Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Breakthrough with North Korea? Reply with quote

There is a big change in North Korea. It isn't being reported in Canadian papers. Apparently, the appointment of a female head of the Ontario Provincial Police is such fabulous news of another glass ceiling crashing that there's no room left to note how the world is becoming a safer place.

Trump seems to have things (once again) going his way.

Quote:
Trump agrees to first-ever meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong Un
Gregory Korte and David Jackson, USA TODAY
Published 5:21 p.m. ET March 8, 2018 | Updated 2:05 a.m. ET March 9, 2018

WASHINGTON — President Trump will meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by May for high-level talks toward a nuclear-free Korean peninsula, a South Korean official said outside the White House on Thursday.

It would be the first face-to-face meeting in history between a U.S. president and a North Korean leader.

The opening came through shuttle diplomacy by a South Korean delegation that arrived in Washington on Thursday. Trump heralded the development as a “major announcement” after speaking with the South Korean president.

"I told President Trump that in our meeting, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he's committed to denuclearization. He pledged that North Korea will refrain from any further nuclear or missile tests," South Korean national security adviser Chung Eui-yong told reporters after meeting with Trump at the White House.

Significantly, there was no insistence that the United States and South Korea suspend joint military exercises.

Chung met with Kim earlier this week, and came to Washington on Thursday to relay the message from the North Korean leader.

"I explained to President Trump that his leadership, and his maximum pressure policy, along with international solidarity, brought us to this juncture," he said.

The Trump administration has rallied the United Nations to impose ever-tightening sanctions against North Korea following a battery of missile tests. [....]
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/08/trump-major-announcement-coming-north-korea/408781002/

It looks as if Kim Il Un is creating what Scott Adams calls "a path" away from a war. He said on North Korean media reportage, that his father had always wanted a denuclearized Korea. Trumps responded that he will go hard whichever way Un chooses. This is negotation, even if it isn't taking place over a rectangular table.

It's just another show of Trump's mastery on the international stage. If he pulls this off, how do you think it will affect the mid-terms? Any thoughts?

Or maybe I am wrong. I await correction.

Let's see what happens.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation in North Korea is a by-product of inaction and political gamesmanship over the course of the last several administrations (GOP and Democrat).

I certainly can't lay that mess at the feet of the current President.
However, I can at least give credit to the fact that the needle is seemingly moving.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmo, if this gets pulled off, they'll probably give Kim Il Un a Nobel! This was called a third rail, Trump was called crazy for reacting to Kim's sabre rattling like he did.

He has somehow pushed the embargo to the point where it is causing the leadership to regret ever bringing it up. They have let North Koreans know publicly that there is the possibility of giving up the arms that North Korea has suffered for generations to create! It has been a national project. It's an immense step at the symbolic level.

I give the Rocketman some respect. It takes guts.

The fact that Trump used Twitter very skillfully to marshal public opinion isn't a reason to hold him in contempt. It's what he does with the power that counts in the end.

Jump to: