Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Tanya Granic Allen dropped as Ont pc candidate Reply with quote

( after 2 days without hydro from the power outage I was surprised to learn Tanya Granic Allen had been dropped this weekend as a candidate , although perhaps she was just too controversial for her own good and an odd candidate in Mississauga to begin with as she had little roots there )

Controversial candidate Tanya Granic Allen dropped from Tory roster

Tanya Granic Allen was dropped by the Ontario PCs after footage from 2014 surfaced of her spreading what's being called hate and homophobia.

The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, May 6, 2018 11:39AM EDT

Ontario's Progressive Conservatives have dropped a controversial candidate from their roster ahead of the spring election, with the party's leader saying "her characterization of certain issues and people has been irresponsible."

Tanya Granic Allen, a social conservative and outspoken opponent of the province's sex education curriculum, has been taken off the PC ballot in Mississauga Centre just over a month before Ontarians go to the polls.

PC Leader Doug Ford said in a statement Saturday that the Tories "are a party comprised of people with diverse views that if expressed responsibly we would respect."

Tanya Granic Allen
Tanya Granic Allen talks with media as she attends the Ontario Progressive Conservative Leadership announcement in Markham, Ont. on Saturday, March 10, 2018. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young)

Granic Allen responded to her dismissal on Twitter, saying she was "disappointed" to be informed of the decision by Ford's campaign manager.

"I'll have more to say about this and Ontario politics in the coming days," she wrote.

Granic Allen's dismissal came just hours after the Ontario Liberal Party shared an edited video showing her expressing views the Liberals described as representing "hatred and homophobia."

The clip posted on the Liberals' website shows Granic Allen discussing sex education in Croatia, saying that when she sees the country "trying to push radical sexualization on the young, or gay marriage, I almost vomit in disbelief."

Granic Allen's comments have landed her in hot water before. Last month, she defended comments she made online years ago about Muslims and gay marriage.

Before securing the PC nomination in Mississauga Centre, Granic Allen denied that posts in which she suggested gay marriage shouldn't be legalized in the United Kingdom represented homophobic views.

She also said posts saying women should not wear burkas in public do not represent Islamophobia.

Ford has been under constant pressure from the Liberals and New Democrats to drop Granic Allen from the ballot, but repeatedly refused.

When her old posts surfaced in April, Ford said in a statement that "our base is growing, and we want all Ontarians to feel like they have a place in our party."

Ford and Granic Allen were considered the more socially conservative candidates in the Tory leadership race, and Granic Allen was the only one to appear by Ford's side as he was declared the winner in March.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/controversial-candidate-tanya-granic-allen-dropped-from-tory-roster-1.3917309
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controversial Candidate Tanya Granic Allen is No Longer a Candidate in Mississauga Centre

by Alan Kan on May 6, 2018

in News,
Hot Topics,
Opinion,
Politics

In what has been an unprecedented series of events in Mississauga concerning the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party, a prominent candidate in one of the city’s ridings, who months ago was contesting for the party leadership, has now been disqualified to run to become an MPP weeks after she won the party’s nomination.

Tanya Granic Allen became the PC candidate in Mississauga Centre on April 21, when the riding’s nomination was reopened after the party declared that ‘irregularities during the process’ were discovered. But after a series of controversial remarks Granic Allen said in the past surfaced, PC leader Doug Ford released this statement on last Saturday:

The “characterization on certain issues and people” that was deemed irresponsible was in reference to the comments Granic Allen made about hijabs worn by Muslim women, comparing them to ninjas or bank robbers.

If that wasn’t already bad enough, the Liberals released video of Granic Allen giving her views on gay marriage, abortion, and the issue she is most known for, sex education. The transcripts of what she said are in the following tweet:

Mere hours later Ford announced that the runner up to that April 21 nomination meeting, registered nurse Natalia Kusendova, would now be the PC candidate in Mississauga Centre. But it’s not as though Granic Allen herself will now go off quietly into the night.

Where do you even start with this story?

Forget the fact that Granic Allen actually lives in a village outside Owen Sound and had a tepid connection to Canada’s sixth largest city at best, the members of her party voted in the nomination and duly selected her. It’s highly unlikely there were irregularities in the second nomination, otherwise Ford would not have picked Kusendova as the candidate just because she was the runner up.

But if that was the candidate Ford preferred anyway, why allow Granic Allen to go through the nomination process at all? Her controversial remarks came out during the nomination campaign when candidates were still hustling for votes from registered party members in Mississauga Centre. Ford could have disqualified her before the vote took place, but he didn’t and allowed the “voters to decide.” Now apparently that is not the case.

I suspect that Ford’s advisers reminded him that Stephen Harper lost the 2004 election because some of his candidates during the campaign went off script and said things that scared away enough votes from the party, and thought it best to clamp down on the problem before it festered during the election campaign.

But this appeared poorly handled from a political and logistical aspect. Granic Allen is not only a former leadership candidate; her supporters heavily backed Ford as their second choice. Unless the losing candidate for the leadership chose to leave on her own terms (at least in the open), this kind of thing has frankly never happened.

This might also show some voters that Ford, the man who was known in Toronto City Hall as a bit of a steamroller, can be swayed (or will “flip flop”). Ford got into trouble last week when he was filmed during a meeting with party members saying he would allow development on the Greenbelt, and later recanted that idea when the video came out.

With another video comes out and makes Ford change his mind again, you may start wondering if Ford actually stands for something. Say what you will about Rob Ford, I think he would have just dismissed these controversies and plowed on ahead.

On the other hand, perhaps these are signs that Ford is maturing a bit as a political candidate, and showing that he understands what is needed for an Ontario PC Party in 2018 to actually win an election. And he’s going to need some political adeptness; the Liberals after 15 years in power are showing they will do what it takes to win, and they’re digging up every little bit of information they can to use against Ford. If you thought previous provincial elections were tough sloughs, what we’re about to see may top them all.

Another caveat is that Granic Allen has proven, at the very least, that she is not the type of person to stay quiet. She is very vocal about her views on social media and in public, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she aligned herself with one of the smaller conservative parties running in this election whose members feel spurned by the established Tories, such as the Trillium Party.

For now, the saga of the Tanya Granic Allen odyssey into Ontario and Mississauga politics is over. But I’ll leave the last word to the federal MP for Mississauga Centre, Omar Alghabra, who summed up this entire situation with a great one liner:

https://www.insauga.com/controversial-candidate-tanya-granic-allen-is-no-longer-a-candidate-in-mississauga-centre
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

told you so

By Michael Coren. Published on May 7, 2018 5:00am

Tanya Granic Allen, a social conservative and outspoken opponent of the province's sex education curriculum, has been taken off the PC ballot in Mississauga Centre just over a month before Ontarians go to the polls. Allen, then an Ontario PC leadership candidate, arrives to participate in a debate in Ottawa on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

I hate to say, “I told you so,” but I’m afraid I really did tell you so. I’ve twice written columns here about the extremist views held by former Ontario PC Party leadership candidate Tanya Granic Allen, and now this opponent of same-sex marriage, abortion rights, and Ontario’s sex ed curriculum has finally been jettisoned by Doug Ford as the high-profile candidate for Mississauga Centre.

In a shock announcement on Saturday, the Tory leader stated that, “Tanya Granic Allen will no longer be a candidate for Ontario PC Party. We are a party comprised of people with diverse views that, if expressed responsibly, we would respect. However, the fact is her characterization of certain issues and people has been irresponsible. Our party remains focused on defeating Kathleen Wynne and bringing relief to families across Ontario.”

Fair enough of course, if somewhat hypocritical, but the real questions are why now, and will it hurt or hinder Ford and his party? The reality is that Granic Allen’s harsh, hard opinions have been well known for years – it’s the very reason she came to prominence, and why she could gain such active support, that she then threw behind Ford, thus enabling him to become party leader. In the very first televised leadership debate, Allen sat a yard away from Ford and emphasized her social conservatism, even making a bizarre reference to the teaching of anal sex in Ontario’s schools!

Last month it was revealed that she’d mocked the wearing of the niqab and burka, tweeting that, “I don’t believe people should dress like ninjas.” That revelation earned a rebuke from the party, but she remained a candidate.

Now a 2014 speech to a Croatian Catholic meeting has come to light, where Granic Allen explained there that there was an attempt in Croatia to “push radical sexual education on the young or gay marriage – you know I almost vomit in disbelief. I’m like, ‘Are you kidding me?’” A quote from 2000 was also made public recently, in which she allegedly said that she feels like a survivor of an “abortion holocaust” in Canada, and that “If the Jews were still being killed, there would be a debate in this country.”

The first comment is crass and vulgar, but entirely consistent with her public opinions. The second displays an appalling insensitivity, but again is typical of the anti-abortion movement, where attempts are made to draw moral parallels between Nazi mass slaughter, and a woman’s right to choose. Again, however, none of this comes as much of a surprise.

But in politics, just as in war, timing is everything. The election officially begins this week, and as it does the PCs have effectively announced to traditionally moderate Ontarians that the party is not as extreme as they thought, and that people like Tanya Granic Allen have no place in their mild-mannered ranks. It’s all show of course, and there are several other candidates running who oppose equal marriage, sex ed, and abortion rights.

But it looks good, and the people running the Ford campaign have long been profoundly worried about Granic Allen being elected, embarrassing the party, and stealing the media limelight. There’s a very good chance, in fact, that this had been planned for some time. As one MPP said to me two weeks ago, “Tanya has a bit of a Messiah complex, is not a team player, and can do us a great deal of damage.”

Whether her treatment will hurt the party is open to debate. Campaign Life Coalition vice president Jeff Gunnarson said over the weekend that, “If Doug Ford has declared war on Social Conservatives we’re ready to do battle. We have ten thousand paid up troops. They are trained, they are eager and they will strike when given the word. This is the worst mistake Ford has made and will make on this campaign. He’s going to eat that decision.”

Risibly strong words, and it’s one thing for social conservatives to flood a party membership and influence a leadership content, quite another for them to make a dent on a provincial election. The seats where they have a following are generally solidly PC anyway, and their people refusing to vote for the party will make little difference. They’re not going to vote Liberal or NDP, and the right-wing fringe parties are irrelevant. In fact, Patrick Brown did the same thing after he became leader, with the support of the hard right. Once in charge he rejected their support, and did all that he could to remove social conservative candidates. Granic Allen made that point repeatedly, but has now become a victim of the policy; not because of the hated Patrick Brown, but the beloved Doug Ford.

The socons will be making a lot of noise in the next few days about all this, but the volume will fade, and everybody will move on. It’s déjà vu all over again, Ontario Tory style. Sorry Tanya, you probably feel – well – rather sick.

More from iPolitics

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/07/i-told-you-so-tanya-granic-allen/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Tanya Granic Allen is claiming she was smeared and that although she is against same sex marriage she didn't bring it up during the leadership campaign and accepts the fact its a settled federal issue not a provincial one )

Tanya Granic Allen: I've been slandered. It's time to set the facts straight

The accusation by the Liberals and the press that I am somehow against the dignity and human rights of LGBT+ people is a lie

Tanya Granic Allen speaks with a National Post reporter following a campaign event in Mississauga, Ont., on April 5, 2018.Tyler Anderson/National Post

Special to National Post

Tanya Granic Allen

May 9, 2018
1:10 PM EDT

Filed under
Full Comment

A lot has been said about me in the media in the past few weeks. In these stories, quotes were taken out of context and slanderous allegations made.

I wanted to explain my position weeks ago. I was under strict instructions, however, from Doug Ford’s team to be quiet and let them handle it. I obliged. I was a “team player.” I didn’t speak with the mainstream media.

That was a mistake. Ford’s team did nothing to help me — indeed, they cast me aside. So I’ll speak now, and set the facts straight.

I am a daughter of immigrants: my mother is from Malta, my father is from Croatia. Croatia was ruled by the Yugoslav Communists for generations, people of all faiths (Croatia has a massive Catholic majority) were persecuted. As in all Marxist regimes, it was official policy to attack the traditional family and the bond between parents and children. The country liberated itself in the 1990s after a bloody war. My family experienced much of this upheaval; some were killed.

Ontario PC supporters, including those protesting the ejection of candidate Tanya Granic Allen from the PC list of candidates, gather in Toronto ahead of the first televised Ontario election leaders debate on May 7, 2018. Chris Young/CP

In 2014, while eight months pregnant (and on medication with a serious related illness) I spoke at a Catholic Croatian youth conference, at a Croatian Catholic Church in Ontario. I expressed my shock (“vomit in disbelief” was the emotive phrase I used) that the then-government of Croatia, a land only recently free, was embracing a policy of compulsory sex-ed and promotion of the doctrine of gay marriage on the children. My comment of sickened disbelief was not aimed at gay marriage per se, but at the fact that so many lives had been lost to secure our freedom of religion, only to have new oppressors emerge some 20 years later.

As a practicing Catholic, I support the teachings of the Catholic Church, including the traditional definition of marriage. I support that teaching,and I also believe in the dignity of all individuals. I am also a proud Canadian, and I obey our laws, even those I disagree with. In my campaign for Ontario PC leader, and in Mississauga Centre, not once did I comment on the issue of same-sex marriage. That is a long-settled federal issue, not a provincial one.

As a practicing Catholic, I support the teachings of the Catholic Church, including the traditional definition of marriage

-
The accusation by the Liberals and the press that I am somehow against the dignity and human rights of LGBT+ people — or to use the popular term, “homophobic” — is a lie. Furthermore, it is a slur against the Catholic faith and, indeed, against people of all faiths who hold their religious values dear, but who are also responsible citizens of a free and democratic and tolerant Canada.

In 2013, Quebec introduced the Charter of Values, which sought to limit these freedoms by restricting religious expression from the public square. At the time, I criticized Quebec for its radical, anti-religious secularism; for trying to ban the turban, the cross, the yarmulke, the hijab, and, yes, face veils like the niqab and the burka.

At the time, I wrote a tongue-in-cheek blog in an attempt to expose their discrimination against freedom of religion. Even though I take issue with the niqab and the burka, I also support freedom of expression and freedom of religion. If a woman in Canada, of her own free will, wants to wear such garments, then it is her right to do so. Of course, my concerns with the burka and niqab, despite my overall defence of religious liberty, were twisted by the Liberals and the Toronto Star into an accusation that I was “Islamophobic.”

I am not against sexual education and believe it has a place. But not Wynne’s radical version

-

In 2016, I took over as head of a parental rights group called Parents As First Educators (PAFE). Our focus has been the repeal of the anti-family, anti-religion Kathleen Wynne sex-education curriculum. I am not against sexual education and believe it has a place. But not Wynne’s radical version. I have been an outspoken advocate for the rights of all parents in this province, which include those from the Jewish, Muslim, atheist, Christian, Sikh, Hindu, and LGBT+ community.

For this, I have been accused of wanting to force my religious views on the people of Ontario using the sex-ed curriculum. That is incorrect. I support the true separation of church and state, but that separation has to go both ways, which includes religious liberty free of state interference. Ontario parents have had to endure the state’s overreach into their lives under Premier Wynne. I simply hope to restore a more proper balance.

Thankfully, that may soon come. The days are numbered for the Kathleen Wynne Liberals. And while Doug Ford has broken the promise he made to me, I am not going away. Nor is PAFE. Nor are the other freedom-loving, pro-family voters and activists who helped make Doug Ford PC leader. When the PCs win a majority government on June 7, we all look forward to continuing the fight for Ontario children, parents, and families.

Tanya Granic Allen is the president of Parents As First Educators (PAFE) and was a candidate for the 2018 Ontario PC Leadership.

http://nationalpost.com/opinio.....s-straight

Jump to: