Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Hey, it's the anniversary of D-Day!! Reply with quote

Nobody seems to be noticing, but on this day, in 1944, there were some Canadians bobbing around in a landing craft, amongst the first land on the beaches of Normandy. And at the end of the day, they were the most advanced element of the Allied forces. The Americans were still 'back on the beach, and the British were doing better, but behind the Canadians.

Canadians seem to think we didn't do much. At the beginning of World War I, Canadians were despised for their lack of parade-square discipline -- along with other colonial whites, like the Aussies. They marched the best of Newfoundland's youth out into the field in nice little squares, excellent targets for artillery. We all know what happened.

By the end of the war, the Canadians were the allies storm troopers, the ones advanced a hundred yards behind the artillery and drove the bayonets into the confused Germans. Don't kid yourself, that's what World War I was like.

In World War II, the Canadians had the job of clearing the port of Rotterdam, where the Germans put up the greatest fight. The allies needed a major port capable of off-loading ocean-going ships. it was vital to the war effort. The Germans flooded the area, flat as a saucer, and Canadians had to do things like wade through chin-high water holding their weapon above their heads, to take out a machine-gun nest.

No movies made of that!

We don't recognize something about our past. The Canadian spirit, as it exists in the population, was born out of the comradeship of war. Amongst the troops. They came back thinking they had ended war forever. The Anglo-Canadian had endured gunfire with people whose parents came from the Ukraine, or Britain or even Canada ... and somehow, they had to make their suffering mean something. They wanted something ... and all they really knew that when it comes to a fight, where your grandparents came from doesn't mean shit.

World War II was different, but now we were players. We hit above our weight. But we couldn't ever quite be easy with the genesis of it all in the horror or war. We forgot that part of it. If ye break faith with we who die we shall not rest, though poppies grow on Flanders Fields."

We broke faith.

This is now the patriarchy ... nobody dares speak up. I think I feel a touch of nausea, so I'll stop here.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ashamed to admit I had never read about the port of Rotterdam or the Battle of the Scheldt till you posted it above and had me start seeking out information.

Absolutely incredible
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to stir yourself, read a bit about the last bit of World War I. Particularly the last 100 days. The truth is that the classic British Army was decimated, virtually wiped out by about 1916. When they drafted people, 3 out of 5 weren't physically fit for service! The French army had mutinied. That's the slog they fed the colonial troops into.

The final stages of the war were fought by the colonial troops and the residue of the French and British armies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%27s_Hundred_Days

Canadians were the point of the spear in every one of the last battles. Aussies, too. In the end, they agreed upon an Armistice, and the German army just quit. And that's how the first World War really ended. The Armistice was turned into a complete surrender by the Allies.

The German Army was no longer willing to show up to the fight! The Americans hardly got involved.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing!

Thank you for sharing that.

Jump to: