Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: London Fanshawe ndp mp Irene Mathyssen retiring Reply with quote

( yet another opposition mp is retiring , no good news for the ndp as another veteran doesn't even want to run again . the provincial ndp won all 3 London seats but not sure it be as easy to keep an open London riding next election )

Longtime NDP MP Irene Mathyssen retiring

By Kelsey Johnson. Published on Aug 27, 2018 9:48am

NDP MP Irene Mathyssen. (iPolitics/ Matthew Usherwood)

A longtime NDP MP from Ontario says she is retiring from politics and will not seek re-election in 2019.

Irene Mathyssen, who’s held the riding of London-Fanshaw for 12 years, said in a statement Monday she has decided not to seek a fifth political term.

“It has been my distinct honour and pride to serve this community – as a mother, as a teacher, as a community member, as a Member of Provincial Parliament, and as your Federal Member of Parliament,” she wrote. “I am grateful for the people of London who have placed their trust in me and given me the opportunity to champion so many progressive causes over the years.”

She said she plans to serve out her term and thanked her family and staff for their support.

First elected in 2006, Mathyssen is the longest serving MP in the London, Ontario area and has earned a reputation for her feisty interventions on issues including cuts at Canada Post, poverty and women’s issues.

During her time in Ottawa, she’s served as the NDP’s critic for seniors issues, the status of women and veterans affairs. She’s also served as the NDP’s caucus chair.

In 2015, she introduced a motion in parliament that called for an GST exemption on feminine products. Nicknamed the “tampon tax” motion, it earned all party support in the Commons with feminine products formally granted a tax exemption on July 1, 2015.

A high school teacher for more than 25 years, Mathyseen previously worked as a member of provincial parliament where she served in Bob Rae’s cabinet from 1990 to 1995.

Following her retirement, Mathyssen said she plans “to remain active in a civilian capacity to create the stronger, more inclusive and fair society we know is possible,” before quoting the late NDP Leader Jack Layton’s letter to Canadians.

“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/08/27/longtime-ndp-mp-irene-mathyssen-retiring/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irene Mathyssen will not seek re-election

Irene Mathyssen
NDP MP Irene Mathyssen looks over documents at Museum London in London, Ont. on Wednesday, June 1, 2011. (Dave Chidley/The Canadian Press)

CTV London
Published Monday, August 27, 2018 9:03AM EDT

Member of Parliament for London Fanshawe (NDP) Irene Mathyssen has announced that she is retiring from federal politics.

Mathyssen has served four terms as MP for London-Fanshawe announced today in a media release that she will not be seeking re-election.

“It has been my distinct honour and pride to serve this community – as a mother, as a teacher, as a community member, as Member of Provincial Parliament, and as your Federal Member of Parliament,” Mathyssen is quoted in her statement.

She says she intends to remain active in a civilian capacity following her retirement.

The federal NDP will now work on finding a candidate to replace Mathyssen for the upcoming federal election in 2019.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/irene-mathyssen-will-not-seek-re-election-1.4069323
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( perhaps the ndp isn't in as much trouble here as first though although there new candidate will be relying of her mothers last name to get her elected , if that is enough to hold the seat or not )

Mathyssen’s daughter eyes London Fanshawe run

By Miranda ChantSeptember 7, 2018 11:51am

Irene Mathyssen’s daughter is looking to fill the veteran MP’s shoes in London-Fanshawe.

Lindsay Mathyssen announced Friday her intention to seek the federal NDP nomination in her mother’s riding.

“As a life-long New Democrat, who has been politically active since I was 11 years old, I have seen the dedication and commitment required of an MP first-hand,” said the younger Mathyssen in a statement. “For over a decade, I have worked side-by-side with the NDP Caucus on Parliament Hill, and I know what it takes to help people in London-Fanshawe.”

After almost 18 years as MP for London-Fanshawe, Irene Mathyssen announced last week that she is retiring from federal politics and will not seek re-election next year. Lindsay Mathyssen sees the run as a way to continue her mother’s work.

“My mother has shown me how important it is for the community to have someone who is a compassionate, strong, and dynamic… I know how to get things done and will fight to find solutions for our community,” she said.

Lindsay Mathyssen is a parliamentary assistant and a member of the Victory Legion, the Council of Canadians, and the Ontario Health Coalition.

http://blackburnnews.com/londo.....shawe-run/

Jump to: