheque from a private firm, but that’s all okay with the prime minister… Why does the prime minister think it’s fair for a member of Parliament to not show up for work, collect a paycheque from a private firm, and still get paid from the taxpayer?” asked Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer.

MPs receive a $172,000 salary but after being absent for 21 days, they can have $120 a day clawed back each day following. It is unclear whether or not Di Iorio has had his pay docked as a result of his absence.

Responding to Scheer, Trudeau said Di Iorio has shared the initiatives he will be working on in his community over the next few months.

“Of course Mr. Speaker we expect every member in this House to work in the best interest of his constituents,” Trudeau sai.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberal-mp-di-iorio-says-he-s-resigning-in-the-new-year-1.4165609
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘What kind of PM would condone this?’ NDP calls for ethics probe into absent Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio

'Can Liberals not understand that it is exactly this sense of entitlement that drives Canadians crazy?,' NDP MP Nathan Cullen asked Tuesday

More from Maura Forrest

Published on: November 20, 2018 | Last Updated: November 20, 2018 6:40 PM EST

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio has been absent from the House of Commons since the summer. Liberal.ca

OTTAWA — The NDP is calling on the federal ethics watchdog to investigate Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio, who has been absent from the House of Commons since the summer, claiming he’s been collecting a salary and benefits without representing his constituents in parliament.

“What kind of prime minister would condone this kind of behaviour?” NDP MP Nathan Cullen asked Tuesday in the House of Commons. “Can Liberals not understand that it is exactly this sense of entitlement that drives Canadians crazy?”

In a Nov. 8 letter to ethics commissioner Mario Dion, Cullen and fellow NDP MP Charlie Angus say Di Iorio has accepted $93,000 in salary and benefits since he first announced his intention to resign on Apr. 25, despite having “returned to practicing law with a Montreal-based legal firm.” Di Iorio will not formally resign his seat until January.

“Canadians are rightly concerned about the ethical implications of a member neglecting their duties in the House to pursue other career interests with the acknowledgement of the prime minister himself,” they wrote.
Absentee MP Di Iorio to give back salary until retirement in January
MP Nicola Di Iorio says he will resign in January after finalizing ‘projects’
Have you seen MP Nicola Di Iorio, Liberals asked. Turns out he’s moonlighting

Di Iorio announced in April that he would be retiring from politics for personal reasons, but never formally resigned his seat. In September, he said he was still reflecting on his political future, but he didn’t return to the House of Commons for the fall sitting, which began on Sept. 17.

In a brief statement on his Facebook page on Nov. 2, Di Iorio said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had given him responsibilities that “require, justify and authorize” his absence from Parliament, but offered no details about the nature of the work. At the time, the prime minister’s office released a statement saying Di Iorio had “agreed to continue his work to ensure a smooth transition in his riding.”

Several days later, on Nov. 6, Di Iorio posted a long resignation letter on his Facebook page, addressed to Trudeau, saying he would formally step down on Jan. 22. “In the interim, I will fully serve my fellow citizens,” he wrote. “I will be present in the House when required by the whip or by you, and I will continue to perform all my other duties as a member.”

Shortly thereafter, Liberal party whip Mark Holland said Di Iorio would give back his salary between September and his January resignation.

“Canadians are rightly concerned about the ethical implications of a member neglecting their duties ... to pursue other career interests
–​

The Globe and Mail has reported that Di Iorio took up a position as a partner at Montreal law firm BCF Business Law after first announcing his resignation in April. Last month, he spoke at a cannabis industry trade show in Montreal as a business lawyer.

In their letter, Cullen and Angus demand that it “be made clear what duties are being performed by the member on a special assignment from the prime minister.” They also claim Di Iorio is failing to represent his Montreal-area riding by “refusing to either be present in Parliament or resign his seat.”

While the House of Commons conflict of interest rules do allow MPs to have work outside parliament, they say, that’s contingent on them being able to meet their obligations as parliamentarians. “It is apparent, given Mr. Di Iorio’s absence from the House, that his employment at BCF Business Law does not allow for the member to fulfill these obligations,” the MPs wrote.

Dion’s office confirmed the commissioner has begun a preliminary review of Di Iorio’s conduct under the House of Commons conflict of interest code. Di Iorio has been given 30 days to respond to the allegations, after which Dion will decide whether to launch an inquiry.

https://www.saultstar.com/news/politics/ndp-calls-for-ethics-investigation-into-absent-liberal-mp-nicola-di-iorio/wcm/1bbea307-1e7e-472f-ad7e-a10832a2771a

Jump to: