Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: North Korea to Release All American Detainees Reply with quote

Quote:
The release of three US nationals currently detained in North Korea is "imminent," according to an official with knowledge of the ongoing negotiations.

The official told CNN the North Koreans made the decision to free the Americans two months ago, and that North Korea's Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho had proposed their release during his visit to Sweden in March.

US officials insisted at the time that their release "must not be related or used to loosen the main issue of denuclearization," the source said.

The three Americans, Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak-song and Kim Sang Duk, also known as Tony Kim, have been detained in North Korea for months.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/02/asia/north-korea-americans-detained-intl/index.html
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really belongs on the Everyone in Trumpworld knows he's an idiot thread.

I can't conceive of how this can be happening without there being a total realignment of China and America being involved. And to be fair to TC, nobody on the outside could have either. Whether the PM of South Korea is "blowing smoke" or not, they have said the re-unification of Korea -- probably a good thing -- is already underway.

The price is denuclearization. If they don't pay that price, it's a bad deal. Frankly, I think North Korea is a client state of China, and their nuclear program is China's wild card ... if so, they are giving it up for something else, and its not the reunification of Korea.

That is the dazzling question, to me. Care to speculate?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

I can't conceive of how this can be happening without there being a total realignment of China and America being involved.

Agreed.
Economics is the most powerful weapon the United States has in its arsenal.

China has grown into the economy they have on the back of being a lower cost source for much of the worlds first world economies and effectively reinvested much of that revenue and developed themselves into a modern economy.

However they are still reliant on being a cheap source of material for the United States for a very significant piece of their exports.

I don't think its any accident that the first set of significant (IE Not panels, washing machines, etc) tariffs on China went into effect March 23rd 2018 and suddenly Kim Jong Un is in Beijing March 27th meeting with President Xi Jinping.

Then almost immediately after that meeting, all of a sudden we are seeing a very agreeable North Korea working with South Korea towards finally ending the war and potentially bringing down the divide between them.

China is not the Soviet Union, while they are "communist" they aren't quite the same principal communists of the Soviet days trying to spread the methodology around the world, I think China wants to continue to build their economy onward and upward (See Made in China 2025) and continue to urbanize their population.

The United States plays no small part in that exercise as both their economies have grown reliant on the other.

If North Korea is ultimately the roadblock between China and their goal, I would think China will align behind their best interests and the target they have been moving toward for decades rather than sticking to their geopolitical principals.

While Kim Jong Un & Moon Jae-in may get a Noble Prize for this;

I would think that somewhere in the background both President Trump & President Xi Jinping played a significant part as well.

Jump to: