Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Cumberland South NS by election June 19th Reply with quote

( there is a provincial by election in Nova Scotia to replace Jamie Baillie at the end of June , in a typically pc area but liberals and ndp still plan to campaign in the riding and are hopeful at making gains )

Byelection June 19 in riding formerly held by ousted N.S. Tory leader

Keith Doucette, THE CANADIAN PRESS
Published Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:34PM ADT
Last Updated Friday, May 18, 2018 7:57AM ADT

HALIFAX -- Voters in the Nova Scotia riding that was held by former Progressive Conservative leader Jamie Baillie will go to the polls in a byelection June 19.

The announcement regarding Cumberland South was made by Premier Stephen McNeil on Thursday.

The riding became vacant after Baillie resigned as both party leader and member of the legislative assembly on Jan. 24, following an independent investigation by his party that found he acted inappropriately and breached the legislature's policy on workplace harassment.

Baillie had held the seat since first winning it in a byelection in 2010.

"As I have said we wanted to get to the byelection before summer came," said McNeil. "We made sure everyone had gone through their nominations . . . and this is the date that we chose."

Baillie won the riding in the May 2017 election capturing 51.5 per cent of the vote, while the Liberals registered just over 40 per cent support and the NDP only 5.8 per cent.

McNeil said the Liberals will run on the government's record. He said the byelection represents an opportunity for voters in the riding to "join government."

"To ensure that when issues arise across the province whether it's related to health care, education, or programs to keep young people here, their voice will be part of helping to shape those policies," he said.

That drew an immediate response from both opposition leaders who characterized McNeil's pitch to voters as "old style politics."

"I think the number of people for whom this is attractive is much smaller than it was a few years ago," said NDP Leader Gary Burrill. "I think what we need to do is look at the current issues."

Burrill said a pressing issue he hopes his party can make headway on is the shortage of nursing home beds in Cumberland County.

Interim Progressive Conservative leader Karla MacFarlane expressed disappointment with McNeil's assertion and said the Tories are ready for a fight.

MacFarlane said she doesn't believe there will be any fallout because of what occurred with Baillie.

"No one has brought it up with me in the general public when I have been there," she said.

Tory Rushton will attempt to retain the riding for the Tories, while Scott Lockhart will carry the Liberal banner and Larry Duchesne is running for the NDP.

Heading into the byelection the governing Liberals hold 27 seats in the 51 seat legislature, while the Progressive Conservatives have 16, the NDP 7, and one seat is vacant.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/byelection-june-19-in-riding-formerly-held-by-ousted-n-s-tory-leader-1.3933995
RCO

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNeil announces June 19 byelection for Cumberland South

DARRELL COLE Amherst News
Published May 17, 2018 - 11:31am

SPRINGHILL — Cumberland South voters are going to the polls.

Several months after former Progressive Conservative leader Jamie Baillie resigned the seat, Premier Stephen McNeil announced Thursday that voters in the riding will select a new MLA on Tuesday, June 19.

“We wanted to get the byelection called before the summer and we wanted to wait until everyone had their candidates in place and with the that we’re ready to go,” the premier said after a cabinet meeting in Halifax.

McNeil said the voters of Cumberland South have an opportunity to elect a member to sit on the government benches, something they haven’t had since Murray Scott sat as a PC MLA and cabinet minister in the Rodney MacDonald government a decade ago.

“We have a good candidate in Scott (Lockhart), who would be a tremendous candidate to join the government and sit in the government caucus as we continue the march forward with the positive things we’ve seen in Nova Scotia,” the premier said.

While the byelection has just been called, Cumberland South has already seen some positive news in the recent announcement to build a new elementary school to replace aging Junction Road Elementary and West End-Memorial Elementary while Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Minister Lloyd Hines announced a couple of weeks ago that a replacement will be built for the closed Rainbow Bridge on the border with Cumberland North near Amherst.

The premier said Thursday the school will go ahead regardless of the election result.

“It’s early in our second mandate and we’re looking forward to continuing to govern this province,” McNeil said. “Hopefully, the people of Cumberland South will think it’s a good idea to have a member of the government caucus.”

Lockhart said he is ready to go and is confident of his chances to win a seat that has been a PC stronghold since 1998.

“I’ve been working toward this for a long time,” said Lockhart, who was a former president of the Cumberland South PC Association that jumped to the Liberals soon after federal MP Bill Casey jumped to the federal Liberals. “We have a great team in place and we’re ready.”

Lockhart said opening communication lines with constituents is a big issue to him as is health care and education. He also wants to work to improve the riding’s road infrastructure.

“There’s a lot of road work that needs to be done and that’s a priority to me,” he said.

While he is hearing that people are skeptical about the school and bridge announcements, Lockhart said both projects will go forward no matter what happens June 19.

Lockhart knows he has a job ahead of him, but the party gained votes in last May’s provincial election — finishing second to Baillie — and the difference this time is he’s not running against a party leader, but a party without a leader.

PC candidate Tory Rushton said the byelection is an opportunity for the voters to send a clear message to the provincial government.

He said the health-care crisis, with frequent emergency room closures in Parrsboro and Springhill, and the shortage of jobs are two key issues to voters.

“Doctors are leaving and there’s no one coming to replace them,” said Rushton. “People are showing up at closed emergency rooms, or waiting hours to receive care. We deserve better and this byelection is a perfect chance to say that. This is about who is the best choice to stand up for the people of Cumberland South and get our fair share.”

He said the recent Springhill school announcement, although welcome, is an example of how the government is prepared to play politics with children’s futures.

“The Liberals left our kids in overcrowded schools with outdated plumbing and leaks until they could use a new school announcement to gain election points. We needed a new school long before the Liberals needed an election win,” said Rushton, a production manager at Oxford Frozen Foods and the former chief of the Oxford Fire Department.

NDP candidate Larry Duchesne, like Rushton, said the byelection will be about sending a message to the government. And while his party has not done well in the riding, he said there’s no time like the present.

“We need to send a message that the people are mad at government that they’re not investing enough in health care and keeping people healthy,” Duchesne said. “Electing a Liberal would be like saying everything is OK and we like what you’re doing. If you want to send a message, vote NDP.”

He said his election team is ready to go and his campaign has set up its headquarters in Springhill.

“This is all about health care,” said Duchesne, the former leader of the NDP on P.E.I. who now is working as a journalist. “The No. 1 issue I’m hearing on the doorsteps across Cumberland County is the shortage of doctors and the ER closures as well as the lack of nursing care.”

Bill Archer will be representing the Atlantica Party. He ran in Cumberland North last year.

Previous election results

Jamie Baillie, PC, 3,536

Kenny John Jackson, Lib, 2779

Larry Duchesne, NDP, 398

Thor Lengies, Atlantica, 154

Jamie Baillie, PC, 3655

Kenny John Jackson, Lib, 2,884

Larry Duchesne, NDP, 486

Bruce McCulloch, Green, 147

2010 byelection

Jamie Baillie, PC, 3,262

Kenny John Jackson, Lib, 2,165

Scott McKee, NDP, 276

Murray Scott, PC, 5,082

Andrew Kernohan, NDP, 753

Mary Dee MacPherson, Lib, 681

James Dessart, Green, 92

David Amos, Independent, 13

http://thechronicleherald.ca/n.....land-south
RCO

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Baillie's former riding up for grabs in June byelection

Former Tory leader held Cumberland South for almost eight years

Jean Laroche · CBC News · Posted: May 17, 2018 2:09 PM AT | Last Updated: May 17

Jamie Baillie, the former leader of the Nova Scotia Progressive Conservative Party, was forced to step down in January. (Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press)

Premier Stephen McNeil has chosen June 19 as the date voters in the constituency of Cumberland South will choose their next provincial representative.

The seat had been held by former Progressive Conservative leader Jamie Baillie for almost eight years. He first won the seat in a byelection in 2010.

But in January Baillie was forced to resign following an investigation into his behaviour — after someone approached the party with allegations he had acted inappropriately. Party officials refused to discuss the details of their internal investigation.

McNeil said the byelection was called for June so campaigning could be finished before people started their summer.

McNeil heads to Springhill

The Liberal leader is hoping his party's standard bearer, Scott Lockhart, will have more success than Kenny John Jackson, the Liberal candidate in last May's general election. Jackson finished second to Baillie by 757 votes.

"We had 40 percent of the vote in that campaign and I think you're obviously running against a leader," McNeil told reporters in Halifax, before heading to Springhill to campaign with Lockhard. "[It] was a good showing of support for our candidate, for our party.

"This is an opportunity for the people of Cumberland South to elect someone who will be sitting at the caucus table of the governing party."

In recent weeks the governing party has promised a new school in the riding, along with a long-awaited bridge replacement near Amherst. A news release issued by local Liberal campaign organizers highlighted those two pre-byelection announcements.

"Knowing the Rainbow Bridge will be replaced, and that Springhill will receive a brand new elementary school is positive news that the community has rallied around," said a news release from the local campaign.

'It's rooted in a kind of cynicism'

NDP Leader Gary Burrill was unimpressed with the Liberal message.

"This is an approach to politics in Nova Scotia that is very old, that is not very attractive," he said. "It's not very compelling.

"It's rooted in a kind of cynicism. I think people are at a place where they're looking for something more hopeful, something with a little more character and integrity about it."

The NDP candidate in the race is Larry Duchesne, who garnered 398 votes or six percent of the overall ballots in May 2017.

Tory Rushton is running for the Progressive Conservatives.

People in Cumberland South will have plenty of opportunity to decide who they want to represent them. A continuous poll will open on Monday at the returning office, which will be set up at the Royal Canadian Legion in Springhill.

An advanced poll will be held in Parrsboro for seven days from Saturday, June 9, to Saturday, June 16, except Sunday. Community polls will be held in Brookdale and Wentworth Centre on Friday, June 15, and Saturday, June 16.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4667093
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 30, 2018 3:47 pm Updated: May 31, 2018 9:27 am

Candidates for Cumberland South by-election finalized

By Clara Nishida Global News

The candidates in the running to represent the riding of former Nova Scotia PC Leader Jamie Baillie have been finalized.

Larry Duchesne from the NDP, Scott Lockhart from the Liberal party, Bruce W. McCulloch from the Green Party, and Tory Rushton from the Progressive Conservatives, are the four candidates nominated in the Cumberland South by-election.

Nominations officially closed at 2 p.m. on Wednesday.

Baillie was the leader of the Tories until he resigned from his post on Jan. 24 after being accused of sexual misconduct.

Early voting for the by-election opens soon, and will be possible every Monday through Saturday up to election day on June 19.

On election day, eligible voters must go to an assigned poll location.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4242751/nova-scotia-politics-cumberland-south/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it seems were in the by election season ? also one in Nova Scotia on Tuesday , should be an easy hold for the pc's in theory although ns liberals have posted some strong results there even when Baillie was leader and mla )

Provincial byelection in Nova Scotia to replace Jamie Baillie to be held Tuesday

The Canadian Press

Published: 3 hours ago
Updated: 2 hours ago

HALIFAX — A provincial byelection will be held Tuesday in northern Nova Scotia to replace former Progressive Conservative leader Jamie Baillie.

He resigned in January following an internal investigation into allegations he had acted inappropriately — though no details were ever released.

Baillie represented the district of Cumberland South for almost eight years.

There are four candidates in the race: New Democrat Larry Duchesne; Liberal Scott Lockhart; Green party member Bruce McCulloch; and Progressive Conservative Tory Rushton.

Premier Stephen McNeil called for the election on May 17, and early voting was offered every Monday through Saturday after nominations closed on May 30.

The polls close Tuesday at 8 p.m., and Elections Nova Scotia will provide live unofficial results online.

The Canadian Press

http://www.capebretonpost.com/.....ay-219399/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voters to cast ballots Tuesday in Cumberland South by-election

Darrell Cole (darrell.cole@amherstnews.ca)

Published: 16 hours ago

Cumberland South
Cumberland South - Elections Nova Scotia graphic

Health care key issue as voters elect Baillie’s replacement

SPRINGHILL – If there’s one thing that has voters stirred up in Cumberland South, it’s the state of health care in the riding amid doctor shortages and numerous ER closures at hospitals in Springhill and Parrsboro.

“It’s something that everyone is talking about, and it’s an issue that’s at the top of everyone’s mind,” retired Anglican minister Frank Likely said Monday. “All the candidates are talking about it as the biggest issue, but no one is really saying what they’re going to do about it.”

Just under 11,000 voters are eligible to cast ballots in Tuesday’s by-election that will replace former MLA and PC leader Jamie Baillie, who resigned abruptly earlier this year amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

There are four candidates vying for the seat including former Oxford fire chief Tory Rushton, who’s representing the Progressive Conservatives; Liberal Scott Lockhart, who was at one time president of the Cumberland South PC Association; New Democrat Larry Duchesne, who writes for an online news service based in Pugwash and Bruce McCulloch of the Green Party, who ran unsuccessfully for the party in 2013.

Likely, who said he has yet to decide who to vote for on Tuesday, believes the vote will be closer than many think. He feels it could come down to who people think has the strongest personality to represent their concerns in Halifax.

That’s especially true when it comes to health care.

“What we need is someone who is not afraid to speak their mind in the legislature and is not scared to stand up and stomp their feet and make the most noise every time there’s an ER closure,” said Likely, who also writes a column for The Citizen-Record. “I think that’s who the people are looking for.”

Lockhart feels good about his campaign, saying he has knocked on more than 3,000 doors and worn out at least one pair of shoes.

“I’ve been to places and met a lot of people who said they have never been approached by a politician since Guy Brown,” he said. “I’ve had a great response at the door and for everyone negative response I get there are 20 positive ones.”

Lockhart said he is asking the voters to take a chance on him for the next three years and pointed out if he’s elected he will be a member of the government caucus. He said that will allow him to better address issues in the riding, such as health care.

“You know at the end the three years that’s left in the mandate if I haven’t done my job then the people can get rid of me,” Lockhart said. “I think from the campaign people have seen how hard I’m willing to work for them.

“On Wednesday, the government will still be the government and if I’m elected I’ll be a member of that government. I’m not saying I have the fix, but I’m willing to work with people to find solutions as opposed to complaining about everything and having no solutions.”

Lockhart wants to have a health fair at the high school to entice students to consider a medical career, either as a doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner or technician.

Rushton is running in a riding that’s traditionally voted PC under Murray Scott and Baillie. He doesn't want his supporters to take anything for granted.

“Health care is big, but so is education and, depending on where you live in the riding, roads,” Rushton said. “A lot of people in this area don’t have a family doctor or their doctor is leaving soon. There are constant ER closures and it’s wearing on people. People are very concerned about this.”

Rushton said he has been working hard at getting elected since his nomination in early March. He feels very positive going into the final day, but knows it’s a strong slate of candidates.

“Every vote counts and we have to get everyone out to the polls,” Rushton said. “If I’m elected I will be in opposition, but I will be a critic and be able to speak a lot in the legislature, more than someone who will be on the government back benches. I will be the voice for Cumberland South and build relationships with the ministers and MLAs and represent the riding.”

Duchesne, a former leader of the NDP on P.E.I., is confident he will increase his party’s vote. He said people have told him how unhappy they are with the government’s record on health care.

“People are more engaged with us than they would’ve been in previous elections. That’s a good sign,” Duchesne said. “You can tell people are upset with what the government has done, or not done, on health care and the continued ER closures and the lack of doctors.”

McCulloch is hoping enough people will appreciate an alternate view of government and choose to vote Green. It’s a party that continues to make gains in public opinion and now has two MLAs on Prince Edward Island, one in New Brunswick and another in Ontario.

“We’re a fiscally conservative party that’s socially progressive and we have some ideas that we’re quite willing to share,” McCulloch said. “We’re hoping people will consider an alternative approach to government. Their voice would show the start of a green wave in Nova Scotia.”

The Liberals presently have a four-seat majority in the legislature, holding 27 of the 50 seats with the Progressive Conservatives holding 16 and the NDP seven. If the Conservatives or NDP win, it will reduce the majority to three.

Polls are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

People must vote at their designated poll that’s listed on the voter information card that came in a yellow envelope. Those with a card, must also bring an acceptable ID when they vote.

Those without a voter information card can still vote. They can register when they go to vote. To find out where they vote, enter an address from a computer or smartphone at https://enstools.gov.ns.ca/edinfo2012/Location.aspx.

For more information, go to https://electionsnovascotia.ca/CumberlandSouth2018 .

darrell.cole@amherstnews.ca

http://www.cumberlandnewsnow.c.....on-219486/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provincial byelection in N.S. to replace Jamie Baillie goes to Conservative

Tory Rushton
Tory Rushton is the new MLA for the riding of Cumberland South following a byelection on June 19, 2018. (Tory Rushton/Twitter)

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Published Wednesday, June 20, 2018 7:41AM ADT

HALIFAX -- The Progressive Conservatives retained Nova Scotia's Cumberland South riding in a provincial byelection Tuesday to replace former Tory leader Jamie Baillie.

Baillie resigned in January following an internal investigation into allegations he had acted inappropriately -- though no details were ever released.

Tory Rushton kept the northern Nova Scotia riding, which Baillie had represented for almost eight years, for the Conservatives.

Liberal Scott Lockhart finished second, followed by New Democrat Larry Duchesne and Green party member Bruce McCulloch.

Premier Stephen McNeil called the byelection on May 17.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/provincial-byelection-in-n-s-to-replace-jamie-baillie-goes-to-conservative-1.3980957
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( by election wasn't even close , huge pc win , with liberals second , ndp barely beat the green candidate )

Tories win in Jamie Baillie's former Cumberland South riding

Progressive Conservative Tory Rushton wins seat with nearly double the number of votes of Liberal candidate

Mairin Prentiss · Posted: Jun 19, 2018 9:48 PM AT | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

Progressive Conservative candidate Tory Rushton (ToryRushton.ca)

Progressive Conservative Tory Rushton has won a seat in the Nova Scotia Legislature.

Rushton emerged as the winner of the Cumberland South byelection Tuesday, defeating Liberal candidate Scott Lockhart, New Democrat candidate Larry Duchesne and Green candidate Bruce W. McCulloch.

As of 11:30 p.m., Rushton had 3,417 votes, followed by Lockhart with 1,829, according to unofficial results from Elections Nova Scotia.

Duchesne earned 292 votes and McCulloch had 235 in the riding held until January by former PC party leader Jamie Baillie that includes Oxford, Parrsboro and Springhill.

•Meet the 4 candidates vying for office in Cumberland South

Rushton said the concerns he was hearing on doorsteps were ER closures and roads. He said he plans to work with all sides of government to solve some of the health care issues in the riding related to ER closures and a lack of family doctors.

He attributed his success to his ability to appeal to a broad range of voters.

"I managed to pull in some of those ages who haven't necessarily voted ever, I think," said Rushton. "I was hearing stories on the doorstep right up until today that people who never, ever voted and they were happy that there was a younger person running and they wanted to support it to see what would happen."

Lockhart wished Rushton the best of luck, and appeared to suggest both the Tories and Liberals were to blame for his defeat.

"I heard a lot of people make negative comments on the [premier] or whatever and I was up against that and it was hard to defend that," he said.

"Jamie [Baillie,] I think that he disappointed everybody a lot and I guess not enough because I didn't win … I just think this area has been Conservative for a long time."

Interim PC Leader Karla MacFarlane said in statement Rushton's win sends a message to the governing Liberals.

"People in Cumberland South need doctors, they need their roads repaired, they need better access to emergency health care, and they need more action from Stephen McNeil and his Liberal government," said MacFarlane. "They were clear tonight that they do not have trust in this premier to deliver on these things."

Baillie forced to resign

Baillie was forced to resign in January following an investigation into his behaviour, after someone came to the party with an allegation he had acted inappropriately.

Sources told CBC News the allegation involved a female staff member in the caucus office. Party officials refused to discuss the details of their investigation.

Baillie first won the riding in a 2010 byelection with 57 per cent of the vote.

In the 2013 general election, Baillie won by 771 votes.

In last year's May election, Liberal candidate Kenny John Jackson lost to Baillie by 757 votes.

Liberals had high hopes

With the Liberals getting 40 per cent of the vote in the 2017 campaign, Premier Stephen McNeil told reporters in May that it was a good showing of support for the party and an opportunity for Cumberland South to have a seat at the caucus table with the governing party.

McNeil joined Lockhart on the campaign trail while showcasing the pre-byelection announcements of a new elementary school in Springhill and a long-awaited replacement bridge near Amherst.

The Liberal message was criticized as an old politics routine by both NDP Leader Gary Burrill and Rushton, but McNeil said the school and bridge were not election issues and would be built no matter who holds the seat.

The PCs now hold 17 seats in the Nova Scotia House of Assembly. The Liberals have 27 and the NDP hold 7.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/tories-win-in-cumberland-south-byelection-1.4713438

Jump to: