Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Rachel Notley goes to war with Jagmeet Singh Reply with quote

Quote:
Graham Thomson: Rachel Notley fed up with federal NDP leader Singh's anti-pipeline, 'elitist' views

Alberta’s NDP Premier Rachel Notley has all but declared war with federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh. In a remarkable interview Friday, Notley criticized her fellow New Democrat as thoughtless, elitist and pretty much an enemy of the working people. She was so critical of Singh that at times I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't interviewing United Conservative Party leader Jason Kenney.

GRAHAM THOMSON, EDMONTON JOURNAL Updated: August 10, 2018

Alberta’s NDP Premier Rachel Notley has all but declared war with federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh.

In a remarkable interview Friday, Notley criticized her fellow New Democrat as thoughtless, elitist and pretty much an enemy of the working people.

She was so critical of Singh that at times I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t interviewing United Conservative Party Leader Jason Kenney.

She ridiculed Singh’s opposition to the Trans Mountain pipeline project and literally laughed at his suggestion on how Canada can best wean itself off Saudi Arabian oil.

“What happened with Jagmeet is that he’s learning that things are not as simple as they sometimes seem,” said Notley of the federal leader who is based in Ontario but announced this week he is running for a byelection seat in Burnaby South in British Columbia.

Notley is irritated by Singh’s highly charged and simplistic attacks on the federal deal to buy the Trans Mountain pipeline project from Kinder Morgan.

Singh has said Canada “should not be spending public dollars on a 65-year-old leaky pipeline.”

Notley has shot back by pointing out the project will create thousands of jobs as workers build a new parallel line to allow Alberta to ship more oilsands bitumen to the West Coast for transport overseas.

“I am a New Democrat that comes from the part of the party that understands that you don’t bring about equality and fairness without focusing on jobs for regular working people,” said Notley. “To forget that and to throw them under the bus as collateral damage in pursuit of some other high level policy objective is a recipe for failure and it’s also very elitist.”

Notley has lost what little patience she had for Singh because the Trans Mountain project is not just important for Alberta’s economy but is crucial to the survival of her government as it heads toward a provincial election expected in May.

Her main opponent is Kenney, whose party is well ahead of the NDP in public opinion polls and who delights in claiming that, as fellow NDP members, Notley and Singh are anti-business comrades-in-arms.

Being tied to Singh obviously bothers Notley. Her comments Friday were designed to detach herself from the federal NDP and, really, she couldn’t be putting more distance between herself and Singh if she had strapped him to NASA’s mission to the sun that launches Saturday morning (and I’m still wondering if she’s tempted).

In case there’s any doubt of Notley’s animosity toward Singh she did the unspeakable for a New Democrat and compared him to her arch rival, Kenney. [....]
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/graham-thomson-rachel-notley-fed-up-with-federal-ndp-leader-singhs-anti-pipeline-elitist-views

I wonder: will this will seal the fate of Jagmeet? I don't see how he can respond without doing himself damage.

I give Notley credit. She has defined the issue and made it part of the public (or \reportable as 'news') debate. Being loyal to a party is a lower priority than representing your constituency.

Conservatives watch their choice sit on the sidelines during an impending 'perfect storm' of incompetence, and loyally say nothing. The best leader the dairy industry would let us have leaves us voiceless.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the show;

What seems to be lost here is that Singh has one MP in Alberta (whose re-election wont be effected by his Pipeline stance) and isn't exactly close to securing a second. That aside, feuding with Notley will likely help him massively in a Burnaby South By-Election (if he opts to run there) as well as the Urban Ridings the NDP historically rely on.

Whereas the Federal NDP is wildly unpopular in Alberta and Notley (who is nine months out from an election) gets to distance herself from them with these comments.

Its a "feud" that everyone wins.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Notley has ever been that close to the federal ndp , perhaps after she first won in 2015 . maybe she was for a short period , when Brian Topp came over and helped run things .

but in more recent times , she's been more of an ally of Justin Trudeau oddly enough

so this feud maybe shouldn't come as a surprise ?

the reality is her re election chances aren't good , so she has nothing to lose at this point by trying any strategy no matter how crazy or odd in a desperate attempt at getting back in

Jump to: