Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Windsor Lake By election in Newfoundland Sep 20 Reply with quote

( there is an interesting by election taking place in Newfoundland this fall, Ches Crosbie the new pc leader is running in a vacant former liberal riding although it had been pc in earlier years )

Stage set for Crosbie-Antle showdown in Windsor Lake byelection

Ches Crosbie confident, but admits losing would be a blow for him and PC Party

Terry Roberts · CBC News · Posted: Aug 21, 2018 6:33 PM NT | Last Updated: August 21

PC Leader Ches Crosbie was campaigning in Windsor Lake Tuesday, where he hopes to earn a seat in the legislature by winning an upcoming byelection. (John Pike/CBC)

The leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Newfoundland and Labrador Ches Crosbie will face a stiff challenge in his quest to earn a seat in the House of Assembly.

The governing Liberal party announced Tuesday that high-profile businessman Paul Antle was acclaimed as the party's candidate, setting the stage for a heavyweight byelection bout in the St. John's district of Windsor Lake.

Crosbie hungry for legitimacy

Crosbie has been party leader for four months, and is hungry to earn himself legitimacy in the eyes of voters ahead of next year's provincial general election.

But he admits his authority to lead the PCs would be severely wounded if he loses to Antle.

Businessman Paul Antle has been acclaimed as the Liberal candidate for the upcoming byelection in the St. John's district of Windsor Lake.

"If I lose, it's obviously a blow to our chances to form a government," Crosbie said Tuesday afternoon, "but I have no intention of entertaining that prospect."

Crosbie has been on the campaign trail for a week, out of the gate quickly after Liberal MHA and former finance minister Cathy Bennett announced she was leaving politics after less than a term in office.

Bennett's resignation became effective on Tuesday, meaning government now has up to 60 days to call a byelection, and up to 95 days to hold a vote. But Premier Ball is signalling that he will act quickly, and voters could be casting ballots in early October.

Crosbie said he's ready, whatever the timeframe, and wouldn't say what he'll do if he loses.

"The only thing on my mind is winning this byelection, and the reception I'm getting at the doors confirms in my mind that's going to happen," he said.

A strong Liberal vote

Crosbie faces an electorate that stood firmly behind Bennett and the Liberal party in 2015, with Bennett receiving 66 per cent of the 5,000 votes cast in Windsor Lake.

He faces a Liberal opponent in Paul Antle who came a strong second to NDP MHA Lorraine Michael in St. John's East-Quidi Vidi in the last election. Antle also came second to Dwight Ball in a crowded Liberal leadership contest in 2013.

Antle was not available for interviews Tuesday, and has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday morning.

But if Crosbie is worried, he's not showing it.

"I'll just say that it's very important for me to win this byelection and I think that's what's going to happen."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/windsor-lake-byelection-1.4793534
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Antle acclaimed as Liberal nominee for Windsor Lake byelection

The Telegram
Published: 16 hours ago

Paul Antle is the Liberal candidate in the upcoming Windsor Lake byelection, running unopposed for the nomination.

Antle announced his intention last Thursday, minutes before the call for nominations closed.

PC Leader Ches Crosbie is the other candidate named in the byelection so far, with the NDP yet to name their candidate.

Antle is the CEO of Pluto Investments, an equity firm which owns the St. John’s Dockyard and Humber Motors Ford Ltd.

He has previously run in provincial and federal elections, as well as for the Liberal leadership in 2013, coming up short in each contest.

Antle’s campaign launch event will take place today (Wednesday) at the Hampton Hill and Suites in St. John’s at 11 a.m.

Speaking with NTV, Premier Dwight Ball has indicated he intends to have the byelection completed before the end of October.

The seat became open when former Finance Minister Cathy Bennett announced her resignation as the Member of the House of Assembly for Windsor Lake. Bennett’s resignation became effective Aug. 21.

http://www.thetelegram.com/new.....on-235515/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsor Lake byelection set for Sept. 20

PC Leader Ches Crosbie, Liberal Paul Antle confirmed to be running

CBC News · Posted: Aug 22, 2018 10:26 AM NT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

PC Leader Ches Crosbie and Liberal Paul Antle have already announced they will be seeking the Windsor Lake seat in the upcoming byelection. (CBC)

The date for the byelection in the Windsor Lake district in St. John's has been set for Thursday, Sept. 20.

Bruce Chaulk, the Newfoundland and Labrador chief electoral officer, announced the date in a press release Wednesday morning.

Polls will be open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Advanced polling schedules will be released later, the provincial government said in a press release, while applications for special ballots are now being accepted.

PC Leader Ches Crosbie has announced he will be seeking a seat in the House of Assembly by running in Windsor Lake.

Paul Antle was acclaimed Tuesday as the Liberal candidate.

There's no word yet on who will be running for the NDP or independently.

The byelection was triggered after former finance minister Cathy Bennett announced she would be resigning from public office and returning to public life.

Elections Newfoundland and Labrador is encouraging residents of the district to confirm or add themselves to a registration list, saying more information can be found on their website.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/windsor-lake-byelection-date-1.4794355
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ches Crosbie running in Windsor Lake byelection

The Telegram
Published: Aug 07 at 8:10 a.m.
Updated: Aug 07 at 8:12 a.m.

Progressive Conservative Leader Ches Crosbie says he will run in the upcoming byelection in the district of Windsor Lake, which is being vacated by fromer finance minister Cathy Bennett.

“I am proud to announce that I will be running as the Progressive Conservative candidate in the upcoming Windsor Lake byelection. I have already begun organizing my local campaign team, and am looking forward to continuing to meet with the people of the district and seek their support in the weeks ahead,” Crosbie said in a news release.

“I am excited to bring forth a positive vision to the people of Windsor Lake, and to outline my plan to reverse the high-tax Liberal economic agenda, address rising energy costs, and restore public confidence in our democracy.”

Related story:

Cathy Bennett to resign as MHA from Newfoundland and Labrador legislature

Bennett announced Monday that she will be vacating the seat as of Aug. 21, triggering this byelection.

“I would like to thank outgoing MHA Cathy Bennett for her service to the people of our province, including the residents of Windsor Lake. I wish her well as she returns to the private sector.” Crosbie saod.

Crosbie said Premier Dwight Ball should immediately set a date for this upcoming byelection.

“It is important to me that all residents of Newfoundland and Labrador are represented in our legislature as fully as possible,” Crosbie said.

“That is why I am asking Premier Ball to not delay choosing a date for this election, and to ensure that this seat is not vacant for any longer than it needs to be. I am prepared for this byelection to occur at the earliest possible opportunity.”

http://www.thetelegram.com/new.....on-231842/
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This by-election should be interesting. Former Finance Minister Cathy Bennett won the district, although under slightly different boundaries, in 2014 after Kathy Dunderale resigned. After narrowly winning it in 2014 she won close to 70% of the vote in 2015. Her PC opponent in that election was former NDP MP Ryan Cleary.

Pail Antle is a former Libera leadership candidate who placed second to Dwight Ball. He ran federally in 2006 and was a candidate in the last provincial election.

Should be an interesting match. Crosbie said he’ll resign as leader if he loses, so him and his team seem pretty confident that they’ll win.

Also interesting to note, Crosbie was supposed to be involved in a panel at the CPC convention. He backed out a couple of days before to focus on the by-election.
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showdown in N.L.'s Windsor Lake byelection

David Maher (david.maher@thetelegram.com)

Published: Aug 31 at 8:37 p.m.
Updated: a day ago

Candidates in the Sept. 20 Windsor Lake provincial byelection from left: NDP Kerri Claire Neil; PC Ches Crosbie; Liberal Paul Antle. - David Maher

The newcomer, the lawyer and the businessman jockey for a seat in the House

The people of Windsor Lake have a big decision to make on Sept. 20.

Will the people give a vote of confidence to the current government and a businessman who’s long been in their midst?

Will they support a party whose signature project stares down upon the province and a lawyer born into a political dynasty?

Will they go with the party that has never held more than five seats in the House of Assembly and a young, passionate woman cutting her teeth as a politician?

The order that each candidate’s comments appear below relates to the order in which they responded to interview requests made by The Telegram.

The newcomer

Kerri Claire Neil has been making noise in St. John’s for at least the last three years, when she helped co-found Smash Patriarchy: An Action Team (SPAAT), a grassroots feminist collective.

Now a social economist and candidate for the New Democratic Party while finishing a master’s degree in sociology at Memorial University, Neil admits she’s jumped into the political world a little sooner than she first envisioned.

Neil
Neil

“Going into politics has always been a dream of mine, but I always imagined I’d be an older, wiser woman before I ran,” she said.

“But I’m angry. I’m frustrated with the way the province has been run. The status quo has not been working for us.”

Neil says it’s time to reorganize the priorities of the province. Following the lead of the federal New Democratic Party, Neil says making child care affordable is one of the changes she wants to see come to the provincial scale.

“Everybody’s looking at Quebec. They’ve implemented an incredible child care program that’s more affordable,” she said.

“It’s had an impact on their economic growth because women are able to contribute to the economy.”

Right out of the gate, Neil has made her views on Muskrat Falls one of the tenets of her campaign.

Neil says privatizing any aspect of the project would be the wrong move.

“I don’t think we should sell it off to private business. There’s a lot of danger in taking a basic necessity like electricity and heat and putting that in the hands of private businesses,” she said.

“This is our mess. We should clean it up.”

As the federal carbon pricing plan sees ups and downs across the country, Neil says this province needs its own version that makes big business pay.

“I was really disappointed when the Liberals introduced the gas tax. It’s similar to a carbon tax, except it only hurts individual consumers,” she said.

“We have to get rid of the gas tax, replace it with a carbon tax that charges more to the largest emitters, that would be our big multinational corporations.”

Neil says she’s worried about how women are treated when they enter public life, but she says she’s not afraid to step into the fray.

“They pushed a woman out of their caucus. Windsor Lake has a history of electing strong women, and I hope to continue that legacy and offer an alternative on the ballot.”

The lawyer

Progressive Conservative Leader Ches Crosbie has everything to gain and everything to lose in Windsor Lake.

Ches Crosbie.
Ches Crosbie.

He stands by previous comments that if he loses this byelection, he’ll have to step down as leader of his party. He says he’s not going to ignore the truth.

“It’s obvious to everybody that this is a vitally important byelection and will influence the chances of the PC party for forming a government in the next election. Why would I deny that that’s true?” he said.

“However, I don’t want to dwell on that and focus on that. I intend to win this byelection and I have every indication on the ground that I’m going to.”

Crosbie says his road to a seat in the House of Assembly is through drawing attention to higher taxes and increased cost of living underneath the Liberal government.

“What we saw the Liberals do in the last three years is impose roughly 300 different fee and tax increases and basically increase the cost of living for people dramatically, while at the same time doing no meaningful belt tightening of their own around government,” he said.

“It’s a powerful reason why we’ve lost population for each of the last seven quarters, the last two years of the Ball government.”

One of the places Crosbie says the province can tighten its belt is in health care.

“For example, in the health care system, we’ve heard Dr. Pat Parfrey talk about the choosing wisely program and that has to do with the hundreds of millions of dollars that are being wasted on unnecessary testing,” he said.

On Muskrat Falls, Crosbie says he’s encouraged by recent word from the provincial and federal governments that the Public Utilities Board and federal government will be engaged on the solution. He says Premier Dwight Ball must be listening to him — Crosbie has been advocating for those moves for months.

“I think the federal government is fully complicit in Muskrat Falls as it exists today. They participated jointly in the environmental panel which gave advice about Muskrat Falls and in full knowledge of that, decided to go ahead anyway,” he said.

“They are in this with us. They are our partners. They cannot wriggle out. We need leadership that is not afraid to have tough negotiations with tough opponents.”

The businessman

Sept. 20 will mark the third time Paul Antle’s name has appeared on a ballot in an election in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Antle says his goal in the byelection campaign will be to bring hope and optimism to the people of Windsor Lake.

Paul Antle.
Paul Antle.

“We’re back on track, I believe, in this province. Really, that’s my message: hope and optimism. That’s what I’m bringing to the campaign,” he said.

“I think I have something to offer the province. I’ve never shied away from a challenge. That’s why I’m there.”

Antle says he fully believes the premier when Ball says there’s to be no rate or tax increases to accompany Muskrat Falls’ completion in 2021. He says people are relieved to hear the message.

“The concern was real. People were stressed. People were talking of moving. People were looking for ways to get out from underneath that burden,” Antle said.

“I believe what our government has now done by separating the ratepayer from the Muskrat Falls mess, separating the taxpayer from that mess and the responsibility of that mess, is the right way to go.”

Antle doesn’t mind that no details about that plan have yet been released. He says he doesn’t have time for “negativity.”

“There’s all kinds of options that are in play, all kinds of tactics that are being explored to deal with the second piece of this strategy, which is dealing with that Nalcor liability. I am very comfortable with the path we are on,” he said.

Antle says there are parts of what the Liberal party has done since coming to power that haven’t been popular, but overall, he’s proud of what the party has accomplished.

“They’ve stabilized the financial base of the province and now we’re turning the corner and things are getting better. We’re on the right track,” he said.

“It was tough. Everybody will always have something they don’t like about what happened, but where we are today is a lot better off than we were three years ago.”

Three weeks away

Special ballot voting has begun for the Windsor Lake byelection.

As each candidate bruises their knuckles on the doors of Windsor Lake, the people they speak to will shape not only who sits in the House of Assembly, but who could sit in power at the end of 2019.

http://www.thetelegram.com/new.....on-238146/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Ballot Voting Now Available in Windsor Lake

September 1, 2018 | 6:01 pm

Special ballot voting is now available in the district of Windsor Lake.

The belection to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Cathy Bennett will be held on September 20th.

The special ballot is for those who are unable to cast ballots at the advance polls or on byelection day.

Voters can use the special ballot in person at two locations, the Windsor Lake returning office at 25 Hebron Way, and at the Elections Newfoundland and Labrador head office at 35 Hallett Crescent.

The offices will be open for special ballot voting Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., on Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Special ballot offices will be closed on Monday for Labour Day.

http://vocm.com/news/special-b.....dsor-lake/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
This by-election should be interesting. Former Finance Minister Cathy Bennett won the district, although under slightly different boundaries, in 2014 after Kathy Dunderale resigned. After narrowly winning it in 2014 she won close to 70% of the vote in 2015. Her PC opponent in that election was former NDP MP Ryan Cleary.

Pail Antle is a former Libera leadership candidate who placed second to Dwight Ball. He ran federally in 2006 and was a candidate in the last provincial election.

Should be an interesting match. Crosbie said he’ll resign as leader if he loses, so him and his team seem pretty confident that they’ll win.

Also interesting to note, Crosbie was supposed to be involved in a panel at the CPC convention. He backed out a couple of days before to focus on the by-election.

I find it interesting how politics has changed for the worse over the years , it used to be in the past an opposition leader was given a free pass into parliament or the provincial legislature . now its about trying to destroy that person before there even able to take a seat .

as we saw in alberta when Jason kenney ran for a seat , the ndp ran a fiercely negative campaign against him instead of just allowing him to enter the legislature , which would of been the most logical thing to do

around 2000 , both Joe Clark and Stockwell Day were allowed to run for seats without having to face liberal candidates who were in power at the time

now the liberals are saying they might run a candidate against Jagmeet Singh instead of just allowing him to enter parliament as has been the case with every other major opposition leader before him . joe clark lead a caucus of only 12 or 14 mp's , singh has over 40 mp's

as for this by election in Newfoundland , its not really clear how it will turn out , its considered very hard to beat a party leader and governments usually do poorly in by elections . so that should give somewhat of an advantage to crosbie
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsor Lake byelection candidates face off in debate with potential impact beyond the district

Paul Antle, Ches Crosbie and Kerri Claire Neil running in Sept. 20 byelection

Rob Antle · CBC News · Posted: Sep 06, 2018 11:35 AM NT | Last Updated: September 6

PC Leader Ches Crosbie, NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil, and Liberal candidate Paul Antle in the CBC studio in St. John's for a debate on Sept. 6, before a byelection in the Windsor Lake district on Sept. 20. (CBC)

The next provincial general election may be more than a year away, but the three parties got the chance to hone their pitches and test them for voters in Windsor Lake — and beyond — during a province-wide televised byelection debate on CBC's Here & Now Thursday night.

The candidates talked about everything from the impact of Muskrat Falls to the evergreen political topic of jobs, while also touching on local issues ranging from wetlands to problems faced by cabin owners.

Windsor Lake is just one seat of 40 in the legislature. But what happens in this St. John's district could have a big impact on next year's province-wide vote.

Progressive Conservative Leader Ches Crosbie has indicated that failure to win a ticket to the House of Assembly representing Windsor Lake would be "a blow to our chances to form a government."

Liberal candidate Paul Antle was runner-up for leadership of his party in 2013, and would likely become a big player in the government if he wins the seat. He was unsuccessful in another St. John's district in 2015.

I know how to get things done. I know how to create jobs. I employ more than 400 people. I know how to attract investment. I've raised hundreds of millions of dollars.

- Liberal candidate Paul Antle

The NDP is hoping for a revival of its fortunes, after the party briefly topped the polls five years ago. Kerri Claire Neil is the latest in a wave of young progressive candidates in St. John's — potentially fertile ground for the party.

The performance of all three candidates was mostly measured, if sometimes meandering off the moderator's topic, with a few prickly moments.

Watch the full debate in the embedded video below

'No fight in Dwight'

Crosbie broached the idea of getting more from Ottawa — something he contended the current Liberal government is failing to do.

"There's no fight in Dwight," Crosbie said.

He also took issue with the Liberal economic record for job creation.

"Three years of the Dwight Ball Liberal government way forward has left us dead last going backward," he noted.

Three years of the Dwight Ball Liberal government way forward has left us dead last going backward.

- PC candidate Ches Crosbie

Antle, meanwhile, put the blame for tough decisions made by the Ball administration onto the shoulders on the Tories, who were vanquished from government nearly three years ago.

He said taxes are high because efforts to fight the $2.7-billion deficit the Liberals inherited when they took office.

"We have to do better, and we will," he said. "As our tax base expands, more jobs created, more savings realized, more taxes will come down."

And he touted his business background.

"I know how to get things done. I know how to create jobs. I employ more than 400 people. I know how to attract investment. I've raised hundreds of millions of dollars."

'Fed up' with Tory, Liberal record

Neil, meanwhile, stressed her credentials as a feminist, activist, and social economist.

She took aim at corporate grants for big companies, such as Canopy Growth, which will receive up to $40 million in government incentives to produce cannabis here.

"If you can't make money selling marijuana, you probably shouldn't be in business," Neil said.

I am fed up with watching the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives mismanage our economy.

- NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil

Neil said the economic performance of both other parties leaves much to be desired.

"I am fed up with watching the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives mismanage our economy," Neil said.

"And I believe that if we elect people who understand the issues and have solutions that put our people first, we can do things better."

And she was critical of the other parties' records on Muskrat Falls.

"I have been raising concerns and researching this project since it was first proposed. They have been telling us that there is nothing to worry about. That our negativity is disrupting their good ideas. Well, we have a right to be concerned, because our concerns are real."

Crosbie brings up former MHA

One of the thornier moments happened when Crosbie referenced the previous MHA.

Former finance minister Cathy Bennett has said she was intimidated and bullied within her own Liberal caucus and cabinet.

"Many people think that Cathy Bennett was thrown under the bus," Crosbie said to Antle.

"What makes you think that if you were elected, Dwight Ball would not throw you under the bus?"

Antle sidestepped that question, and steered the conversation back to the the Liberal economic plan compared to the Tories.

Crosbie also floated the idea that Antle is running to ensure government help for his plans for the Marystown shipyard.

"This debate is not about my efforts to revive the Marystown shipyard," Antle replied.

"My business activities and my efforts as an entrepreneur are well known, well respected, with a high degree of integrity. And if I can bring jobs and opportunity and investment to the people of the Burin Peninsula, and I can attract tens of millions of dollars, foreign investors, to help do that, then I am not going to apologize for that."

The Windsor Lake byelection is scheduled for Sept. 20.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/windsor-lake-byelection-debate-1.4812614
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance polls open for Windsor Lake byelection

PC Ches Crosbie, the NDP's Kerri Claire Neil and Liberal Paul Antle in the running

CBC News · Posted: Sep 13, 2018 1:11 PM NT | Last Updated: September 13

From left, PC Leader Ches Crosbie, NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil and Liberal candidate Paul Antle are competing for the Windsor Lake seat. (Submitted photos)

As of Thursday, advance polls in the St. John's district of Windsor Lake are open.

Elections Newfoundland and Labrador opened polls, from 8 a.m. on 8 p.m., for Sept. 13 at Macdonald Drive Junior High and Roncalli Elementary School.

Residents from the district can cast their ballot early while the polls remains open.

A second advance polling day, at the same locations, will be held on Sept. 15. The official byelection date is Sept. 20.

Progressive Conservative Leader Ches Crosbie is running in the district, which was made vacant when former Liberal finance minister Cathy Bennett returned to private life last month.

Liberal Paul Antle is taking a third stab at provincial politics, after becoming the acclaimed Liberal candidate for Windsor Lake.

Kerri Claire Neil won the NDP nomination.

In order to vote, people need to be residents of the district and of Canada, be 18 or older, and be registered to vote.

Elections Newfoundland and Labrador directs anyone with questions to their website.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/windsor-lake-byelection-1.4822028
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCs and Liberals tied in Windsor Lake byelection: MQO

The Telegram
Published: Sep 11 at 12:02 p.m.

Candidates in the Sept. 20 Windsor Lake provincial byelection from left: NDP Kerri Claire Neil; PC Ches Crosbie; Liberal Paul Antle.

MQO Research says it is a close race between the PCs and Liberals in the Windsor Lake byelection.

The polling company spoke with 300 residents in the Windsor Lake district to gauge how they were planning to vote in the upcoming byelection.

According to our results, there is a statistical tie between Liberal candidate Paul Antle and PC leader Ches Crosbie, MQO said in the release.

Among decided and leaning voters:
•41 per cent would vote for Antle
•37 per cent would vote for Crosbie
•22 per cent would vote for the NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil

Meanwhile, 23 per cent of those polled were undecided.

“This is a very important byelection,” said Stephen Moore, vice-president at MQO. “If Crosbie doesn’t win, the Tories will go into the campaign without an elected leader.”

Voters 55 years and older are more likely to support Crosbie while younger voters are more likely to support Antle.

MQO said the poll also asked which leader people preferred for premier. Currently, PC leader Ches Crosbie and Premier Dwight Ball are neck and neck in the riding. Among decided respondents:

•43 per cent picked Crosbie
•38 per cent picked Premier Ball
•19 per cent selected Gerry Rogers

A total of 28 per cent of those polled were undecided.

The poll was conducted by telephone from Sept. 9-10 and included 300 randomly selected eligible voters in the riding. The margin of error for the total sample is plus or minus 5.7 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

http://www.thetelegram.com/new.....qo-240366/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day turnout for advance poll voting in Windsor Lake byelection

684 votes were cast

CBC News · Posted: Sep 13, 2018 9:20 PM NT | Last Updated: September 13

Out of a possible 9,077 registered voters for the Windsor Lake byelection, 684 votes were cast. (Getty Images)

The numbers are in for the first day turnout of advance poll voting in the Windsor Lake byelection.

Out of the possible 9,077 registered voters for the area, 684 votes were cast..

The four polls closed Thursday night at 8 p.m. at Macdonald Drive Junior High School and Roncalli Elementary School.

A second day of advance voting will take place on Saturday at the same locations from 8 a.m to 8 p.m, with the byelection taking place Sept. 20.

Registered voters can check their voter information cards to find out where to vote.

The candidates are Liberal Paul Antle, Progressive Conservative Ches Crosbie and New Democrat Kerri Claire Neil.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/first-day-turnout-advance-poll-windsor-lake-1.4823179
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poll last week showed that Antle and Crosbie are neck and neck in this race. The NDP candidate, who was a complete unknown, has seemed to impress some during the race. The by-election is tomorrow and I'm not sure who'll win. I'll lean more towards Crosbie but wouldn't be surprised to not see him take this.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1439 Votes Cast in Windsor Lake So Far

September 16, 2018 | 8:15 am

A grand total of 1439 votes were cast in the Windsor Lake byelection during two days of advance polling last week. On the first day, Thursday, 684 votes were cast. Yesterday, another 755 ballots were cast to make up the total. By contrast, in the 2015 general election, just 889 votes were cast in Windsor Lake.

The Byelection itself is set for this Thursday, September 20th. Either PC Leader Ches Crosbie, Liberal Paul Antle or the NDP’s Kerri Claire Neil will replace Cathy Bennett, who resigned earlier this summer.

http://vocm.com/news/1439-vote.....ke-so-far/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
A poll last week showed that Antle and Crosbie are neck and neck in this race. The NDP candidate, who was a complete unknown, has seemed to impress some during the race. The by-election is tomorrow and I'm not sure who'll win. I'll lean more towards Crosbie but wouldn't be surprised to not see him take this.

I really have no idea as to the final outcome , I can only gauge how things are going based on whats on the internet or from personal experiences

can't recall a provincial pc leader not winning one of these by elections other than when John Tory lost in Haliburton kawartha Lakes in 2008 but he was highly unpopular in the riding

any of the others I can recall the party leader won , like Jason kenney or Patrick Brown but few actually had to face off against a serious liberal challenger like this race

as for the east coast , provincial pc parties have won a couple other by elections lately , one in Nova Scotia and another late last year in Newfoundland where they had to beat stronger than normal liberal challengers . even though the liberals already have majorities in all 4 east coast legislatures , they've tried hard to add new members to there seat count but have ultimately failed so far in the last 2 or 3 by elections out there

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: